Tennessee Waterfalls

jriepe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The one thing that bugs me about this first image is the dead sapling but don't know if I could have moved it.

Jerry

Burgess Falls
BurgessFallsBigFallscopy.jpg

Cane Creek Falls
CaneCreekFalls3copy.jpg

I'd love to see that first one with a longer exposure. The water on the rocks would look amazing.

Those are nice, Jerry. I haven't seen Burgess Falls. I've been to the park but never hilked down to the falls. Having seen your shots I may have to do that ;)

groan, the reason I didn't get a long exposure on the first one is because I was getting sprayed and I don't feel comfortable getting my camera and lens wet so I handheld that one. Scott, my brother told me that Burgess falls was not more than a cascade so I wasn't expecting much. But there are three falls there and this one is the big falls. It is definitely more than a cascade and I was surprised and impressed. This morning I cloned out the dead sapling but I kept the original also. Cane Creek Falls is at Fall Creek Falls SP.

Jerry

Jerry, nice 2 picture set. The answer to your 1st question is that you don't move the dead sapling, you work to incorporate into your composition. Both pictures could use a small crop. Pic 1 just a little off the right side, and pic 2 about an inch off the top. Both crops will just make your pictures pop even more. Still nicely done. And I agree with your concerns about getting your equipment wet.

Jerry, looks like you enjoyed your time here; nice waterfalls! I was at Cane Creek Falls this past summer, beautiful place but it was kind of crowded the day we were there.

Your second photo looks more like Cane Creek Cascades than the actual Falls, though. Was this the one where the swinging bridge goes across? (Side note: I went across that swinging bridge this summer, on my 50th bday, just to prove I could. I am terrified of swinging bridges...I made it across, and back, but it may be ANOTHER 50 years before I try again!) Further along that same trail is Cane Creek Falls, which is a higher falls, but not nearly as much volume of water going over it. Then of course, there's the MAIN falls in the park, Fall Creek Falls. Did you take any photos of it? There was one guy while we were there who hiked down to the bottom of the overlook; I thought about it, but I was pretty sure my knees wouldn't take the incline very well, besides there were too many people in the water to make it worthwhile.

At any rate, looks like you got some good photos from your trip, and got to explore a bit! Let me know when you're going to be here again.

Sharon,

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that this is Cane Creek Falls and as I went across the bridge and up the trail I came to an overlook to view Fall Creek Falls. Below is Fall Creek Falls which was taken at a bad time of day partly ruined by the sun. Maybe I missed something while I was there and have Cane Creek Cascades confused with Cane Creek Falls.

Jerry

Fall Creek Falls
FallCreekFallscopy.jpg

Well, that last one you posted is definitely Fall Creek Falls! Tough to get a really good picture of it!
I don't have any of the pictures I took with me here at work, and while I have a few of them on Facebook, I don't have one of Cane Creek Falls on there (plus, they were all taken before I had my D5100, and mostly concentrated on the bridge, and my sister).

But the more I look at your second photo, the more certain I am it's Cane Creek Cascades. So, I googled it. ;)
The Cascades are a 45-ft. drop, while the Cane Creek Falls, which is just a bit downriver from the cascades, is an 85-ft. drop, which also has another fall called Rockhouse falls right next to it (125 ft falls, but usually barely more than a trickle for volume).

Here's a link to a photo of Cane Creek falls: Cane Creek Falls

And here's another one, that shows several of the falls (although it's not a good photo of the Cascades to compare to yours): Falls Creek Falls State Park, Tennessee

It all hardly matters, I know...the REAL point is, they are nice photos and I'm glad you got a chance to visit that area...especially since you seem to have gotten to see it before it gets warm enough for the hordes to arrive! On the trail to one of the falls, we were behind a rather large gentleman who chained smoked the whole way down the trail...so much for getting back to nature! :lol:

Wow Sharon you are so right. I got a picture of the Cane Creek Cascades but not the falls. I didn't see the trail that led to the falls. Guess I should have done some more reading before I took off. Thanks for the links. I hate that I missed the falls. You are right about me hitting it at a good time. No crowds anyplace that I visited. My favorite time to vacation though is in September when all the kids are back in school and the parents are back to work. The weather is still warm and the crowds are gone except for the old fogies where I fit right in.;) Guess I could fly to Nashville and rent a car to get the picture. Nah, that's too much expense for a a waterfall picture. While I was away my daughter had a party where some shady characters showed up and walked away with about $1,800 worth of photo equipment among other items. Glad I had the most important stuff with me.

Joel, thanks for your comments and recommendations. I'll give them a try to see how it looks.

Jerry

The Burgess Falls photo you made has a wonderful shutter speed--PERFECT, for my taste-- not too slow, not too fast, but absolutely wonderful for showing the water in motion and not exaggerating the volume of water.

Thanks Derrel. I used to not like the milky looking water that a very slow shutter speed creates but it seemed I was in the minority so I started slowing my shutter speed down I guess to please others. Now it has kinda grown on me but like you I also like it when the water has a more realistic look. Here's one of Cane Creek Cascades with a faster shutter speed.

Jerry

CaneCreekFalls2copy.jpg

Most reactions

Back