Tell me why I need fill light ? C&C please

kc4sox

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At least to my eye I have a nice rim / hair light from the sun. Nice detail in the hair and while it's a little flat, the light on the face is flattering in both of these. I keep telling myself I should have used fill flash or a reflector but, I like the look as is.

What says the group ?

Mike

Last edited:
Id say 100% use a fill light in those shots, it needs more light on the face and also to get the catch light. Her eyes and face just look flat as you said.

A fill light would help but the bigger problem is they lack sharp focus.

These are good shots and I see how you could feel that way, I agree with CdtSnap definitely would benefit from a fill flash and although you "could" get away with shots as is or with a decent amount of post work. It's the little things that separate the big boys from the lil boys in this case life in the eyes and some light in the face. Just my 2 cents

Now that's odd because in Lightroom at 1:1 magnification #1 looks plenty sharp to me ?

And is it personal taste or a deal breaker when trying to make saleable images ?

The light on her face is just what's reflecting off the ground. It's very yellow relative to the rest of the scene, it doesn't provide a catch light, and it gives the old "horror film" ground up lighting look that isn't exactly flattering.

The light on her face is just what's reflecting off the ground. It's very yellow relative to the rest of the scene, it doesn't provide a catch light, and it gives the old "horror film" ground up lighting look that isn't exactly flattering.

Pretty much lol

These are good shots and I see how you could feel that way, I agree with CdtSnap definitely would benefit from a fill flash and although you "could" get away with shots as is or with a decent amount of post work. It's the little things that separate the big boys from the lil boys in this case life in the eyes and some light in the face. Just my 2 cents

Thank you for this. My aim is to separate myself and become a "Big Boy" That's why I'm here asking for C&C. If your afraid of critique you'll never advance in this art and, I want desperately to advance.

Well you got a pretty awesome camera, just get a speedlight and get flashing. wouldnt need a whole lot, but it would have made the image sharper lol

There are a number of issues which, IMO, would consign this to the circular file rather than making it a salable image.

-Yes, you have a "natural" rim light, however it's at least a half-stop too hot in the highlights. Had your dropped the exposure down to get this right, her face would have been unacceptably under-exposed.

-Her head is turned too far, pushing her pupils right to the edge; ideally there should be at least a bit of sclera visible on each side of the pupil.

-The lack of catchlight has rendered her eyes rather dark and lifeless.

-Natural reflection has produced a very unpleasant yellow cast on her skin, and especially on her teeth, giving her the impression of someone who smokes three packs a day. Even were that the case, most clients don't want their images to reflect that.

All that was needed here was a white or silver reflector to bring some ambient into her face and having her turn her head and move her eyes slightly to her left.

Well you got a pretty awesome camera, just get a speedlight and get flashing. wouldnt need a whole lot, but it would have made the image sharper lol

I have the 600ex-rt and the Canon radio trigger, stand , umbrella , softbox etc.... I just haven't had the time to get out with it and experiment / learn. I wish I has someone local to mentor me but, alas I live in BFE ! lol

There are a number of issues which, IMO, would consign this to the circular file rather than making it a salable image.

-Yes, you have a "natural" rim light, however it's at least a half-stop too hot in the highlights. Had your dropped the exposure down to get this right, her face would have been unacceptably under-exposed.

-Her head is turned too far, pushing her pupils right to the edge; ideally there should be at least a bit of sclera visible on each side of the pupil.

-The lack of catchlight has rendered her eyes rather dark and lifeless.

-Natural reflection has produced a very unpleasant yellow cast on her skin, and especially on her teeth, giving her the impression of someone who smokes three packs a day. Even were that the case, most clients don't want their images to reflect that.

This process if nothing else is humbling.

All that was needed here was a white or silver reflector to bring some ambient into her face and having her turn her head and move her eyes slightly to her left.

Once again you've stepped up for me. I always value your opinion. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get this right. It's a steep curve on the way to being good enough to sell images.

If nothing else this is a lesson in humility.....

Now that's odd because in Lightroom at 1:1 magnification #1 looks plenty sharp to me ?

And is it personal taste or a deal breaker when trying to make saleable images ?

Well I can't see your Lightroom all I can see are the images posted online. If the originals are sharp then something with the export for the web versions or maybe even the place you are hosing them online added more compression I can't say what it is, all I can say is they look soft.

At least to my eye I have a nice rim / hair light from the sun. Nice detail in the hair and while it's a little flat, the light on the face is flattering in both of these. I keep telling myself I should have used fill flash or a reflector but, I like the look as is.

What says the group ?

Mike

because good
smile.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back