Testing out the Nikon VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

PhilosophyAskew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just recieved this new lens and finally we had a sunny day. This lens requires a good deal of light to work well, but I knew this already before purchasing it. So far the VR has worked really well. I've taken a few at 1/15 shutter speed with no blur. They VR kinda hums a bit and it takes some getting used to; this is my first VR so that may be the problem. The zoom isn't as powerful as I thought it would be which is a bummer. I might try some extension tubes for extra reach. I use it on a D80 so with the crop factor it's comparable to a 450mm. Luckily the 10.2 mps on the D80 allows for some cropping because most bird pics need a good bit to really see detail. All in all I think it's worth the $570 or so that I paid for it, if only for the VR. Just don't expect to use it indoors without a flash.

These were all taken handheld.

01386.jpg

01378.jpg

01377.jpg

01358.jpg

01211.jpg

01195.jpg

Wow, great pix. I rly like the 2'd and the last ones.

What's the fat one? a beaver? nice capture.

It's a nutria rat; it's one of the world's largest rodents.

I was using manual for most because for some reason the AF wasn't focusing properly on the subject. The focus ring is very sensitive so it's going to take some getting used to. When it's in focus though I'm very impressed with the sharpness of the lens.

These are good shots. 5 and 6 are my favorite. the last one is nice becuase you can see the detail in whatever that thing's fur. The 70-300's really aren't bad. They're just slow and the new VR one helps that as far as camera shake is concerned, but it's hard to go wrong with any of the the Nikkor 70-300's if you want a compact and lightweight telephoto.

Number 2 and 6 are sharp as!! love it and i'm getting the exact same lense and a D80 so it's great to see some shots with what i'm getting, now i'm excited .

Most reactions

Back