Thank you TPF, you are officially my guardian angel

Yahoozy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so today my computer died on me, quite literally died, to the point where we need a new one (by the way im on a laptop at the moment)
so, long story short, every scrap of photographic information, and any information of any kind for that matter, that was on that computer is now gone, lost forever in the sea of cyberspace

that is, except for what i've already posted on TPF, which is some of my best work, if i do say so myself =P

so, long story short, 6 year old computers suck, and TPF is my guardian angel =D

Oh. Oops.
No good.
Now let me think... how old is my computer now?
Younger than six ... phew!

Ugh. That sucks...

So I'm guessing your hard drive crashed? I had that happen to an external drive, lost a lot of photos too. I still plan on trying to retrieve them. I know there is still data on there because I was able to see some of it with data recovery software. I was only pulling up thumbnail-sized photos. I haven't had a chance to get back to it but I need to learn the software to see if I can retrieve as much data as possible and see if I can get the full-size images. You should look around on the web, if your data was really important to you, it might be worth it to try some recovery software.

Good luck.

hahah well granted it was 6 years old in a house with 2 growing boys

things happen

sad to hear!

But if only the controller of that harddrive died, in principle the data could be restored.

Funny enough, some of my firework images got lost some while ago on a laptop which died just before I was about to backup. Those images were only posted on here ;)

Six in human years is 42 in dog years and about 2,418 in computer years... I am glad your best work has been recovered, perhaps in the future you will back it up to a CD or DVD once a month or so? (PLEASE?)

So I guess the first thig we will be getting in a new system wil be a CD/DVD burner right??.

Aside from learning to back-up I have had computers die on me and the data on the harddisk is often retrivable - so don't dicount it take it to a store and see what they can get off it
(most of the time connecting the harddrive to another computer as a slave drive is all that is needed

If you were shooting film the computer crash wouldn't matter! Film last almost forever.
Besides that film fades an has wacky color changes have you ever seen decent print or neg from 20 let alone even 10 years ago.

Besides that film fades an has wacky color changes have you ever seen decent print or neg from 20 let alone even 10 years ago.
Storage is everything. Film or digital. Personally, I've made perfect enlargements from 60 year old negatives that I've come across stored in nothing more than the paper back of the original proofbook. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back