That's a gang sign? Really?

What do you think the best format to shoot in is?

If you are starting out RAW. If you just want to get out and shoot. Shoot JPEG Fine, while playing with RAW files and editing them. Soon your RAW workflow will be as quick as your JPEG workflow. I shoot RAW and really the only thing I have to do is maybe adjust some exposure compensation, and I'm ready to do any further work (if needed) in Photoshop.

How about this reason-not wanting two of every shot I take-the RAW to play with and the JPEG, which I can upload.. RAW is ridiculous, as nothing recognizes it...

I was actually referring to using JPEG-Fine on your D50. However, Nikon RAW files - ESPECIALLY Nikon D50 RAW files - are recognized by pretty much every image editing program; even Picassa.

Now if you just don't want to do ANY post processing (and unless you absolutely nailed that shot - then some PP, even a little exposure adjustment) is going to be required.

As I said, once you get the RAW workflow down - it becomes just as fast as messing with a JPEG.

I have 2 gig SD card.. 3.7 thousand pictures in JPEG.. 250 in RAW..... I'd rather shoot them right the first time than have them require PP.
Wait. Are you shooting JPEG MEDIUM Fine, or JPEG LARGE Normal? Because shooting in MEDIUM Size, results in a loss of resolution (pixel cutting), versus a more aggressive compression algorithin (Fine versus Normal).

Well this is what I got.

08_14_2008_0532.jpg

even the pros (both digital and film) process a lot of their photos. a perfectly nailed shot (where you can honestly say its PERFECT) is kinda rare, for both sides of the spectrum. Most photos could do w/ some adjustments. I'm not telling anyone what to do, but my philosophy is that I rather go through the inconveniences of RAW for that guaranteed wiggle room. When I first started I shot JPEG, just because I didnt know RAW and JPEG from a hole in the wall, but now I look back on some photos I took and there are a handful that I'm sad about because they would be AWESOME shots if I could just change a few things about them.

Another reason to shoot raw vs jpeg is that jpeg's can lose quality if opened and edited multiple times. I dont believe that RAW has that as a draw back.

Wait. Are you shooting JPEG MEDIUM Fine, or JPEG LARGE Normal? Because shooting in MEDIUM Size, results in a loss of resolution (pixel cutting), versus a more aggressive compression algorithin (Fine versus Normal).

That's a good point.. I'll switch to fine. You know, I'm actually coming around with this PP stuff because yesterday I took what I thought was a good shot and I used Sharpen in Picasa and what a difference! Took it from good to WOW! Maybe my hard-headedness has been holding me back..

The black background on the B&W seems to cover the bottom shoe. I think I like the color version better.

I'm like you STSINNER, I thought the shoes were just an interesting shot. Do you think one shoe means the same as two shoes? Guess I won't shoot at that location alone again.

shoesintree.jpg

This would be a great photo theme! I almost walked down the street to shoot the local pair,.. but I'm trying to get to work. Maybe latter...

-Shea

Most reactions

New Topics

Back