Tecopa

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
600-4x5-tecopa-sunrise.jpg

C&C appreciated.

Aside from the vignetting, I like this a lot. It seems like the white balance is off though, everything looks too blue.

midget patrol said:
Aside from the vignetting, I like this a lot. It seems like the white balance is off though, everything looks too blue.

Cropped and warmed a bit. Thanks!

A few notes on this photo;

Tecopa and the nearby town of Shoshone are located southeast of Death Valley in an area punctuated by hot springs. The white strips along the floor of the broad wash before the mountains in this shot are akaline/salt crusts that have built up and spread out due to the thermal activity since the pliestocene period.

During the great horse raids of the early to mid 1800s, Walkara and his band of renegade Indians would steal thousands of horses from the rich California ranchos, drive them across the desert and water them here at the nearby springs, such as Resting Springs and Horse Thief Springs before continuing on to Utah and New Mexico.

Tecopa, meaning 'Wildcat,' is named after the Shoshone Chief, Tecopa, a chief who became more powerful by appointment (white people needed to talk to someone in charge). The truth was though, that Tecopa was only chief of a small band of Shoshone/Paiute Indians, but was more than willing to accept the whiteman's gifts and tributes.

By the time Tecopa died he had become quite powerful and respected through this attachment by the white people. His people took nearly one hundred horses, ran them to death, and cremated thier bodies in his honor and in mourning.

Today, although there are several commercial lodging facilities and publicly maintained hot springs, one can find naked folks frequenting the more remote springs dotting the area.

I think the area is insanely beautiful, colorful, and yet, smells a bit funny.

I'm really starting to hate you abraxas :lol:
that is one amazing part of the World you got for a backgarden, those colours and textures are just wonderful

lostprophet said:
I'm really starting to hate you abraxas :lol:
that is one amazing part of the World you got for a backgarden, those colours and textures are just wonderful

That's ok, I'm running short of self-hatred and loathing; but beyond that:

I'm noticing two big black spots on the bottom, in the brush, that mess up the whole shot. Guess I'll have to go back. :)

Thanks for the comment on the T&C. That's my biggest concern right now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back