Tenba photo insert for messenger bags

Patrice

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
This is sort of a review of the Tenba padded messenger bag insert. Item was purchased online from Vistek but is available almost everywhere. Although low cost I am rather impressed at the quality of the product. It is minimalist in nature but is well conscructed. The padding and stiching is of quality comparable to full fleged camera bags from many producers. If you already have a modest messenger bag this is something to think about if you like top load shoulder bags.

I had an old (15years) unpadded cordura messenger bag/briefcase from FortMcPherson Tent and Canvas company (Fort McPherson, NWT, Canada) that I've repurposed as a camera bag with this Tenba insert. The unexpanded (this bag can be expanded via an outise wrap around zipper allowing an accordion type expansion) outside dimensions of the bag are 15 inches wide, 10 inches high and 4 inches thick. The insert slips in there very nicely with just a bit of wiggle room without having to expand the bag. The bag has a zipper top closure and a full coverage fold over flap secured with a couple of denril buckles - no noisy velcro. Eventhough the insert is well padded, even on the bottom, I did add a layer of closed cell foam on the bottom of the bag and in the document pocket of the lid, this latter to protect the items stored in the various small pockets under the lid from shocks and bumps. The insert itself can be configured in a few sinple ways by using the 4 included velcro tabed dividers. The top of the insert has no lid or padding thus allowing easy acces to the contents but offering no padded protection from the top.

I've just loaded mine up with the following:
Within the insert: D700 mounted with 28-70/2.8 and lens hood in place, 70-200/2.8 with hood reversed, SB800 with diffuser and 5th battery compartment, MB-D10 battery grip, Kenko 1.4 auto teleconverter.
In other bag compartments: spare camera battery, charger and cord, lens tissues, 13 AA's (grip and flash spares), camera radio remote, Manfrotto table top tripod, tripod foot for the flash, white balance filters for the flash, 2 additional CF cards, camera USB cable, small usb card reader, camera and flash user manuals. If I left the flash and grip out I'd have room for a wide angle f/2.8 lens, so camera, flash and two lenses or camera and three lenses.

Once loaded with the above items the bag still maintains a svelt apperarance - no ugly over loadded bulging bag appearance. With the bag carried cross shoulder it has a confortable body conforming carry while offering quick access to camera, tele zoom and flash while still having some small but often necessary other various items close to hand. Bonus is that the bag does not fall over when placed upright on the floor.

Conclusion: if you like top load shoulder bags of modest size and already have a messenger type bag you like or want to repurpose the Tenba insert is worth considering and won't break the bank.

My opinion, your milleage may vary.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back