Test shot- yay or nay?

Replic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took this shot while testing my Fuji Finepix S7000. It was given to my family as a gift for a favor we performed for a friend, and I've had a ton of fun with the camera. I took this shot once at a different angle, but it caught my eye somehow. Since the lamp is in my house, I closed all the doors, shutters, turned off all the lights, etc, and took the photo again but with more control on the shot. This is a slightly GIMPed version (I just touched it up a bit). I like it, but some don't. I was wondering what you guys think. Thanks.

uploadtemp.JPG

ACK!

So much for that service. I'm up to sign up for one of the first ones you guys recommend. Sorry! I'll get it up in a second.

How embarressing for a first non-introductory post.

Ah... there it is now. I really like it. I love the negative space all around the lamp, and then the light being cast downwards. It's cool that no part of the lamp or the light takes up a whole side of the photo; it is like it is all confined to the bottom of the picture. The shape that the combination of the lamp shade and the cast light is also nice, how the curvature changes direction when it changes from lamp shade to cast light. And I also really like the gradiation in the lamp from the bright top to the dark bottom. It is nice and smooth.

The one thing I'm not sure I'm so crazy for is the color. The shade of yellow just doesn't strike me that well. Although I have a tendency to say (or at least think) this for a lot of images, I think it might be better in black and white. Although... hmmm... there is still something I like in the yellowness, and it seems for some reason that half of me says the color is ugly and half of me says it makes it look more artistic (I think :? ). Maybe it's that there are 3 main colors in there: white (closest to the lightbulb), yellow (other light), and black (no light). Maybe what I feel is that I would like it better if it were just 2 colors, like just yellow and black. But I'm not sure. So I guess it is up to other people to give their opinion. lol.

I might also like to see a crisper and clearer version, since as I look at it more and more, I notice that the .jpg image looks pretty highly compressed. But that's easily fixable :)

Yea, the site I posted it on forced me to compress that thing to all hell. If you want the origianl B&W version and/or the full resolution version, AIM me on HlfShell or e-mail me at kchester @ gmail dot com . (Done that way to prevent spam botting).

I'll be more than happy to provide.

I really like it.. Its simple. Its a shame about the compression, I think it would be a much better shot without.

BTW, I have the same camera :)

Isn't the camera great? If only they made it an SLR and I'd be perfectly happy with the darned thing. Any tips to send this way to another fuji film camera or any complaints to share on it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back