The best flash for me?

artreuo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I'm into a lot of skateboard photography, and I think it's about time that I buy a flash setup. I'm only looking for one flash for now.

I have a very limited budget, so I'm wondering what would be the best flash, for a cheap price.

I've been looking at a Vivitar 285HV, but I don't see one for the Nikon D70. Do they work with the D70?

If there are any flashes that would work good, for a price around the Vivvy 285HV, could you name them?

I've got a 285HV, and a d70. It works with the d70, but it won't take advantage of the Nikon ttl/cls system. You'll have to use it the old fashioned way and adjust aperture and flash power to get your exposures right. I would recommend trying to find a used Nikon sb600 if you can. I have one of those too and it is a nice match with the d70.

Ahh, I know that the SB600s are pretty expensive. How much do you think I could get a used one for?

SB-600s are expensive, but IMHO worth it. I am looking at picking up 2 more making a total of 4 SB-600 and 1 SB-800 to control them all.

Nikon's CLS is very effective as a wireless solution and has reasonable distances (30-50 feet depending on conditions).

My latest little project involves placing 2 SB-600s into a 28 or 50 inch softbox and getting more light out of it than a single SB-900. To date, indoors I have successfully shot as far as 45 feet away consistently, using CLS alone.

Now, if you want a cheaper solution that doesn't have an integrated wireless receiver but has a built-in slave and is about the same power as a SB-600, sync port and full manual control for about $140 delivered, the Lumopro LP120 fro MPEX.com is a good alternative. One step further down from there is the Vivitar 285HV which, again is about the same power as the SB-600 but very affordable at well under $100.

Neither the Vivitar or the Lumopro are even iTTL compatible, but are both ok lights for those on a tight budget and a lot of strobists really like these lights for off camera use with remote wireless transmitters/receivers.

I have a pair of 285HVs an Use them often. It's a good place to start. Also skate photography works very well with off camera flash if you want to set up a shot for a specific trick. For example, you have a sweet gap or a six-stair, or whatever. Using some $30 radio triggers, set up your strobe(s) lighting the gap, experiment with angles and intensity while having a person just standing there, then after a few test shots, you know the lighting will be perfect, then have your skater jump the gap or stairs, until they get it right and you get your shot. No more of the skater doing the trick of a lifetime, and you saying "can you do it again? The picture didn't come out so good"

Now if you want to take spur of the moment skate photos, using the Vivitar on camera will be a lot more of a task than a dedicated flash.

Most reactions

Back