Thailand Camboida B&W's

DrewPR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some shots from a recent excursion to Thailand and Cambodia. Shooting a Canon 6D. Critique and comments welcome! For more from this trip check out the Flickr album.

$8924495021_e8b2370155_o.jpg$8925402038_6044cf48b5_o.jpg$8967734206_b77322ac84_o.jpg$8967737448_7d9abf19c5_o.jpg

Poorly exposed, out of focus snapshots of an exotic locale.

Keyseddie, I appreciate the honesty. Could I possibly bother you for a few pointers on how I could do better next time around? I can understand "poorly exposed" but as far as focus goes I'm not sure I follow. A wider DOF maybe? Different focal point? I'd hate to keep traveling and having nothing but unimpressive snapshots to show for it!

why did you convert them in BW? you need to know why you want something in bw

On the rice bags and the vegetables shots I just liked the shapes rather than the color profiles. The market I was in was pretty poorly lit and most of the colors were coming out pretty dull anyways. I suppose I thought the B&W took out the distraction of the colors.

The other two I honestly can't say much beyond that they just seemed to look better to me in B&W. Didn't shoot any of them with B&W in mind but rather it came as a post processing decision.

I'll look around and see if I can dig up the original full color files for comparison.

8967737448_7d9abf19c5_o.jpg best of the four but they all lack context and the tonality of the shadows is muddy and very dark. You need to retouch them, or do it differently. Of the 80 pictures in your flickr, there were three I thought were better than these. The overhead of the boats/boathouses is the best image. I'm viewing them as travel documentary and looking for a story. There's cherry picked details which is a nice aide-memoire for you, but no story or context to these sights for me.

Of all the areas in the world, SEA has the greatest saturated color and much of the feel of the country comes from this peculiarly tropic color.
On Flickr, that temple in Cambodia in the middle of the jungle could be really impactful but the B&W just sucks all the life out of it.

I get the feeling from these that you are not really clear about what's important or not in your picture when your press the button.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back