What's new

The 2nd Largest Air Show in the World - Sun n' Fun Fly-In

Fantastic I love them all!
 
Oooooohhhhh, I just love airplanes! My favorite is number one......but then again I am a P-51 Mustang fan, so I may be biased :wink:

Brian.
 
its great how no one can decide an out and out winner here... proves that they are all great shots

has to #4 for me... excellent
 
Thanks again, everyone! It makes me feel good that people like what they see.

RedDevilUK, I see what you mean. No "one" picture is getting any better rating than the other. :)

And just because you are all so pleased with those shots, here's a few more, just for fun!

The thing I like best about these shots are the perspective. They all look like I was in the air with them!

1.
P4170834.jpg


2.
P4170741.jpg


3.
P4171104.jpg


4.
P4171127.jpg


5.
P4171081.jpg


6.
P4171157.jpg
 
Hey these are nice!!.
I am going to an air show this weekend and was wondering what lens to bring?With your shooting whould you recommend a 80-200mm or a 135-400mm? I can only take one as they dont allow large camera bags.
 
Hey these are nice!!.
I am going to an air show this weekend and was wondering what lens to bring?With your shooting whould you recommend a 80-200mm or a 135-400mm? I can only take one as they dont allow large camera bags.

Hi there, and thanks!

As for the lens, I used a Sigma 18-125mm, which on the Olympus 4/3 system, that equals to a 36-250mm lens.

With most air shows, I imagine that the planes fly rather low like they do here. In that case, I would think the 80-200mm lens of yours would work out better, as you can get a little wider to take in more than just one plane. I would ONLY use the 135-400mm lens if I wanted to be in the cockpit with the pilot or if I was a good distance from the action.

Now keep in mind, where I was located, and as you can see from a lot of the pictures, I was pretty much directly underneith the planes as they dove to the ground. That's how I was able to get those head-on shots. Most of the time, I was aiming straight up into the sky. The same thing when they make those hard turns... Those turns made it look like I was flying right along side them in the sky!

So if it were me, I would go with at least the 80-200. Even then, with the 1.5x crop factor of your Sony Alpha A100, that lens is more like a 120-300. I honestly don't think I would have gotten as many good shots as I did with that big of a lens, and certainly wouldn't have been able to get a lot of the formation shots. Again, it does depend on how far you are away from the action though.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom