Test images from the T2i...hummmm

Garmonbozia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just picked up the T2i and it is my first attempt into DSLR photography.

Some test images. I'm not super impressed at the outset but, I'll be honest, that's probably because I am having to learn how to use this thing. The auto-focus is a bit tricky and for some strange reason on Auto mode the flash kept popping up when it was not needed (full daylight). Getting in close to focus was as tricky with the kit lense. So, I see what others were saying now about needing a whack of lenses to get the job done. I don't know if the color is truly represented in the shots of the berries but, agian, might be my settings and not getting proper focus.

Thoughts?

Flickr: photo_list's Photostream

You'll get more comments if you actually put the pictures in the post.

Without seeing the berries for ourselves, I don't know that any of us can tell you whether or not the colors are representative of the berries either, haha.

In Auto, the flash is going to pop up most of the time... If you want to avoid that, either turn it off or learn to use the other modes.

The kit lens can get up fairly close to things, but it's not going to give you any real macro capabilities if that's what you mean by "close" and that's the limitation of the lens, not the camera. You also need to make sure that if you're AFing on something up close that there's enough contrast for the AF to *work*.

It sounds like to me that all these issues you're having is a result of needing to spend more time with your camera and the manual :sillysmi:

Thanks. I thought of the whole berry thing once I posted. Maybe I can mail you one. :p

I think a lot of it has to do with learning more but I think my initial instinct was figuring out focus...how to get all in strong focus instead of what is in the centre. I believe there are better camera settings then I am using. I generally use P mode once I get more comfortable.

once you understand the metering on the camera, youll understand why the camera thinks it needs flash. Read the manual.

Congrats on the nice camera.

Using P mode is a good way to work for you right now. Eventually you'll want to learn to use that Tv or Av mode.

Find the option on your camera to set the white Balance (WB) -- I'm guessing you had it set to Auto. You'll get better color results from the camera if you can set it to match the situation.

What do you have available in the way of software to edit your photos?

You asked about the color of the berries -- they were in direct sun and the camera did pretty good. The river shots were trickier for the camera and it didn't do so well; nothing you did wrong: Eventually you may want to read up on shooting RAW files. Then again you may decide you're happy as is.

Here's one of your berries photos with a very minor correction for the color. Notice the difference in the sky color. There's also a very slight contrast difference:

berries.jpg

Here's one of your river photos with much more substantial adjustments. The color was pretty far off and the contrast was compressed:

frozen.jpg

Now tell me where that river location is -- looks familiar.

Take Care,
Joe

Thanks for the replies, folks. I guess I need to play around with the camera some more and perhaps pick up the book April mentioned. Hey, April, I have the same two lenses and nice quote from the great band Rush. :)

Joe, it's the Ottawa River.

Joe, it's the Ottawa River.

Oh yeah, one of my favorites. It was many years ago along the Ottawa that I was first introduced to biting black flies; one of N. America's most beautiful rivers.

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks for the replies, folks. I guess I need to play around with the camera some more and perhaps pick up the book April mentioned. Hey, April, I have the same two lenses and nice quote from the great band Rush. :).

Ah you know Rush is "the' band!
Enjoy you camera and lenses!

Thanks for the replies, folks. I guess I need to play around with the camera some more and perhaps pick up the book April mentioned. Hey, April, I have the same two lenses and nice quote from the great band Rush. :).

I've seen them live twice. I think I could watch Neil Pert go nuts on the drums for hours on end.

Invisable airwaves crackle with light...

I've seen them live twice. I think I could watch Neil Pert go nuts on the drums for hours on end.

Invisable airwaves crackle with light...

Yes he is the best! I've seen them 4 times myself. Never gets old :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back