The Beginnings of YOUR photography

I took 3 years of photography in High School--learned on film. But I was never a scholar and really put little effort into learning/experimenting, I regret that. I was much more interested in my Computer Graphics and Desktop Publishing classes at the time.

since we are posting pics, here's the actual camera I learned on:
DSC_9462.JPG

and my 50mm f/1.4
DSC_9455.JPG

Can you tell a HS student used it? Dat filter ring! Thank god for all metal construction.

I also worked for a 1-hour photo after school/summer breaks in college when they still had those things.

During college I only had a little Kodak PNS (before cell phone cameras were a big thing) and that was better than nothing.

I went into graphic design after school and once I graduated I upgraded to a D40 because I missed having an SLR. I mainly used it to take pictures of cars on the track and at autocrosses, my big hobby at the time. Nothing really beyond that.

But it really wasn't until last May when I went to the Dominican Republic that I really got back into photography to do more than just take "good" pictures. I ended purchasing a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 lens, for my D3100 which replaced my D40, so I'd just have one decent lens I could travel with and while there I took some pretty good shots that I'm proud of.

That really sparked up my interest again beyond just taking car pics. Now I think most car photography is incredibly boring.

Since then in the short spam of a year after joining here, I went from a D3100 to a D5100, replaced my 55-300mm with a 70-300mm, sold my 10-24mm and bought a 85mm 1.8G, bought a second flash and remote triggers and modifiers like umbrellas and softboxes. And now since I started part my little racecar and moving my money from cars back into this hobby, I've upgrade further to a D600 and a 24-70mm F/2.8 and I'm about to pull the trigger on a 70-200mm F/2.8 once I can sell my wheels/tires (today hopefully if this guy doesn't flake on me!!!).

I still don't shoot enough, and that bothers me with all this money invested into it. Come spring I have a few interested in portraits and I hope that it takes off a bit and I can monetize the hobby a bit by doing it. But besides my cats, I don't have much to shoot at home, so I need to start venturing out and making opportunities for myself to practice and learn.

I started in the mid 70's with an Minolta 202 with a 50 mm lens took a photographic class. I had Minolta XG 9, XD 11, plus the 202. Got good enough to shoot weddings and engagement photos for a photography studio for about 12 years part time. I have Minolta primes 20, 24, 28, 35, 45, 50, 100, 135, 200, and 400 mm the nice part was the studio had a photo store and equipment was at the stores cost. I used Minoltas until 2003 when I went on a cruise purchased my first digital camera. Switched to Nikon with the D90 and purchased last may a 7100, the kit lens 18-105, 50 1.4, 70-300, and sigma 150-500 MM. I now shoot mostly wildlife for my enjoyment.

I want to know how you got into photography AND how you learnt a majority of your photographic knowledge.
Cardboard one time use film cameras from Eckards ( It was the precursor to CVS and Walgreens where I grew up). Trial and error is where I learned the most. I learned almost as much from the internets be it forums or articles and of course, YouTube.

Last edited:
Brownie box camera was my first around 1970, 110 soon after that, then a Kodak Retina > Minolta X-700 > Minolta Maxxum 7000 and a Nikon D7000 last year, learned developing film and prints from books, did my own printing and enlarging. After buy a DSLR last year I learned that much of what I knew about cameras no longer applied, hence my screen name... I'm an old dog learning "New Tricks"

I started around 12 years old, early 70's, on a Kodak Retina IIa that my father picked up when he was stationed in Germany. Went thru a couple of 110's till I picked up a Minolta XG 1. Still use it on occasion. Went thru some P & S that never survived more than a couple of outings with my wife. Had some early digital P & S till I got the D40X. Moved to D 300 and now D 800. I also have a couple of P & S that I keep at work, in the car, plus a waterproof Fuji for canoeing and snorkeling. Never had formal training ( it shows) but I read a lot.

I bought a DSLR for the video capability's, I have a youtube channel and wanted to up my video production game, with no intentions of partaking in photography. A year later, I am completely sucked in.

I joined our local photo club for kids after I was given my late father's camera. It was a small film Smena camera with a fixed lense. I attended the classes twice. On the first day our teacher showed us how to develop a print of an Autumn leaf. That was fun. On the second day some kid brought slides of naked women and we spent some time in the darkroom printing the images. That was fun as well. We were interrupted by the teacher who found the images and got angry. We all run away. I have never returned to that club and never had any other lessons in photography. I was probably 12 at the time. It was a long time ago in a country that does not exist any more, in a city that changed its' name. Autumn leaves and naked women though kept their appeal untouched.

Most reactions

Back