The appeal of the M9?

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This guy explains why the M9 appeals to him. I don't like how he's narrowing its use to people posing and looking at him 3-4 feet away. Surely he could come up with more possible situations? Anyway, this video is not just about the M9, but all "simplistic" cameras, as most rangefinders are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boasting rights and proving that you have that much money. I've played with the M9....I was underwhelmed by the $7k camera. The battery life was horrible, the need to remove the entire baseplate to change memory card. The tiny primitive LCD screen. It's an utterly pointless camera.

I've heard people say "when you shoot with a leica, everything changes"

I've used alot of different camera gear, but I have never touched a leica. In the world of micro 4/3rds, i'm not really sure what the appeal of a digital Leica is anymore either.

For film, sure. Super high quality lenses, small body, near silent operation. If you want to be inconspicuous, it's a great tool for that.

I tell you what though, if I was to buy a leica right now, it would not be a digital one, waste of money the M8 and M9 are.

I like your philosophy, switch :thumbsup:

I have a Leica. Honestly, I can get images from my other cameras that look similar, but using it is the experience that I love about it. I couldn't care less about 'bragging rights'.. (of course, M6 is old, not much bragging rights there). I love using it so much that if I had to only keep one of my cameras, M6 would be it.

..that said, I do think the M9 is overpriced for what you get. For the price, i'd much rather get a D4.

Last edited:
One of the really nice things about the M9 is the size, it's not nearly as intrusive (in public) as a pro body but it has the same if not better resolution.

One of the really nice things about the M9 is the size, it's not nearly as intrusive (in public) as a pro body but it has the same if not better resolution.

True.. but it does go beyond that as well... its operation how you connect is also a factor as bhop eluded to. A few of the obvious.. that comes to mind

* Tunnel vision of a DSLR viewfinder versus the open view of a rangefinder
* Composition with a view that is not impacted by the focal length of a lens
* Complete clear view from near focus to infinity at all times even when shooting wide open. Let's you clearly notice obstructions or distractions in the background

Yes.. expensive (I had to sell an entire high end Canon system to afford it). I would consider an alternative... if one existed. The Epson R-D1 was very close but not quite (I sold it too). I could care less of bragging rights... most of the time people don't even notice I have it with me since I carry it in a regular run of the mill messenger bag (not even a camera bag). Many hate the attention... hence why many tape gaffer tape over the red dot.

Interesting bhop... I sold my M6 titanium to keep an M3.

True.. but it does go beyond that as well... its operation how you connect is also a factor as bhop eluded to. A few of the obvious.. that comes to mind

* Tunnel vision of a DSLR viewfinder versus the open view of a rangefinder
* Composition with a view that is not impacted by the focal length of a lens
* Complete clear view from near focus to infinity at all times even when shooting wide open. Let's you clearly notice obstructions or distractions in the background

Yes.. expensive (I had to sell an entire high end Canon system to afford it). I would consider an alternative... if one existed. The Epson R-D1 was very close but not quite. I could care less of bragging rights... most of the time people don't even notice I have it with me since I carry it in a regular run of the mill messenger bag (not even a camera bag). Many hate the attention... hence why many tape gaffer tape over the red dot.

I was trying not to take sides. Actually, I'm a huge Leica fan.

Many hate the attention... hence why many tape gaffer tape over the red dot.

True.. being noticed while taking a photo is mostly unavoidable if the subject sees you bringing your camera up to your face, but a bright red dot attracts the eye more than a plain body does. People that know Leicas will notice it anyway...

I painted my dot black

Ghetto Black Dot by bhop, on Flickr

Boasting rights and proving that you have that much money. I've played with the M9....I was underwhelmed by the $7k camera. The battery life was horrible, the need to remove the entire baseplate to change memory card. The tiny primitive LCD screen. It's an utterly pointless camera.

But dude--it has that cool red dot!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back