THE 2006 Fireworks Thread - haha

Here is my master plan for fireworks photography tomorrow. Listed in steps.

Turn on camera, while on tripod.
Switch to Scene mode.
Select "Fireworks mode."

Thats my noob way, and I will definitley take some manual shots too, which will be wingin' it!

I doubt that helped, but maybe provided comic relief?

Ok... my two cents...

• Put something else in the frame as a reference rather than just fireworks.
  • I see everyone post that a tri-pod is a must but I don't think a little blur will ruin the pics if you hand hold.
  • Use a slow shutter speed and try to get the initial rising trail in the exposure as well.
  • In post-processing... duplicate the original layer, blur, lighten and blend to Overlay (if anyone needs more detail on this I'll add it in... bit of a rush now).
If I had the time and resources I think I would look for a glass high-rise building and shoot the building as the fireworks reflect off of it. I'm not near buildings like that but if anyone can use that idea (assuming it's a good one) by all means.

Here's my fireworks shot...

Fireworks.jpg

Another possibly helpful link > click

I have several fireworks shots that I do believe came out quite well (especially seeing as at this point, I did not understand too much about exposure). From what I remember, these were shot with TV ranging anywhere from 1/4s to 1/15s, generally with an aperture around 4.0. Since I didn't bring a tripod, I ended up laying down with my head propped up with a bag and just shot to my hearts content. Sorry that I can't be of much help.

38409090_cbee24fb40.jpg

38409145_d850a60e72.jpg

38409164_f0e86dde0b.jpg

Those came out awesome Peanuts. I took my try at some fireworks tonight and I'm pretty p'd off now. All bad, blurry shots. Plus I'm itching like crazy thanks to the mosquitoes.

Here is my contribution to the fireworks and my first photo to the forums.

First attempt at fireworks and I'm pretty happy with it other than all the smoke. It is actually my current wallpaper hense the extra black around the photo.

4th_1280x1024.jpg

Regards,
Peter Witham

Mine didn't come out as good as I had hoped. It was raining and I had to set my
tripod in the back of the truck with an umbrella over it. Not the most stable
place to put a tripod for photos. :)

Resize_of_DSC_2922.JPG

This was the best shot from my first and only attempt at shooting fireworks
Fireworks-01.jpg

8.0 sec
f/5.6
ISO 100
Manual mode

Shot in RAW with camera's noise reduction turned ON. Edited in Photoshop.

Fantastic picture Big Mike. I love the way you managed to keep the sunset in the exposure, it really helps to frame the photo.

Regards,
Peter Witham

Most reactions

Back