The Barber | Another portrait test with the Einstein

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to start a little self project. Basically I want to meet as many new people as possible and photograph someone unique and work on my techniques in the process.

Yesterday I met Dave Pegg, who keeps it unique and still does a straight edge shave.

Dave was very friendly off the get go. I simply walked into his shop and joked about how he was the only barber shop still open (6pm) and there were three barbers on the same block.

I told Dave about this project I wanted to start and Dave was instantly thrilled to be a part and pose for me.

We talked for a good half hour and I packed up, we shook hands and here's the photo I left with.

Camera Details

Nikon D4
24-70 2.8

Einstein 640
White Beauty Dish
Diffusor Sock
High Camera Right

SB900
Bare
Low Camera Left

$14716272491_12f895fd2c_c.jpg

Original
$20140721-003_zps1cdeeb2b.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could see more of the environment/barber shop

It actually was quite small, only two chairs. Maybe 8x14 foot.

I wanted a little more "barbershop" environment, but this was all I had to work with :/

I was leaned up against the door, and you can see the yellow door in the back, thats the bathroom and the end of the shop. Very small.

Nicely done. Two things sort of niggle at me: (1) You needed a lot more light off of your strobes to knock down those bulbs above his shoulder; and (2) I wish we could see more of the chair in this shot. He's such a big guy and the colour of the smock he's wearing cause the razor to almost get lost.

Uploaded the original.

It actually was quite small, only two chairs. Maybe 8x14 foot.
why can't you people talk in meters like all the great people do!?

I wanted a little more "barbershop" environment, but this was all I had to work with :/
I was leaned up against the door, and you can see the yellow door in the back, thats the bathroom and the end of the shop. Very small.
oh... I'm sure Lightroom can fix that too

;)

2.4384 m by 4.2672 m....better? haha

And yes, Lightroom worked wonders lol

2.4384 m by 4.2672 m....better? haha
much, much better

And yes, Lightroom worked wonders lol
and also, I would... like, this is jmo... mask out the light bulbs, not change the hue of colors that are already present, because they look better in original than when you changed them. orange went yellow in that sign above his head, look at the red on the table, green on the back of the chair...

Hmmmmm, I thought the bulbs would add some 'flare' to the photo. Maybe I went too far with it. I see what you mean with the color shifts, damn :(

Hmmmmm, I thought the bulbs would add some 'flare' to the photo. Maybe I went too far with it. I see what you mean with the color shifts, damn :(
don't :( someone will come now and tell how wrong I am... ;)

And also... when you entered the barber shop and saw how small is it, you could perhaps shoot from outside, make a frame out of doors and show him and a bit of barbershop inside that frame/doors... I hope I was able to explain what I mean

I actually did go outside to shoot! How funny....Photos came out terrible though, not posting those lol

why terrible? now I'm curious...

I'm thinking because it was so bright outside, not a cloud in the sky.

I tried shooting through the door, but the angle wasn't lining up, there were chairs lined up so customer can sit on in the way (didn't want to move too much stuff).

Then I tried shooting through a very large window in the front. And I've never shot through a window before and it was extremely dusty and dirty and just looked bad.

But it was a good idea, just poorly executed on my part.

ok then... you said that this is a project, so I'm looking forward to shred more of your photographs and conclude that you're far better in taking selfies (yes I checked your flickr) ;)

Most reactions

Back