Teach me something new...

Pennywise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ilovesleepers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the past month I got my HDR images down, REAL long exposures and I just picked up some super sweet macro ability. What is something new that I should pick up??

Thanks!!

If you've got a very wide prime and can do hyper-focal (really easy) shots off the hip, scout out a location where you can sit unobserved from a spot on a fairly busy sidewalk and then get some fast acting epoxy and a silver dollar (it needs to be visible and worth picking up) and epoxy the silver dollar to the sidewalk (put a dab on the tails side and place it on the sidewalk then stand on it for 5 minutes or so till it sets). Then sit back and take candid shots of the people who try to pick it up. ;) You might want to take someone along to save your seat and talk to as cover.

You could do this with a telephoto or zoom as well but it's not as much fun.

mike

If you've got a very wide prime and can do hyper-focal (really easy) shots off the hip, scout out a location where you can sit unobserved from a spot on a fairly busy sidewalk and then get some fast acting epoxy and a silver dollar (it needs to be visible and worth picking up) and epoxy the silver dollar to the sidewalk (put a dab on the tails side and place it on the sidewalk then stand on it for 5 minutes or so till it sets). Then sit back and take candid shots of the people who try to pick it up. ;) You might want to take someone along to save your seat and talk to as cover.

You could do this with a telephoto or zoom as well but it's not as much fun.

mike

But, if you are looking to do something new, light writing is very fun, especially if you fire off a flash to capture the room as well, then you can see the floating lights spelling out whatever you want.
I was actually just thinking of doing this, but the one time I tried super glue on the widewalk, it came up somewhat easy. dont think I let it dry enough.

A good place is near a vending machine, glue down some quarters and watch people try to get free stuff :lol:

I once super-glued a dollar to a trash can right outside a super market and video taped it from my car in the parking lot. It was loads of fun until this crazy lady came by, saw me and my friend, and started yelling. Then, a little while later, when she came out of the store, she started yelling again, and point us out to random people walking by.

But as for the topic, I second the light painting. Also very fun.

Glad I could help you out on the Macros stuff! Have you tried a long exposure in a dark room with a laser pointer? You can write messages on the wall.

If you have a printer that will do photos, go to a homeless shelter near you and do some portraits so that the homeless folks can send them home to let their family know that they are still alive and thinking about them. Also, look for mothers with kids who couldn't afford to have portraits done- just because they can't afford any doesn't mean they don't deserve any. :)

mike

I haven't tried the light writing. I'll pick up various lights(and lazer pointers) and give this a try. I actually have a few cool ideas now that you guys mention this! Since I'm posting, I'll share my new found techniques...

HDR:

DSC_3571HDR.jpg

Macro(thanks DSLR noob!): quarter.

DSC_3688.jpg

Most reactions

Back