Out of interest please please say this is the APO version of the simga 70-300
Nope, not the APO version.
Is APO a Sigma thing for IS (Canon) or VR (Nikkor)?
"APO zoom lenses minimize color aberration." ~Sigma
The only thing left is to get rid of now is the dust spots.
Oh wow, I see that... I hope that's on the lens, not the sensor.
and please share how you got these shots
These were all taken on my Nikon D50 shooting RAW.
All on a tripod.
All ISO 400.
All on the self-timer because pressing the shutter made the picture too jittery at 100%. That was annoying because of the 2-second delay -- I missed a cool ladybug shot because of that. Note to self: buy an IR remote.
PP: Some were sharpened on Photoshop only once, but it doesn't make a difference unless viewing it "Large" on flickr.
1:
Exposure: 1/100
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 200mm (macro)
This is an orchid (I think) in front of my neighbor's driveway. I had to set up my tripod on a hill, so I was almost falling over.
2:
Exposure: 1/60
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 300mm (macro)
This one's from a flower shop nearby. I took a few shots where the ant is more visible on the"little brother", but I prefer the bokeh on this one. Like you said, I really like the super-soft bokeh on this lens, so I found a streak of purple for the background and turned the flower pot accordingly.
3:
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Exposure Program: Manual
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 200mm (macro)
Not a fan of this shot, but I put it up anyways to see if anyone knows what the thingies are. Like I said, I wanted to put the halo of bokeh behind the leaf, but there was a trunk in the way. Used the flash on this to get a darker background and some more contrast.
4:
Exposure: 1/30
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 120mm
Also not too fond of this shot, but I put it up anyways. For this, I cranked my tripod up as far as it would go, took a picture, cranked it back down, saw the result, adjusted the settings accordingly, and repeated until I got something with decent composition and focus.