The appeal of the M9?

If one is not familiar with rangefinder cameras, Stephen Gandy's "Camera Quest" web site is a great location to get some background, and get a "feel for" why rangefinder-type cameras are still being made. CameraQuest Home Page

This one single Camera Quest page filled with links to excellent, well-written,articles about various rangefinder cameras is a must-see for those who want to LEARN MORE Classic Camera Profiles

I'm only starting to dive into rangefinders, having used an Olympus 35 SP for a good month. I'm not using it because it's convenient, easier or better. I'm using it because I really, really enjoy the process of actually capturing a moment on a whole other level than I do with my digital camera. I absolutely love this camera. It has everything I truly need:

- I can set the shutter speed
- I can set the aperture
- I choose ISO depending on the film I load it with
- I have a self timer
- hot shoe for flash
- even a spot meter (which even Leica rangefinder cameras couldn't boast of at the time)

That's all one truly need. A sharp lens, fairly decent range of shutter speeds (1 - 1/500), though a little limiting on bright days, as well.
To me, choosing a digital rangefinder doesn't make much sense. With analog, I get the photo chemical process of making an image on the film medium. I can develop them myself, and truly say that I've done my best to make the final image myself. Going with a digital alternative would lose all meaning, for me. That's why I fully understand the analog Ms, but not quite the digital ones. They may make sense to others, and I sort of can appreciate the technology implemented in a classic design body with outstanding lens possibilities. And if one disregards the meter, the entire camera is mechanical. That simply means that everything that happens in the camera relies on springs, cogwheels, sprockets, arms and other purely mechanical elements. I can hear springs being tightened. The camera is alive, and does not rely on batteries to capture photos. That's one of the things I truly love about this camera - and many other rangefinders are mechanical as well. And like the theory behind its focusing system. It's called a rangefinder for a reason: it basically calculates distance to your subject by means of triangulation. Simple trigonometry that you probably learned in high school.

/rant

How many here who don't like the M9 have e Ed used a real range-finder (Which the Fuji is NOT!)? They are an entirely different beast from an SLR. If you never shot with a range-finder trying to explain it is almost impossible. Try a real range-finder, compare that to the M9, and then you will be qualified to comment. I'm not a Leicaphile, but I appreciate them.

This is what i use, great fun and get some great shots

IMG5663upload-L.jpg

The m9 is just a prelude to a m10, 11, 12, 13, 14. I bet leica's prices will come down when other 35mm, small bodied cameras start coming to the market from all the other manufactures in the future.
That is if Leica Camera survives that long. Their prices did not come down with the advent of the other rangefinders...it won't be coming down now.

My hobby is microscopy and I really do like the Leica Microsystem microscopes. I myself use a Hund-Wetlzar (as in formerly Leitz-Wetzlar) but I lost faith in the Leica cameras when they started stamping their names on Panasonic cameras. Leica film cameras were awesome because film was film. Leica Digital Cameras - lost the thread. Digital camera technology changes each year and the bodies are meant to be used and upgraded when the time comes. They're not meant to be ridiculously expensive with primitive electronics.

I'm not a closet Leicaphile. I wanted to like it. I wanted to see what the hype was all about. I borrowed a M9 for a couple of days. Image quality aside, I found the interface to be very primitive and the ergonomics to be rubbish. I've found the Fuji X Pro 1 to be the camera Leica was trying to make...for a much better price. Leica got the camera right in the 1930s and spent the next 8 decades doing very little else.

The X-Pro isn't what Leica was trying to make. The M9, is basically a regular M with a full frame digital sensor, with rangefinder and all that stuff in there. X-Pro is mostly an AF camera that looks like a rangefinder. They look similar, and both have interchangeable lenses, but that's pretty much where it ends. The M9 is exactly what it's supposed to be. Some people like it, some people don't. No big deal.. buy something else.

I get that you didn't like the Leica experience, but this makes me wonder, would you feel the same about other rangefinder cameras? They have the same type of "primitive" controls and ergonomics. (Zeiss Ikon, Yashicas, Bessas, for example) Maybe you're just not a manual focus, rangefinder guy, which is fine.
Small camera with large sensor and interchangeable lenses...yup...
Both do that. ergo...functionally they occupy the same niche.

