The Art of Photographic Critique (a.k.a. constructive criticism)

I thought it was a very good article and I try to write any critiques I have along those lines. On the other hand, I rarely put up images for critique because I already know "My exposure is crappy – My highlights are all blown out.” Most people already know what is wrong, they just want to know how to fix it. That is where constructive criticism is really effective.

Here is an interest and (to me) helpful discussion of constructive criticism with some specific examples of photo criticism:
A Crash Course in The Art of Constructive Critique

Would you tend to agree or disagree?

I was taught that criticism should be structured like an oreo cookie:

• First something good to say
  • Next, point out the flaws
  • End with a positive aspect
Always made sense to me, anyhow.

I agree with your three points. That goes for any kind of "criticism" or advice, photo or otherwise. One thing I would add is to make recommendations of how to improve the picture. Good post. :)

I dunno. Seems to me that shot's on here get critiqued way more softly that they used to be, or maybe it's just me that's gotten used to it.

I'll admit, I don't always have time to go in depth with some posts, especially with 4 or 5 or more shots so quite often with them I'm quite to the point. Same if I just say "nice shot", there's nothing in particular I feel I can add.

The vast majority of the time on here I don't see the kind of throw away comments that are highlighted in the article, it's very seldom I've seen a post without advice on how to improve it for next time.

I agree with the three points you make! cThe C&C here is wayyyyyyyy more gentle than it used to be; we used to have some real d***s that seemed to relish just brutally ripping noobs...most of those guys (and yes, they are almost always 'guys') were banned, or left.

With 4 and 5-shot posts, it's a monnumental effort to C&C all equally well.

MOST posts here offering C&C DO offer a way to improve next time; that seems pretty standard here on TPF.

Yeah, I remember the 'brutal days' lol, trouble is society now can't stand the truth and so critique has been toned down to the stage where you need to be giving out mutley badges in case you offend anyone, personally I know when I've made a s**t shot, can see when somebody else has too and have said as much in the past but then again 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' so everything is personal really.

I tend to stay away from critiquing others for those reasons, the subject matter is immaterial and I reckon all critique on photography forums should be limited to technical mistakes, exposure, colour, focus etc, if you're not getting those right then there should be plenty help at hand around here.

I want to know what the photographer was trying to accomplish with the photo. If it was meant to be beautiful or just to document an event the CC would be different.
Usually focus is critical BUT what if the photog wanted soft focus?
The lightpole growing out of Aunt Joan's head may be on purpose.

I think the number of members on here is gone down since I joined, only a few years ago. Has critique been watered down, yes it has or perhaps I'm getting better at taking images or I don't post up much anymore.

Best advice on how to get critique on here is to only post between Monday and Thursday.

Last edited:
I have actually received some VERY knowledgeable and good critiques on here and very helpul ones that i was greatful they put the time and effort in. Been a couple years now but once people figured out my level of expertise, how i shot (maybe somewhat how i thought?) And a basic idea of my level of equipment a few individuals centered their critique easier by my past posts knowing what i might have missed or needed work on. Takes a lot of "getting to know" the person though

I like zombiesniper's take on this subject. Asking for cc without giving an idea of what you're struggling with makes it more difficult for anyone to truly help and for the op to improve their skills. If you want genuine cc you need to think about what you're looking for advice on and provide your own input first.

Sometimes though, you just want affirmation that the shot you like appeals to others as well. And I think that's ok too. In that case a simple request for comments/feedback is valid, IMO.

I've seen the complaints and laments for the "good old days" when harsh criticism was the norm. I guess I don't understand why anyone would prefer that type of vibe to one where criticism is given but with a kinder voice. If only the best most technically correct perfectly composed photos are acceptable without harsh criticism and ugly attacks then the forum would be pretty toxic and more of a war zone than a supportive community.

Generally the only formula I try to follow for giving feedback is pointing out what the photographer did right and then pointing out what needs work and how to improve it. While I think it's important to tell someone what they are doing right, I sometimes just cut to the chase if the issue is overwhelmingly bad, and at the very least try to also explain why in my eyes I see it as something that ruins or takes away from an image.

If the photographer is someone I know to be skilled, I will forego pointing out what was done right and just tell them what I think can be done better.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer to remind them of every mistake they've made in the past 10 years. Then I offer them coffee but I forget to tell them my coffee pot is messed up so it has a lot of grounds in it and also I'm out of sugar. Afterwards I make sure they know that I am a superior photographer because it's the truth.

Once I've built this level of trust, I know they'll be receptive to honest critique and hopefully will take it to heart because, as I said, I am superior.

Personally, I prefer to remind them of every mistake they've made in the past 10 years. Then I offer them coffee but I forget to tell them my coffee pot is messed up so it has a lot of grounds in it and also I'm out of sugar. Afterwards I make sure they know that I am a superior photographer because it's the truth.

Once I've built this level of trust, I know they'll be receptive to honest critique and hopefully will take it to heart because, as I said, I am superior.
This, of course, is a superior post. ;)

Most reactions

Back