The Beginnings of YOUR photography

JoshuaSimPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi again!!
So, to celebrate my 1000th post and my promotion to TPF Junkie, (I know, it took me only 2 months and I’m sorry if I ’spammed’ your feed) I decided to start a thread about the beginnings of YOUR photography.
I want to know how you got into photography AND how you learnt a majority of your photographic knowledge.
I do know that there has been a thread like this before but it seems to be ‘dead’. SO I want to give the new posters a go by starting a fresh one. It’s kinda like a movement…the new posters movement!
I got into photography the first time I held a DSLR, one of my dad’s friends let me play with it, and the moment I touched it…I was bitten by the photography bug! But In this day and age, I myself had easy access to the internet, so I learnt 99% of my knowledge through the internet, kinda like being self taught.
And if so, are there any people that learnt a majority of their knowledge through TPF?

Looking forward to your stories,
JoshuaSimPhotography:)

Joined the camera club in high school out of curiosity, back in 198*Cough* and found I liked it... things just sort of grew.

I was gifted a used Minolta SR-T 101 and a couple of lenses (1981). Loved the technical, artistic duality of photography.

The day after I got the camera I went to the closest public library and checked out some photography books to get started. Once I had read all that library had on hand, I started going to the main library in Downtown San Diego. I also started building my own personal photography reference library by buying my own copy of many of the books I borrowed from the library.

Photographic knowledge is supported by other knowledge, like knowledge of the visual arts, math, physics, technology, etc. Digital photography requires the photographer have much more technical knowledge than film photography did, in large part because computers are so involved with digital photography.

So my knowledge of photography comes from both formal technical education, and self directed art and photography basics education.

When I was probably 10 or 11, my grandmother gave me my grandfather's old Kodak Brownie (and all his slides and photos) that he'd had since sometime in the '40s--it had traveled with him as he worked government contract jobs in the Azore, Panama and Colombia. It really became my "connection" with a man I'd never met (he died before I was born). In addition, my whole family was very talented and artistic, but as the youngest of 5, I never felt like I was "as good" as the sibs or my mom in any artistic endeavor...until I found photography. In high school, I was the editor of our literary magazine and our sponsor, whom I really admired, greatly encouraged my photographic skills.
I got my first SLR as a high school graduation present (I'm not ashamed to say it...in 1979!) and the game was afoot!! I really got pretty serious about it for a few years...but then Life happened. College, marriage, kids...still took pictures, but didn't take it seriously. SLR camera sat on the shelf while I used film point-and-shoots and then digital point-and-shoots of increasing capabilities.

About four years ago, I started getting serious about photography again. Was still using a digital point-and-shoot but I really delved into it and did everything I could to improve while saving for a DSLR. Takes a while for a single parent to save for anything that's not for the kids :D, so it took about four years, but in the meantime I used that little Canon Powershot to the absolute max of its abilities, even winning a few ribbons at our local state fair, up against much better equipment.
Finally got to take the plunge last August and bought my D5100. I am now more serious about photography than I've ever been and loving taking my skills to the next level--and the next, and the next!

EDIT: Oh, and how I learned. Back in the days before the internet, we had these things called Books. :lol: Seriously, mostly I learned by reading everything I could then practicing it, and by bending the ear of anyone more-advanced photographer I could find, back in those days.
Since getting my DSLR, nearly ALL of any advancement I've made has been the direct result of the help of several amazing folks I've "met" here on TPF...and reading. ALWAYS reading!

EDIT of Edit: Oh, and Congratulations on your 1,000 post! But SERIOUSLY Dude, a thousand posts in what, a month and a half? GO outside, take some pictures, PLAY, interact with REAL people...there's a whole world out there, waiting to be lived!! :lol:

Last edited:
A neighbor introduced me to photography with his TLR in 1969. Been hooked ever since.

When I was about 12 years old I was given a Kodak box camera for my birthday. The first roll of 120 film went to the drugstore for processing and when I picked up my pictures there was an enlargement of one of my shots in the front window. The owner of the store had entered one of my shots in a photo contest without me even knowing it. So, having won a photo contest with a picture on my first roll of film I was hooked. That was 50 years ago.

I kept my interest throughout high school and when I got married and had a full time job one of my route customers who owned a camera store gave me a Pentax Spotmatic 500 35mm. This led me to read everything I could find on photography; from composition, to exposure, to developing and printing techniques. I bought darkroom equip. and taught myself to develop and print. years later I would be asked to help out at the local jr. college by giving assistance to beginners in the darkroom. I started hanging out with photographers whom I could learn from. I became a fan of Ansel Adams zone system for b/w photography and began to win awards at county fairs and local photo contests.

Fast forward about 30 years and I decided to give digital photography a try, Suddenly I found that much of my experience was no longer important. Learning how to use a computer was the important thing suddenly. So, after 50 years of taking pictures I feel like a beginner again. That's the main reason I joined this forum. I have a lot to learn. I'm hopeful that this will be a good place to do that.

The beginning of my photograpy is............................................

NOW

I had a photography assignment in a multimedia class my sophomore year of high school. I thought it was neat and it was an artistic medium I could develop decent skills in. And it was nice having a purpose at family functions other than just being "so-and-so's son."

Almost everything I've learned I've learned from books and the Internet. One other source is my professor for the two week intensive photography course I took in June, but that's about it.

Growing up in a small cowboy town didn't really give me many options of mentors or teachers.

