Telephoto lens advice

Crazydad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got D60 and need to get a good zoom for mainly outdoor sports (soccer, biking, etc.). I'm looking at the Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR but was wondering what other lenses I should look at.

My budget is about $700 max and I do need 300mm so I can cover the whole field.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

The Tokina 80-400 would cover that range, at the top end of your budget. It's a tack sharp lens, but with no Vibration Reduction. Also, both are slow glass.

Will the sports always be during sunlit hours?

Will the sports always be during sunlit hours?

I was wondering the same thing. If you're going to be shooting mostly in the mid day or so, you could get away with the Tokina or a Nikon version. Like Tolyk said, though, the Tokina doesn't have VR. My VR is a monopod though.

One more thing to consider is the focusing. I'm pretty sure the D40 and 60 only support AF-S lenses. So, any old lens will not focus. You can mount it, but no focusing.

~Michael~

I'd look around for something used in the 2.8 range such as the 80-200; 4.5 is awfully slow for sports work. There's a reason that sports photographers spend a LOT of money on glass. I know the 200 is shorter, but you can make that up by cropping, and a sharp small image is better than a soft large one.

Will the sports always be during sunlit hours?[/quote]

For now, yes, always during sunlit hours.

Even if I went down to 200mm, does anyone know of a faster lens near the $700 range?

You're not going to get too awful fast in a $700 range. I"m sure Sigma or Tamron or Tokina make nice ones that are like 4.5 but to start at 2.8, you're looking in the $800 or so range. I like the Sigma 70-200 2.8 but it won't focus on the 60

~Michael~

Curse the budget!!!!

I appreciate the info everyone.

Too bad Nikon doesn't have other versions of thier 70-200 like Canon's 70-200 f/4L for about $500. He could have gotten that and a 1.4x TC and stayed within budget as well as being able to use AF with it.

What about the 80-200 f/2.8? But that's about $1000 isn't it?

I have a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 HSM, it's a great lens but probably not enough reach for you. Any Sigma lens with HSM will work with your camera, though, so check those out.

Too bad Nikon doesn't have other versions of thier 70-200 like Canon's 70-200 f/4L for about $500. He could have gotten that and a 1.4x TC and stayed within budget as well as being able to use AF with it.

What about the 80-200 f/2.8? But that's about $1000 isn't it?

Appreciate the input. I did try the Canon XTi, but it just didn't fit my hand at all. Uncomfortable to hold.

You are correct, the 80-200 2.8 is almost double the price of the 70-300. I think I'm going to check the pawn shops and be watching Craigslist. Maybe something will show up.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

After today, I am thinking of selling a kidney to get a 2.8. My daughter had a recital and my son had an indoor soccer game and the pics suck. Both venues were well lit, but the only way I could get a decent shutter speed was to put the ISO at 1600, and still could not completely freeze them.

I may just have to miss the fall soccer season unless I can find a good used one (relatively) cheap.

I have a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 HSM, it's a great lens but probably not enough reach for you. Any Sigma lens with HSM will work with your camera, though, so check those out.

I have the same lens and love it, and double it occasionally with a 2X TC

I bought my 100-300 f4 on ebay for $500 --- used is another way to go

I have the same lens and love it, and double it occasionally with a 2X TC

Do you notice any image degredation with the TC? That lens may work well for the indoor stuff. I really just need the 300mm for the outdoor games.

Most reactions

Back