The Body Project (:

Btw, the fact that you are in Florida and have spanish text in your sig makes me think you may be of latino origins. That is part of my disappointment. I think latinos are more comfortable with their bodies than anglo-saxons and that means you should be able to get better photos related to your theme :grumpy:

There is absolutely no truth to your assertion here. None, whatsoever.

I liked 14, but as for the rest, they were slightly boring to me.

my bad. here i'll further explain then.
#1 Does nothing for me. Nothing sticks out or captures my eye. Just my opinion though of course.
#2 I liked the right side of the photo, showing texture and what not, but most of it is just like the first.
#3 I've seen it. It's boring. But I do like the focus and also I think that you doing film is a way better choice than digital. It gives it a different feel.
#6-10 Did nothing for me.
#15-14 are what I liked. They were more intresting and contorted then all the other photos you took.

Sorry for the bland critique before

I tend to agree with Mike E. They are technically acceptable, but they also seem lacking or maybe unfinished. The lighting is sometimes dramatic, but not in all of them.
I think the parts that bothers me most are the bright wall behind the model and the wrinkly bed sheets etc. They seem to be distracting elements, rather than simply unobtrusive background elements.
Maybe getting closer, zooming, cropping etc. would help.
My professor said I crop too much :lmao:

Final photos are up on Flickr!
The end of the Body Project for this semester.
Feedback, feedback, feedbackkk!!
:thumbup:

As a series/set, I think it works well. Each shot has merit of it's own, although I think maybe you could drop a few of them without hurting the overall project.
I'm not sure that the photos of the hands, fit into the group as well as the rest of them. The hand shots show flexed/distorted positions...which isn't really apparent in the rest of the shots. They are still good images, just that I think the project, as a whole, might be a little better if all/most of the shots showed the same level of tension. For example, the 2nd shot has a bit of tension with the bend in the back, the hands shot more tension, but some of the other shots don't show/feel tension at all.
Just a thought anyway.

As a series/set, I think it works well. Each shot has merit of it's own, although I think maybe you could drop a few of them without hurting the overall project.
I'm not sure that the photos of the hands, fit into the group as well as the rest of them. The hand shots show flexed/distorted positions...which isn't really apparent in the rest of the shots. They are still good images, just that I think the project, as a whole, might be a little better if all/most of the shots showed the same level of tension. For example, the 2nd shot has a bit of tension with the bend in the back, the hands shot more tension, but some of the other shots don't show/feel tension at all.
Just a thought anyway.
A lot were dropped, my final portfolio had about 7 images in total. I agree about the tension. Thanks for replying :D

Looks like your model may have had some skin blemishes which you might have tried to get rid of -- either through use of a filter, photoshop, make up, or something else...

I also think some of the images might have benefited from a shallower depth of field (e.g. maybe this one) although it could just be that I've viewing a small image on a monitor

I think the comments of boring are justified to a certain extent and may be related to the material. For instance in this shot you have a picture of a foot. And its a well done picture of a foot, there's a nice contrast between shadow and light, and the image is sharp. But, well, it's a foot and I don't think I'd hang a picture of a foot on my wall, no matter how good.

The material your model was sitting on also isn't so nice. For instance in this shot she's sunken into the bed so you see one butt cheek. I would much rather have seen her on a hard material so you see her full body, and I agree with the comment about cropping too much -- I would rather have seen all of her since the face is important -- although I can understand how maybe your model wouldn't want to be identifiable.

All in all I think it's interesting work... Better then I could have done :lol: Good job...

Looks like your model may have had some skin blemishes which you might have tried to get rid of -- either through use of a filter, photoshop, make up, or something else...

I also think some of the images might have benefited from a shallower depth of field (e.g. maybe this one) although it could just be that I've viewing a small image on a monitor

I think the comments of boring are justified to a certain extent and may be related to the material. For instance in this shot you have a picture of a foot. And its a well done picture of a foot, there's a nice contrast between shadow and light, and the image is sharp. But, well, it's a foot and I don't think I'd hang a picture of a foot on my wall, no matter how good.

The material your model was sitting on also isn't so nice. For instance in this shot she's sunken into the bed so you see one butt cheek. I would much rather have seen her on a hard material so you see her full body, and I agree with the comment about cropping too much -- I would rather have seen all of her since the face is important -- although I can understand how maybe your model wouldn't want to be identifiable.

All in all I think it's interesting work... Better then I could have done :lol: Good job...
Thanks for your critique buttt..
a)These aren't beauty shots, it's an exploration of the body, so that includes skin blemishes.
b)I agree with the material: bed, but I took all of them in her very crowded dorm, and to make matters worse her bed was a bunk bed. If there was another clear wall in her room I would've done it on the floor, but even so, there are things EVERYWHERE and I just couldn't compromise time at the moment. :thumbup:
c)I think of the face as a whole other 'world' than the body, and it's not that I was hiding her identity, I did take some with her face included but I didn't like them on the contact sheet and they didn't fit in as cohesive prints, imo.

For instance in this shot you have a picture of a foot. And its a well done picture of a foot, there's a nice contrast between shadow and light, and the image is sharp. But, well, it's a foot and I don't think I'd hang a picture of a foot on my wall, no matter how good.
That's your opinion, are you saying only the amazing pictures are hung up on walls (in people's houses, I assume)? I don't mean to come off as defensive, but wow. I don't think you read the description of the whole project, and that image was chosen for my final portfolio because it's not only a foot, it has leg too. Before I clicked the link, I was sure you were thinking of the leg section of the extension. I'm sorry my photos won't make it up on your wall, but they weren't taken for that intention, so it's fine. :thumbup::lmao:
I've seen some pretty boring sh!t up in people's houses, so even then, I still have a shot. [:

Cloudwalker,
They are not SELF PORTRAITS. And, if you read the description of the set, you would see they didn't start out as nudes. Thanks. I appreciate your honesty, but really don't find any depth in your 'theory', because ONE, you're wrong. My text is not Spanish. Two, not all photographers go through a 'nude' phase for the same reasons, this is just to try it out for a semester. To explore new horizons.
Intermediate Advanced meant either or, I should've just used one but oh well, your critique has no substance. It's boring to you, why? There's a subject and predicate to a sentence, and you just gave me a dead subject.

Your whole speculation about my signature has nothing to do with my photography, why? You have no idea what ethnicity the model is. It's one thing to give constructive criticism, and it's another to make false & highly generalized assumptions.

Anybody else?
:)

ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. ****ing cuban just finished off cloud with high generalized assumptions come back?????, and a backwards smiley face. K.O. Well, done.

Cloudwalker,
They are not SELF PORTRAITS. And, if you read the description of the set, you would see they didn't start out as nudes. Thanks. I appreciate your honesty, but really don't find any depth in your 'theory', because ONE, you're wrong. My text is not Spanish. Two, not all photographers go through a 'nude' phase for the same reasons, this is just to try it out for a semester. To explore new horizons.
Intermediate Advanced meant either or, I should've just used one but oh well, your critique has no substance. It's boring to you, why? There's a subject and predicate to a sentence, and you just gave me a dead subject.

Your whole speculation about my signature has nothing to do with my photography, why? You have no idea what ethnicity the model is. It's one thing to give constructive criticism, and it's another to make false & highly generalized assumptions.

Anybody else?
:)

ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. ****ing cuban just finished of cloud with high generalized assumptions, and a backwards smiley face. K.O. Well, done.
He should have read my profile before posting that garbage. :)
That's how I do smileys. :thumbup:
& thanks.

Most reactions

Back