Tennis

SkyFox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.betherecreative.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a videographer who is struggling my way around with stills. This is my first crack at Tennis. It was fun!

9U9A2748.jpg

image (1).jpg

image.jpg

You got some good action shots, well taken.

Try pulling back a bit.
Some shots look better a bit wider, where you can see their body and stance, as that sometimes add energy to the pix.
You just have to try different things to see what works.

I quite liked #2. The contrast between the sharp look of concentration on the players face, and the blurred components of the frame (hair, ball, and racket) give a great sense of intense concentration in motion.

I'm sure the shooting conditions were tough (bright overhead sunlight and players in visors/hats). The photos feel overexposed and washed out. Sports shooting (where you have limited control of shooting angles in relation to the light source) in those sorts of conditions is tricky. I'm not sure I have specific recommendations but it seems like there's room for improvement in your camera settings. Shorter exposure time immediately jumps to mind.

I quite liked #2. The contrast between the sharp look of concentration on the players face, and the blurred components of the frame (hair, ball, and racket) give a great sense of intense concentration in motion.

I'm sure the shooting conditions were tough (bright overhead sunlight and players in visors/hats). The photos feel overexposed and washed out. Sports shooting (where you have limited control of shooting angles in relation to the light source) in those sorts of conditions is tricky. I'm not sure I have specific recommendations but it seems like there's room for improvement in your camera settings. Shorter exposure time immediately jumps to mind.

#1 Is a tough shot. I've been in that situation also, with hard side light.
If you expose for the sunny side, the face can go DARK. The light range is too great.
The only thing that I can think of is to shoot in RAW, expose more for the highlight and try to pull out the details in the shadow. But still there is no guarantee.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I do commercial videography and lighting is usually well under my control. Too dark? Add a light. Too bright? Take one away. :biglaugh:

That part of sports is going to take some real practice.

I do have some wider shots. I just cherry picked a few and didn't notice they were all pretty tight. Here are a few of the wider ones.

9U9A1297.JPG

9U9A1595.jpg

9U9A3022.jpg

You can see the energy in her body getting ready to hit the ball.

But I do like the facial expressions in the close ups.

Most reactions

Back