Temperature affects on film quality

Scott WRG Editor

King of Smoothness
Reaction score
Website
www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org
I'm just curious about temperature affects on film. I usually store my film in the fridge for the most part but I concerned with repeated cooling and warming of the film. Also, I attend alot of airshows and the gear gets pretty warm in my car, in my bag and for that matter in my hands. Now I haven't seen any issues with a day spent in a hot car but what about longer? I've been leaving my camera stuff in my trunk and was wondering if a continually warm/hot environment would affect film quality?

Hmmm... I was for 10 days in Florence, the weather had on the average 104 °F... nothing considerable happened to the films (I had them in my bag).
But don't know, I predict it depends on time or something like that.

I guess for long run cooler conditions help to prolong the film's life. On the other hand I think when in use, too cold will cause the film to react slower.... not sure if this is true.

Should new film be kept in a refridgerator until use? I know it's good to keep film cool in storage, but isn't a fridge a little too cold and cause condensation?

NoNo i heard its good.

I was recently in napples, and my camera kept steaming up when i got outside, and the film didnt come out well at all, maybe it was because of the whether!?

It's ok, Just put the film on the lowest level of your fridge. My dad once left film for about a month in car - he forget about it. It was very warm then, and the colors of pictures were awfull. Temperature damaged it a bit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back