Telephoto lenses for Canon.. fight!

IS is far more important for landscape photos than an additional stop of speed. Depends on what you're shooting though. The 70-200 f/4L non-IS is a great starter lens for sports photography where IS doesn't really matter.

What? Its the exact opposite. For landscapes you're using a much wider angle, so IS is not needed. For sports, where long lengths are involved, then its needed. Just look at the lenses, virtually all of the wider lenses do not have IS/VR/OS.

It does come with the hood, but not the tripod mount.

Oh, and the 70-200 does come with a hood, and a carrying pouch. If I'm not mistaken all L lenses come with a hood.

I just found that the Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 EX DG Apo Macro HSM II is also not bad.

Here are some sample pictures.

http://www.motleypixel.com/reviews/...enfile=sigma_70-200mm_f2.8_ex_dg_macro_01.jpg

At $800, I'd rather spend an extra $200 and get the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM IS.

My budget is no more than about $550.

O|||||||O said:
It does come with the hood, but not the tripod mount.

How do I know if a tripod mount is necessary or not? And where do I get one for any particular lens?

PS, let me clarify now that I will hardly EVER be shooting sports or action. Most likely still life (where I'm not able to get close for whatever reason) and wildlife. But more often the former than the latter. I just want a telephoto so I'm covered in case I need to do some reaching. I AM going to the zoo next month, so there's that.. :) but I rarely go.

Just for your information:

In July/August issue of American Photo Magazine, it name the Canon EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS together with the Tokina AT-X Pro DS AF 11-16mm F/2.8 as Best buy on page 49.

Of course those are not the American Photo Editor's Choice 2008. But I believe best buy means they are very good for what it cost.

What? Its the exact opposite. For landscapes you're using a much wider angle, so IS is not needed. For sports, where long lengths are involved, then its needed. Just look at the lenses, virtually all of the wider lenses do not have IS/VR/OS.

I always thought IS to be ideal not for sports or wildlife (cause of the fast subjects, you need a fast shutter speed), but for low-light still motion subjects, or for things where you want to achieve motion blur (waterfall, car, etc.) without blurring the rest of the photo. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Remember too, that neither the Sigma nor the Tamron 70-200 have IS. I would personally go with the 55-250. A lens does not make a good photographer, and the photos you posted show that. For the price, I would assume it will give you a few years of good service before you outgrow it. Then again, if you're already really good or shoot things where you feel limited in that respect, you'll only be frustrated with your purchase.

But that's just me. IMO most people get "better" lenses than they really NEED to be good photographers. The equipment is great, but we need to remember its not necessary (otherwise all hope is lost for me :) ).

Here's a link that may be of assistance...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0806/08061602tamron70200review.asp

You're mistaken. Landscape photography tends to be either ultra-wide or ultra-long. It's not just ultra-wide. For those ultra-long photos where you're shooting still scenes, stabilization makes a huge difference. For sports you'll typically need a quick enough shutter speed to freeze the action (1/500s or even quicker) that stabilization is never really going to do much for you, aside from assist with panning shots.

well, to be honest I'm a little surprised that the Sigma 70-200 2.8 hasn't come up. It is known to be extremely sharp, has the hypersonic motor so it focuses very quietly, is built like a tank, and can be had used for just a little more than the f4/L. It doesn't have IS, and in lower light definitely needs to be mounted on a tripod, but it is faster than the 4L and much cheaper than the Canon version.

f2.8 lenses are nice but too darned heavy, IMHO.

Well, if it's the case that IS comes in handy for hand-held shots at long focal lengths of landscapes, still life, etc., then maybe the 55-250 is the way to go?

You're mistaken. Landscape photography tends to be either ultra-wide or ultra-long. It's not just ultra-wide. For those ultra-long photos where you're shooting still scenes, stabilization makes a huge difference. For sports you'll typically need a quick enough shutter speed to freeze the action (1/500s or even quicker) that stabilization is never really going to do much for you, aside from assist with panning shots.

Really? I always thought of landscape shots of being on the wider end of the focal lengths. For sports IS is always handy, those long lengths need it, especially when hand-holding it. They also help with panning. Why is it then that all the teles have IS or VR?

Really? I always thought of landscape shots of being on the wider end of the focal lengths. For sports IS is always handy, those long lengths need it, especially when hand-holding it. They also help with panning. Why is it then that all the teles have IS or VR?

IS / VR is to compensate camera shake. Camera shaking will affect the quality of the photo (motion blur) if shutter speed is not fast enough for a given focal length. And the motion blur effect will increase with longer focal length. Hence IS / VR come into place.

However, for sport action, the motion blur is not the result of camera shake. And therefore IS / VR will have no effect on the blur photo. The only way to Freeze the action is using a faster shutter speed. So may as well turn the IS / VR off.

But as for wide angle view ... I really do not know why IS / VR will matter unless light is not enough at the time if taking the photo.

I wish I could post photos of the birds I shot today and yesterday. I'll see if I can take a quick trip home to pick up my tripod and either my Windows (hiss) laptop (which has PCMCIA) or my XO Cat5 cable.

Most reactions

Back