I've heard people say "when you shoot with a leica, everything changes"

I've used alot of different camera gear, but I have never touched a leica. In the world of micro 4/3rds, i'm not really sure what the appeal of a digital Leica is anymore either.

For film, sure. Super high quality lenses, small body, near silent operation. If you want to be inconspicuous, it's a great tool for that.

I tell you what though, if I was to buy a leica right now, it would not be a digital one, waste of money the M8 and M9 are.
Oh ya?

Well I'll tell you what dude. I liked the other avatar better.
My old mug, or the fish in a chicken, smoking a cig?

That is if Leica Camera survives that long. Their prices did not come down with the advent of the other rangefinders...it won't be coming down now.

Blah blah blah blah...

Leica Camera AG Q1 financial results for 2011/2012 fiscal year are out | Leica News & Rumors

"Leica Camera Group maintained its growth during the first quarter of the new fiscal year. At EUR 72,313,000, sales were 28.7% up on the corresponding quarter of the previous fiscal year (EUR 56,176,000), while the consolidated net income for the period under review, influenced by such factors as a higher contribution margins, rose by EUR 1,403,000 to EUR10,829,000 (previous year EUR 9,426,000).

Due to the continuing strong demand the number of people employed by the Group rose to 1,152 (previous year 1,083).

For the 2011/2012 fiscal year the Board of Management anticipates further sales growth, pushing our EBIT well over the 20 million euro mark."

Leica Camera AG with record sales for 2011, intends to pay dividend | Leica News & Rumors

"Leica Camera AG announced record sales for the fiscal year 2011: EUR 248.9 million (compared to EUR 158.2 million for 2010) - this is an increase of more than 57%. The operating profit is EUR 42.4 million (compared to EUR 7.4 million for 2010). Net income rose to EUR 30.4 million (previous year: EUR 3.2 million)."

Prices are up at least from the US standpoint because world wide demand is up, supply is limited due to labor intensive process, and the dollar is down. Lots of expensive items are going the same way.. in part due to the rising middle and affluent classes in China. Glad I bought almost all the glass that was of interest to me more than 5 years ago. Couldn't afford it now. Btw... look at BH and Adorama stock of Leica M glass. They've been out of stock for months now because of the demand.

As I said the M-mount camera was built as intended for the current Leica M-users. They didn't want all that technology. What they want is a digital version of the Leica film M's. It doesn't mean that the company itself doesn't embrace change. They did exactly that with the discontinuation of the R-series (not enough resources to keep it going plus start new ventures) and the creation of the Leica S2.... which is by all means forward looking (Ex OLED top information panel). Also, have you ever looked at the insides of a M8/M9? Its TIGHT!! Bigger screen, bigger battery? what space. Smallest full frame camera really does mean that space is limited.

I didn't agree with the closet Leicaphile comment that Helen made at first... but ... now i'm starting to agree with it. lol Lots of blanket statements being made with little understanding behind them.

Small camera with large sensor and interchangeable lenses...yup...
Both do that. ergo...functionally they occupy the same niche.

Clueless... yup. Fuji has a crop sensor... NEX is smaller than the both.

Crop sensor + interchangeable lenses yup... means that DSLRs are functionally and occupy the same as Mirrorless cameras? The Fuji X100 is functionally the same as a P&S. etc... ?? You can keep repeating it and its still illogical statement.

Last edited:
Just get a nex-7 and strap a leica lens to it.

Only read the first page of comments, but... if you don't understand Leica, tht's fine. It's a very different way of photographing, almost like comparing a motorcycle to a car. Both will get you there, there's fancy versions of both, and both users feel they made the smart/sexy/cool/right choice. I like motorcycles, and I like my Leicas.

As to the red dot being bragging rights... LOL. Who cares. 90% of the world doesn't care about camera gear. The next 7% are people like the ones on this forum who barely understand the big consumer brands. And the rest see one and understand it as a personal choice.

... but just to geek out for a moment, I like my M8, but I also really like my R-D1s...

And yes, I still gladly shoot my EOS System for my fine art stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back