My dad had a 35mm he bought in the early '50s while serving in Austria. He 'upgraded' to a Polaroid in the early 70's, which he let me use while on vacation.

After that, I purchased my own cameras, the first being a Pentax K1000. I ended up with an MX and ME Super with 11 lenses (Pentax 17, 20, 28, 40, 50 prime, 50 macro, 120, Celestron 300, Tokina 500, 25-50 and 80-200).

Somewhere, in storage, is that old 35mm of dad's. I've been searching for it in hopes it still works as I'd love to run a couple rolls of film through it.

I had an uncle who shot professionally back in the 50's-60's. I was fascinated by him and what he did, and would follow him around whenever we were visiting. He started taking me into his darkroom when I was like 4 or 5, and let me "assist" lol! He gave me a little Kodak Instamatic when I turned six.. and I was hooked from then on. He passed away in 1968, and so I lost someone I cared about, and a great resource who used to to show me what he did, and even take me on shoots occasionally when he was in town.
I dabbled with it, until I was a freshman in High School. I purchased a Pentax K1000, and setup a small darkroom. It went on from there, until in the early eighties, I was working in a lab, and doing some minor shooting on the side. A friend convinced me to shoot a wedding (something I had been avoiding) and that led to my opening a studio (especially after an Olympus Rep dropped by, and gave me a great deal on a bunch of new gear (OM-4)). Did that for about six or seven years, had some family stuff happen, got burned out with 70-80 hour weeks.. and shut down the studio. Have played with photography ever since... sometimes just a little... sometimes a lot. I got back into it in big way about two years ago... and here I am.

I've been around graphic artists all my life - family and friends. In the 70's I hung out at the San Francisco Art Institute mooching classes, taking photos of whatever, and learning zinc plate etching and silkscreen. Fun days. In college I took a zillion art classes - commercial design, drawing, painting, sculpture, lettering, art history, film - everything except photography(!). I got a degree in Psychology and then went to grad school for a MBA. I didn't seriously get back into photography until 2007, at which point I started learning slowly from reading on the internet. Now, I'm learning a lot here on TPF.

I got my first camera when I was 11, in 1973 - an Olympus rangefinder. I learned to use it in a fairly basic fashion, but I didn't really get "into" photography until in my late teens when I started using my dad's old Minolta SR-7. Then I drifted away from photography and just used P&S cameras until about 2007 when I bought my used Canon Digital Rebel, the camera I have now. As soon as I have more money, I'll get a Pentax K-5 or K-7.

Influences:

An uncle who shoots professionally - mostly MF B+W portraits. Galen Rowell. Edward S. Curtis. Leni Riefenstahl (minus the repulsive political ideology). Dorothea Lange. Alfred Eisenstaedt. Kishin Shinoyama. Eliot Porter. Many others. Various contemporary professionals.

Last edited:
The first time i thought to myself "I need a real camera" was on a submarine off the coast of Cozumel in 2006. I couldn't use any of the shots from my point and shoot because of the delay between hitting the button and the camera actually taking a picture. Then after seeing Trombone Shorty and Orleans Ave. at the HOB in New Orleans, I decided that I should be capturing local musician at some of our historic venues so that the memories could be preserved. So I went out and bought the least expensive DSLR I could find and took some classes through an adult education program.

Got a 110 at age 10. Was 20 before I got a 35mm. Then got a digital P&S. Last year got a DSLR. I love pictures and art. I enjoy sketching and any type of art.

I am still learning about photography, and I am sure I always will. Technology always changing.

I enjoy so much taking photos. So, relaxing...the only thing in your mind is concentrating on your subject...

I had an old TLR in my toy box as a kid. Boy, would I kill to have that camera now!

I've missed you guys!

My dad had a Leica "C" which was one of his prized possessions. He did his own processing, and the darkroom was the bathroom.

My first camera at about 8 years of age was a Kodak TLR, with two settings.

By 16 I had a Practica 35mm. That camera's viewfinder was kinda usable in bright sunlight, focusing was manual, and the exposure meter wiggled whenever if felt like it - so I learned to expose by guesstimating the exposure setting. It had f/stops, and shutter speeds to 1/500 sec. Shot mainly Tri-X (I think). I have several books of negatives stored in the basement from that era. Moved to Kodachrome and bought a Lunapro 6 meter to get the exposure right, as slide film was much more finicky. Got several banker boxes filled with slides from THAT period.

Got very busy with work, life, and set aside photography for a decade. But needed something for taking photos, so bought a Rebel S and that was my workhorse for a while. However most of the family imaging was done with the digital video cameras when those started coming out. Once the P&S had more pixels than 1mb, bought my first point-and-shoot, and was happy that I didn't have to wait two weeks for processing and dubious prints. Eventually, moved to a Rebel XSi, and when that was stolen to my present T1i.

The big change for me photographically was joining a photo club, and discovering just how spotty my knowledge was. Since then, I've been using my camera in my work (as a contractor), and my work-in-progress and finished projects photos are an important part of my selling kit. The photoclub members also were generous with their time and expertise, and helped me expand my technical repertoire into flash photography, some studio and posing, and some nature. Forums such as this one also helped me by having people give very useful links and references to books.

I still have all my old cameras, and I think the Rebel S still has a new roll of film in it, but it's probably 'way past its best-by date. As for the Leica, the leather case has fallen apart, and the shutter may need to be replaced. But it is on the shelf, waiting patiently for me to rediscover it and put it to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back