Teleconverter

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking into a teleconverter for my 55-200 lens. I dont know what brands are good or what I should look for. I know that it will decrease the quality and all that but I just need a little more range.

I looked at the Nikon brand one but that is $500 which at that price I might as well buy a 70-300mm.

So any suggestion? Thanks!

When I get my 70-200 nothing will go on it other than a Nikon teleconverter. I have used other brands in the past, and none of them work as well. A 1.4 won't make much of a difference in your zoom range, but a 1.7 and 2.0 might suck up too much light to work well on that lens. I would get the 70-300, or save up for the 70-200/teleconverter combo.

I was looking into a teleconverter for my 55-200 lens. I dont know what brands are good or what I should look for. I know that it will decrease the quality and all that but I just need a little more range.

I looked at the Nikon brand one but that is $500 which at that price I might as well buy a 70-300mm.

So any suggestion? Thanks!

A teleconverter will decrease the apparent aperture/speed. 1.4 stops with a 1.4x teleconverter and 2 full stops with a 2x teleconverter on an already somewhat slow lens.

Stepping up to the 70-300 you don't lose any aperture/speed.

Yes, one. Don't.

TCs work best on prime lenses; less so on zooms. You'll be much better off buying the 70-300 (BTW, Nikon TCs will NOT work on anything but their pro glass) as you'll not lose the 1.4, 1.7 or 2 full stops of aperture.

TCs work best on prime lenses; less so on zooms. You'll be much better off buying the 70-300

:thumbup:

You pretty much need to start off with good glass in order to lessen the degradation of a TC. I have a 70-200 2.8, and have used a TC14EII on it.....while the quality was still acceptable, the difference was very noticeable to me.

I modified my TC (see below) so I could use it on my older 500mm f/4P, which gives me a 700mm f/5.6 with very little degradation, other than you had better keep it mighty still.

http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/

TCs work best on prime lenses; less so on zooms. You'll be much better off buying the 70-300

:thumbup:

You pretty much need to start off with good glass in order to lessen the degradation of a TC. I have a 70-200 2.8, and have used a TC14EII on it.....while the quality was still acceptable, the difference was very noticeable to me.

I modified my TC (see below) so I could use it on my older 500mm f/4P, which gives me a 700mm f/5.6 with very little degradation, other than you had better keep it mighty still.

Christophe Heyman Photography - Nikon Pages

:thumbup: + 1

Before you buy a TC I would suggest that you go to a good photography shop with your lens and try them out. Look at the results on your computer and decide if you are satisfied with the quality of the photos it will produce. The best quality is only going to come from a top quality TC added to top quality glass. It's just the nature of the beast.

Most reactions

Back