KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It looks like this the the entirety of Canon's current EF-S lens lineup?

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Not that surprising really...

To me, EF-S lenses are like the red-headed step-child on the lens line-up.

They have a rather small market (which is probably growing though), so I understand Canon's reluctance in devoting too many resources to them.

Kmh, are you a good surprised or a bad surprised?

Considering that crop cameras can use both the EF-S and EF linesups, you arent missing much in there.

the 10-22 and 17-55 are really good lenses, so all they really need is a good telephoto lens in the EF-S. But then, if I am in Canon's shoes, why make a non L telephoto when you have the 70-200 f4, f2.8, f4 IS and f2.8 IS.

Considering that crop cameras can use both the EF-S and EF linesups, you arent missing much in there.

so all they really need is a good telephoto lens in the EF-S. .

EF-S is a gap filler required to satisfy the short focal lengths required to obtain equivalent FOVs of wide angle lenses on full frame. To do so with EF lenses would be expensive so EF-S also serves as a lower cost alternative as well.

There is no need for good telephoto lenses in EF-S format. For anyone seeking a FOV in telephoto focal lengths can already obtain those in pre-existing EF lens designs.

Notice that most of the EF-S lineup are 1) zooms (consumers love them) 2) start at between 10mm to 18mm on the wide end of the focal range. This gives you an equivalent FOV of existing EF wide angle zooms that have been around for full frame 35mm for years.

Simply put... EF-S is a stop gap since cropped cameras from Canon can use EF or EF-S lenses. So they are not limiting... in choices. Oh yes.. please note that the cheapest lowest line Canon DSLR is 100% compatible with any EF or EF-S lens across the entire Canon lens line. (Compared to the Nikon D40).

interesting this is started from a Nikon shooter... isn't it? Nikon mavens are plenty...

Last edited:
Kmh, are you a good surprised or a bad surprised?

the 10-22 and 17-55 are really good lenses, so all they really need is a good telephoto lens in the EF-S. But then, if I am in Canon's shoes, why make a non L telephoto when you have the 70-200 f4, f2.8, f4 IS and f2.8 IS.
I guess good surprised. I knew the EF-S line can only be used on some Canon camera's because of interference with the mirror.

Most reactions

Back