The Beginnings of YOUR photography

Wow, so your start was kinda like an accident! Haha!

mine? yea. more or less. It was kind of born of necessity. I enjoy photography, but it isnt something I would do full time. i would never give up EMS for it. My plan is to further myself in the medical field. Nursing school in the next few years. Get out of the field full time and into a hospital ER. Im happy to stay the part time amateur photographer helping out my wife.

True. Even though photogrphy really is something that ‘helps’ people, it will never be as ‘helpful’ as actually healing them!

I was choosing my options for GCSE and I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do for them. One of my friends wanted to do photography and I thought it was something I could also do. I like technical stuff, computers, gadgets etc so I thought it was a good decision. So I did it for 2 years and then continued it for another 2 at A Level.

Most of the stuff I learnt from reading some stuff on the Internet, what my Dad told me and strangely enough, I learnt very little about the subject in school but I learnt about exposure, aperture and ISO there.

But yeah, that's my boring story :p

It all began for me when I sent off for my first camera at the age of 8 or 9. It was a small, simple, B&W only camera advertised in the newspaper my parents took. I saved my pocket money, bought a postal order and waited for what seemed an eternity for it to arrive. The photos were tiny and very grainy but I was hooked.

My next camera took 110 cassette film and allowed me to take colour photos. It also had a slot on top for flash cubes.

Once I had left school and started earning, I was able to buy my first serious camera: an SLR from Miranda. It had a light sensor and, albeit very simple by later standards, an LED exposure indicator in the viewfinder, which lit a green light for good, orange for okay and red for bad exposure. I could now focus on what I wanted, set my own shutter speeds and choose the aperture myself. Heaven.

In my twenties I had other things to do and so I drifted towards automatics which used 35mm film.

Seven or so years ago I bought a digital camera and enjoyed using this new technology for a while. We use a digital bridge camera nowadays as the family camera, but I have gone back to using film now that I once again have the time to pursue photography as a hobby. Digital I found to be lacking in some way on the whole.

These days I use two Revue SLR models, both of which were made by Chinon and have the Pentax K coupling. I also have a very nice viewfinder camera from Voigtländer and a folding middle format camera from Agfa; but the SLRs are my main instruments.

Wow, you sure did evolve over the years! From a camera from the newspaper to a dslr! Haha!

Never owned a DSLR, and probably never will (but who knows?). The first digital was a compact and the current one a bridge.

I spent my youth outdoors a lot. camping, hiking etc. My dad pickd up a cannon slr to photo deer with. We would spend a lot of hiking time tracking deer and seeing how many deer we could find on a trip (most was probalby around 22) So he got the camera to get photos. Always enjoyed taking his camera and getting shots, but got older. got into cars, car shows. building cars and showing them off. started back by wanting to get photos of cars at shows that had good ideas, so I picked up a simple p&s and then got another one, and kept talking about getting a good one. put it off for several years because anytime I had the money Id wind up putting it into my show car. But eventually bit the bullet, Got my Nikon D3000 and have been into it full time since then.

I fell in love with photography when I was a kid. I probably kept the disposable camera industry alive :lol:. I remember trying to get 'landscape' shots of the field across the street from the top of my swingset's monkeybars ;) I have a huge stack of useless crappy photo albums from my childhood that I will probably never open again! I had wanted a dslr for years but until recently (dec 2011) was unable to afford one. I never studied photography until I got my dslr and have learned everything I know through internet forums and google

Well my friend was getting into photography and always wanted me to model for her, so I did. Eventually she ended up wanting to be on the other end of the camera so I started taking a few photos of her. Slowly I started thinking more like the photographer and less like the model and was coming up with photoshoot ideas and wanting to go to school for photography (a few things in life happened that stopped that) but now that I have my life a little more figured out I saved up and purchesed my first dslr :) It makes me a little sad that the friend who got me into photography isnt in my life anymore but ah well lol stuff happens.

My grandfather was an avid photographer. Avid maybe isn't the best word... rabid might be closer. When he passed about a year ago one of the notices that went out to extended family described him as "The one who always had a camera". I got the bug from him. I started with an old 35mm point and shoot (I don't even remember the brand). I eventually moved "up" (or so I thought at the time) to a Kodak Advantix, then I went all out and got a Rebel K2. I kind of got spoiled shooting with my K2 and didn't really delve into digital until last year when I splurged and got myself a Rebel T2i with 18-55mm and 75-300. Not the best equipment in the world, but for my budget they do what I need them to do. I want to get a few other lenses, particularly a 50mm f1.8 but I know I'm better off mastering the equipment I have now rather than spending a whole bunch of extra money.

Eventually I am going to build myself a barn door type mount for doing wide angle astrophotography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back