Tent City Homeless Community

MLeeK said:
I think that is a vital part of the story here and explaining it along with how people can help is critical to the whole article. There is a HUGE story in WHY they aren't receptive to outsiders and the first thing that people want to do upon reading about something like this is help. With these people going there to help isn't the answer, but are there funds set up for donations thru the churches or even the managers of Tent City?
When my son was in a Children's Hospital for a week at a time (twice) the local restaurants would donate the left overs after banquets... there is SO much like that which could be done, but you don't tell the story here.

That's a good idea. I'm really not sure how to go about it though... Photographing a story about how people who don't like to be photographed...

How would you go about it?

I do understand why they wouldn't want their picture taken. I probably wouldn't want my picture taken either. It's just frustrating in a very selfish way.

It's kind of like how do these photojournalists go overseas and photograph war and poverty etc so authentically, but I can't do the same in my own backyard. :\

I know it sounds selfish but it is what it is.

MLeeK said:
I think that is a vital part of the story here and explaining it along with how people can help is critical to the whole article. There is a HUGE story in WHY they aren't receptive to outsiders and the first thing that people want to do upon reading about something like this is help. With these people going there to help isn't the answer, but are there funds set up for donations thru the churches or even the managers of Tent City?
When my son was in a Children's Hospital for a week at a time (twice) the local restaurants would donate the left overs after banquets... there is SO much like that which could be done, but you don't tell the story here.

That's a good idea. I'm really not sure how to go about it though... Photographing a story about how people who don't like to be photographed...

The back of the head shot and the flag shot are great illustrations for talking about how they don't like to be photographed. Photograph the details while telling the story of the people who live there and why they aren't in the images, what you learned and felt while you were there too!

MLeeK said:
Nice job! I looked at your essay on the website too. Nice! I am a bit interested in how the tents are acquired. Are they military surplus and are they donated or is there a fund for them or...? And what is needed in Tent City that your fellow students or other residents can provide? Funds? Help? Time? Construction?

Ah, yeah. I was thinking about putting that info I there but I didn't want to seem too long winded.

Most are donated by churches and non profit org in the area, but they are army surplus.

A lot of students come out to bring food and students of the business college did help to put up the solar panels and lighting system.

The residents aren't really receptive to outsiders, unfortunately, so it's hard to really help them that much be because they don't really wanted help much of the time.

I truly felt like a foreigner.

Side note: In IL, the Health Department no longer allows restaurants and banquets to donate all the leftover food. So it all gets dumped out and goes to waste. It is such a shame how many people it used to feed especially in some of the Downtown Chicago areas that used to take it in all the time.

Ah, yeah. I was thinking about putting that info I there but I didn't want to seem too long winded.

Most are donated by churches and non profit org in the area, but they are army surplus.

A lot of students come out to bring food and students of the business college did help to put up the solar panels and lighting system.

The residents aren't really receptive to outsiders, unfortunately, so it's hard to really help them that much be because they don't really wanted help much of the time.

I truly felt like a foreigner.

Side note: In IL, the Health Department no longer allows restaurants and banquets to donate all the leftover food. So it all gets dumped out and goes to waste. It is such a shame how many people it used to feed especially in some of the Downtown Chicago areas that used to take it in all the time.

That SUCKS. WOW. Do you know why that is, Kathy?

Spend more time there, get to know some of the homeless talk to them a while, it will not happen first day but after a while you will gain some credibility and trust with a select few, then you will be able to get them to open up and talk about their life and even get some pictures. Just leave your wallet and your trust at home or in the car....

MLeeK said:

I do understand why they wouldn't want their picture taken. I probably wouldn't want my picture taken either. It's just frustrating in a very selfish way.

It's kind of like how do these photojournalists go overseas and photograph war and poverty etc so authentically, but I can't do the same in my own backyard. :\

I know it sounds selfish but it is what it is.

sorry about my bad spelling.

Alot of places are like this now. When I was homeless McDonalds would bag the unsold burgers separate from the trash and set it next to the dumpster for the street people, but the health department made them stop and now it goes to the trash. It is considered unsanitary. Alot of convenience stores in Austin Texas take the sandwiches that are almost out dated and donate to a place called the Jesus House and they are given to the homeless. As far as what she was talking about is based on the fact that is LEFT OVERS and not fixed just for the homeless. In the eyes of the health dep, there is a great difference. As long as the places bag it separate from the trash the homeless will get it.

It was a food safety issue and a general liability to whomever was donating. IL has had some pretty big food related outbreaks within the last few years, so I would imagine this was one measure they thought of to eliminate a possible culprit. When you think about it though, sometimes this food sits out for long periods of time and then who knows how long it continues to sit out.

It was a food safety issue and a general liability to whomever was donating. IL has had some pretty big food related outbreaks within the last few years, so I would imagine this was one measure they thought of to eliminate a possible culprit. When you think about it though, sometimes this food sits out for long periods of time and then who knows how long it continues to sit out.

Seems like common sense stuff. Our country is amazing like that. We can't feed people because there is a chance of lawsuits so we throw away good food. People don't have the common sense to deal with general food safety so the gov't has to step in and take all chance of us having any common sense away. Vicious circle. Totally ridiculous. <end annoyed semi-rant! LOL!>

Most reactions

New Topics

Back