Tbourida, Morocco

I feel like there is a famous painting or maybe photograph that looks very much like this. Or maybe its such a great shot that it looks instantly classic.

This is great

Thank you both or all.
There is an interesting story behind this.
Here is a cited text which gives some general background and below that I will give the particulars of our trip.
The Tbourida in Morocco (also called Fantasia)

"One of the most popular events of the festival is a Tbourida Grand Prix. The Tbourida (also called Fantasia) is an ancient practice in the Maghreb region. It consists of a group of around ten riders wearing the traditional costumes of their tribe, elegant djellabas. The saddlery of the horses is also well decorated with handmade embroidery. The ensemble of riders and horses achieves a very colourful and photogenic frame.

The group charges, under the command of the lead rider, the M’qaddem, for around 200 metres, in a straight line in which it gets speed. At a specific point they all fire the old muskets that they are holding in a well-synchronised shot.

The effect of one single shot multiplied by ten is the apotheosis of this race. It is a huge explosion, especially if you happen to be watching the show from a position near the arrival place.
"

I was there with my long time traveling buddy and a well known European horse photographer Paula da Silva. Through Paula's influence we had already visited the ranch of a breeder of Arabians and saw his gorgeous horses. Paula had been in contact with the person in charge of the horses of the King of Morocco.
Because of her reputation, the King had his personal group- horses, rides and all- trucked to El Jadida with the express intent of having them display for us on the beach.
Although Arabians are not necessarily a big breed, all of these horses are stallions, big and argumentative.

(edit: according Paula these are Berber horses, or Barbs, which explains why they are so brawny as compared to the beautiful Arabians we saw the day before.)

Many of the charges were directly at us - and quite impressive.

the first shots on the beach are unedited just to give you an idea of how misty it was.
It was quite impressive to have these ten large horses thundering at you and then pull up when the riders fired the muskets.
We all sent pictures back for their use.

View attachment 193181 View attachment 193182 View attachment 193183 View attachment 193185 View attachment 193184

Last edited:
It looks breathtaking, as well as terrifying. :lol:

Beautiful work, Lew. The first shot shows that HCB has nuthin' on you for a decisive moment. ;)

All the king's horses and all the king's men
Were lucky to have Lew photograph them

I’m not sure what to say here. For me personally, the clear winner composition-wise is the last. But the initial image is also very serious business, but to me, there is more in the last. The haze you captured “raw” is a true gift in these. Very very nice work.

Nice photos =]

These are insane.. Enter them in to a contest. You have gold

Did you pull up the shadows or is that just how the light was?? I'm guessing it bounced up off the water, sand and made for an amazing shooting spot. These photos honestly are some of the best I have seen by my eyes. I love the painterly look that was created. Amazing

Some really nice stuff there. Very National Geographic look to them too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back