The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've taught Photoshop for a couple of years and, after being frustrated with the classroom environment, started teaching one on one.
A lot more work and less money but much more rewarding.

Lately as my own ideas have evolved, I even changed my entire method and teach more on a case study method where we look at their own images, critique them, decide how they should be edited and then work on them.

It works this way
The 'student' sends me a great bunch of raw images and, once I know where their starting point is, I chose a set of images.
After a very quick initial tour of PS and a demo of how and what, I demonstrate how I would edit their image, as simply as possible, keeping everything on clearly named layers and using smart objects so we can look at settings etc.
Then I go back and do an explanation and how-to on each technique I've used during that two hour session.
They go home with the PS image, the nef and companion file and their homework is to edit that image from scratch.
A comment from a recent student about wishing he could actually hear and see the process again struck me as eminently sensible and so I am working to find a good video audio app that will capture screen action.
My next step is to move all this process onto Skype to do distance tutoring.

Any ideas/comments?

Lew, that is an awesome idea. I would volunteer as a testing subject to help you get it ironed out but I only have LR4 and PSE 11.

If you want to actually record what your doing on the PC while your doing it, you will need something similar to fraps (FRAPS game capture video recorder fps viewer). Fraps is normally used for gaming purposes though. Just google video capture and you will get a whole list of stuff.

Think its a great idea and if its not out my price range i may be interested myself.

I think it is a great idea to do the skype or screen sharing program with it. I think that working in layers is a great way to teach PS but it can be overwhelming to a beginner. Maybe start with a step by step of even how to make the layers and what to do with each. Some students may not even fully understand why layers are so important.
What type of photoshopping are you teaching? Basic photo editing or composite type of work?

What Exactly is Photography? | In a digital world, where is photography headed?

Previously all the people I taught actually had some very, very basic knowledge and could produce basically ok pictures.
I had thought that once I get the recorder running, I will record a basic tutorial on the vocabulary of processing (contrast, color, etc) and the structure of PS.
They could listen to this before we actually worked on their own work.
If this does work, then I would be accumulating hours of photo-editing examples that could go into a library.

I did send a query to FRAPS about whether it captures microphone input also - which would be crucial of course.

Rather than soliciting potential 'clients' or giving business terms here, anyone interested should just send me a PM with their email and I will let them know how this works out.

L

Join.me is a great free option for screen sharing. You can host and people can follow along with you as you do the work. You could pair this with camtasia and record the sessions live for archival. One step further and you can use wistia or even YouTube to the host the videos. I believe wistia has login options so you could make them viewable by only currently enrolled students.

Join.me is a great free option for screen sharing. You can host and people can follow along with you as you do the work. You could pair this with camtasia and record the sessions live for archival. One step further and you can use wistia or even YouTube to the host the videos. I believe wistia has login options so you could make them viewable by only currently enrolled students.

Join.me seems to now be an for-pay service and is liable to be too costly to be cost efficient for a one to one.

Join.me seems to now be an for-pay service and is liable to be too costly to be cost efficient for a one to one.

Apologies. Haven't used this with clients in quite some time. Didn't realize they converted to subscription model. After doing a search I realize
skype offers free screen sharing which I think you mentioned already.

BTW camtasia isn't a freeware either, but works great from personal experience.

I believe Fraps does record mic sound.

For screen sharing, google teamviewer.com. I use it for work and its brilliant and can be used to transfer files also

Its pretty straight forward

you download the client as you have. you ask the student to goto TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings and click on join remote session which is just below where you downloaded the client from but in smaller print, they then just need to run the software. Once its downloaded a box will pop up that has a ID and password. They give you the ID, you click connect and then a password box appears. Put the password they have and click ok, you'll be on their desktop.

Dont be put off because you think its over kill!! use it once and you will see

Most reactions

New Topics

Back