The Art Of Critique

Ryanlilly, I guess you and I are not serious photographers since we like to have fun as well and discuss photography as a hobby (along with critique...positive or negative)..

Shall we move away from the flaming or can I get me flamethrower and napalm for this thread?
As I said earlier the key think is to speak in a respectful manner - that goes a long long way to making not only good comments but also a good community - be it online or in the physical world

The fact of the matter is that most people who post on this board have little idea what they're doing in terms of technique, and have a poor or not yet developed eye for subject matter and composition. As such, the general guidelines for giving a professional critique don't apply very well, though they shouldn't be disregarded entirely. If people are posting images for critique in order to get a pat on the back, then they're posting for the wrong reason. If you want a critique it should be because you want to understand what you're doing wrong, and what you've done right (if anything). In that vein, I often look at images posted for critique here and see a laundry list of problems, from poor exposure to unoriginal composition, poor attention to light and other environmental factors, and terrible post-processing. So it's often really very difficult to give an "encouraging" critique when there are so many wrong things that also need to be noted. Frankly, I've mostly stopped giving critiques because a) the goodie-goodies here jump all over me, and b) I'm really quite insulted that someone would spent so little time learning their craft and their art and then even have the nerve to ask why their photo looks like ****. Go read a book you lazy amateur bums! If you study and you practice, and then you've got some real questions, I'm more than happy to oblige, but don't break your D40 or whatever out of the box and go shoot a terrible photo of a flower in your back yard and then ask for approval, or why I have more bad things to say than good.

Ryanlilly, I guess you and I are not serious photographers since we like to have fun as well and discuss photography as a hobby (along with critique...positive or negative)..

That is correct, caspertodd, by virtue of the fact that we are serious about our craft, even though we are at all levels of development, many of us are not interested in, nor do we have time for, the frivolity, and would like to concentrate more on our skills and the artistry and the improvement thereof.

I am not looking for the arguments that seem to lead to the closing of threads and the banning of people. I am only wishing to find photographic inspiration. I don't know why you would want to get into this conversation. There are plenty of places for you to go on this forum to find what you seek. Remember, I concede that you are in the majority.

I think the thing with critique is that people sometimes have differing opinions on things - for example one might think an improvement in colour could be needed others may not or it should be cropped differently etc.... I tend to now put in my opinion if I say something like that lol

In regards to fun areas on a site like this - I think we all need something of a break away from the 'serious' things. As that saying says All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy - not saying it does make people dull of course LOL just that I think life's too serious sometimes and we all need a bit of light-hearted stuff :)

Before someone pops up to say that the OP can just ignore the threads or the forums that are too social, let me interject that the constant trend to social posts and useless comments just pervades every part of the site.

Look back at the many experienced posters who have left or don't post anymore (don't count ego explosions).

Compare that to the relative inexperience of the vast majority of new posters.

I don't post pictures here anymore because the average comment doesn't teach me or tell me anything and I get more for my effort at other places.

Miaow, I do not take issue with anyone wanting that. Not at all. There's plenty of room for that here, as I've said, that is the majority of the people.

I don't want that, really. I'm here only to improve my skills and my artistry. And it turns out there are many here, although we are in the minority, who would like to stick to the basics of photography. As you can see by Alpha's post, some don't even give real critiques anymore because that is not what the majority of the people want. I started this thread because some of us do.

So please, Alpha and others, please show us the way to A Better Critique.

That is correct, caspertodd, by virtue of the fact that we are serious about our craft, even though we are at all levels of development, many of us are not interested in, nor do we have time for, the frivolity, and would like to concentrate more on our skills and the artistry and the improvement thereof.

I am not looking for the arguments that seem to lead to the closing of threads and the banning of people. I am only wishing to find photographic inspiration. I don't know why you would want to get into this conversation. There are plenty of places for you to go on this forum to find what you seek. Remember, I concede that you are in the majority.

You mention you are not looking for arguments... but you insult members of this forum by insinuating they are in a childrens playground...

You mention that you are a non-contributing member to other forums of higher intellect... but you blither a couple of hundred posts here in a month..

This forum is free... so .. you get what you pay for... there are many levels of photographers here that can assist in your development.... but carefully selected condescending words directed against the fraternity of this forum is no way to promote your agenda...

I'm uncertain of why you even took the time to write this post when you have found other Forums that better suit your taste.

You pretty much deserve any flaming you get here.

You mention you are not looking for arguments... but you insult members of this forum by insinuating they are in a childrens playground...

You mention that you are a non-contributing member to other forums of higher intellect... but you blither a couple of hundred posts here in a month..

This forum is free... so .. you get what you pay for... there are many levels of photographers here that can assist in your development.... but carefully selected condescending words directed against the fraternity of this forum is no way to promote your agenda...

I'm uncertain of why you even took the time to write this post when you have found other Forums that better suit your taste.

There is nothing I could add that could indicate the attitude of many of the posters here better than the post above.

How appropriate to come from someone who declares his occupation as 'drunk.'

Perhaps he is writing from work?

Bull****.

As an artist, you don't have time for "frivolity" because you need to be serious?

This kind of thinking breeds lifeless art. You're looking for inspiration? The one limitless source of inspiration is the spontaneous human interaction around you.

EDIT: I'm sorry this post sounds harsh. I just very much resent the fact that people will look down on others for having a good time, and not being serious 24/7. caspertodd is not any less of a serious photographer for being social.

There is nothing I could add that could indicate the attitude of many of the posters here better than the post above.

How appropriate to come from someone who declares his occupation as 'drunk.'

Perhaps he is writing from work?

um... yes.... and your point??

I am uncertain why you would want to place yourself firmly at odds with a small minority of serious photographers wishing to improve without the frivolity...or why you would post to this thread. Did you read all the words?

Will you kids chill out already?

Most people who know anything about anything here have become less inclined to give advice over time. In that respect the forum's body of knowledge has really gone down the tubes. As with most information on the internet, they've been replaced by people who talk a lot of talk but don't know much.

When arrogant amateurs create a climate of uneasiness for people posting substantive critiques, then real critique ceases to flourish. It's not incumbent upon those willing to assist to provide it in the face of backlash. It's incumbent upon the learning to be humble.

EDIT: I'm sorry this post sounds harsh. I just very much resent the fact that people will look down on others for having a good time, and not being serious 24/7. caspertodd is not any less of a serious photographer for being social.

You're not sorry 8 posts into this forum. You're not sorry because you already know you will be in the majority and you will eventually bully those of us wishing to engage in intelligent adult discourse about art. And yes, we will eventually go away, but it will be your loss. So I suggest to you, before you bring any more ugliness, that you move on to the other million threads that will be more to your liking.

Will you kids chill out already?

Most people who know anything about anything here have become less inclined to give advice over time. In that respect the forum's body of knowledge has really gone down the tubes. As with most information on the internet, they've been replaced by people who talk a lot of talk but don't know much.

When arrogant amateurs create a climate of uneasiness for people posting substantive critiques, then real critique ceases to flourish. It's not incumbent upon those willing to assist to provide it in the face of backlash. It's incumbent upon the learning to be humble.

This is very reasonable, and I can appreciate this.

What I don't agree with is putting down other people for being social.

Most reactions

Back