The Body Project (:

Hi Sbuxo: I moved your thread from the Alt section to Discussion, since these images don't represent alternative techniques. :)

RE: the comment above about trying other films - I think you are actually wise to stick with one film while learning. If you are shooting, developing, and making print enlargements all from the same film type, you will become expert at what you can expect from that film type. When you eventually try others, you then have something solid to compare it to. You'll learn much faster with the next film you try, and you should use it for some time, as well. Eventually you'll be able to decide in advance what film you want for which project you're shooting, because you will be able to predict the results better. This is how we learn!

Good luck, and keep shooting! :D

Thank you! :):thumbup:

I once took a film photography class, and like all professors they had a very specific way they wanted the shots done, or styles they liked. I can honestly say I don't believe I took a single shot the way he liked, or how he wanted to see it done... I got an A+ in the class for being creative, thinking outside the box, and NOT following the "directions/guidelines"

Just another thought. I don't really like the contorted body look personally. I much more prefer a closer crop. What I use to do for my projects, get the shot set up and framed the way I wanted and then take another 4-5 steps closer or zoom in even more. I like body shots when you can barely tell your looking at a foot, arm of breast. But if you look long enough you will figure it out.

Good luck with the project and keep us up to date on it please!

-Collin

Ha, I know exactly what you mean! She (my professor) keeps giving me photographers to look at, and honestly, I don't see what's so great about them. Also, I get what you mean about not knowing what you're looking at immediately, but I haven't been able to do so yet. I thought I did on my last rolls but half of the shots came out too black because the bulb I was using for lighting broke...so I'll have to reshoot tomorrow. But I'm focusing on hands, fingers, toes, feet, ankle, calves, and wrists. :lol:

ya I used drop lights with reflectors in all of the shots I did for my class. Worke dout just fine and you can always adjust with filters on the enlarger and such. Plus it being black and white also makes it easier.

Agreed that I don't really care for the contorted body look. I really like Ralph Gibson's work and the notion of isolating body parts and "deconstructing" the human form. I'm working with a similar subject and finding just how hard the nude can be (no pun intended).

I also prefer the stark background to a crumpled appearance. I think the crumpled or textured background has to be used very carefully or it detracts attention from the subject.

Just a few points. In my last roll I wanted to use natural lights and hard shadows. I found that to truly integrate the shadows you have to be extremely meticulous with composition or else the image looks sloppy or haphazard. Ralph Gibson is a master. Check out his work for effective use of shadows and the nude. I also really like Marc Koegel's nude work.

I only have a few minutes, so I'll give my .02 on a couple of your shots.

#1 I don't really care for the centered vertical subject. The sidelighting isn't very flattering for the subjects skin texture. I think in this case the crumpled sheets detract from the subject and they appear OOF, particularly to the left side. I like a soft look but the OOF sheets to left appear haphazard to me.

#2 Again I don't care for a centered vertical subject. For me, the contorted nude should capture and exploit the sensuous lines of the human form and that's hard to do with a hard vertical.

#3 See above for my feelings about the hard vertical. The near arm immediately draws my attention. It is lighter and the soft focus doesn't add anything. It isn't a very flattering view of her arm and because of it's prominence it keeps drawing my eye back. The sheets in the background are distracting.

#5 I don't like the crop and the busy pattern of the sheets is distracting.

#9 is my favorite but I don't like the crop at the bottom. I'd like to see a little more separation between her leg and the background toward the right side of the image.

I'm finding that particularly in the nude studies the photographer has to be extremely meticulous about every detail within the frame. Backgrounds, sheets, shadows, wrinkles in the underwear, etc etc. The devil is in the detail. I was talking to my teacher about this very thing and he said that this attention to MINUTE detail is what separates the Gibsons and Westons from all the other hacks.

Hope all that helps.

Keep at it!

Idk if you read the description of the set, but anyways, I actually don't like Body I, III, IV, and not much of VI. Also, these are not beauty shots, so if the skin's true nature is revealed, that's fine. Another thing, I don't know if you read wrong but it wasn't my idea to do 'contortion', it was, however, what my classmates "wanted to see". I like doing some minor twists to show muscles beneath the skin, but that's about it.
It didn't start out as a nude project but I guess has evolved into it, and for my final portfolio I shall reshoot the compositions I feel need work, whether to make them nudes or for compositional reasons. For example, bodies II & V, I will definitely do over. :) My favorites are IX, X, & XI! Thank you for your insight and feedback! Everyone. :) Tomorrow, like I said, I'll be shooting one more roll, I have two new prints that I will bring home as well, and scan and show you guys soon!:thumbup:

Also, SoonerBJJ, it's kind of embarassing but I blocked you on Flickr cuz I thought you were a creeper.:blushing::lmao: But I see you're not, so I'll unblock. Lol.:blushing::blushing::blushing:

Last edited:
ya I used drop lights with reflectors in all of the shots I did for my class. Worke dout just fine and you can always adjust with filters on the enlarger and such. Plus it being black and white also makes it easier.
Yeah, I definitely already use the filters. :p

Hi Sbuxo, I don't shoot or judge nudes really so take this at face value. What interests me in photographing any portion of the human body is the interplay between light and shadow filtered by the body itself. It's this filtering that brings out 'persona' to my thinking.

All of your shots are technically acceptable but none really show a joy of the interplay of light and shadow hence your subjects seem more objects than people.

So, shoot two rolls instead of one and use one of them to play with the light. :)

Good luck

mike

Hi Sbuxo, I don't shoot or judge nudes really so take this at face value. What interests me in photographing any portion of the human body is the interplay between light and shadow filtered by the body itself. It's this filtering that brings out 'persona' to my thinking.

All of your shots are technically acceptable but none really show a joy of the interplay of light and shadow hence your subjects seem more objects than people.

So, shoot two rolls instead of one and use one of them to play with the light. :)

Good luck

Act

mike
Actually, I shoot 2 rolls of 36 exp. each. :mrgreen:

I tend to agree with Mike E. They are technically acceptable, but they also seem lacking or maybe unfinished. The lighting is sometimes dramatic, but not in all of them.
I think the parts that bothers me most are the bright wall behind the model and the wrinkly bed sheets etc. They seem to be distracting elements, rather than simply unobtrusive background elements.
Maybe getting closer, zooming, cropping etc. would help.

I agree with the mike's. The lighting is great.

I checked out your flickr and added you. Really like your people shots and i love the b&w of the bulldog :D. And you took them with the point and shoot. They look great.

I'll be taking b&w photography next semester. Hopefully my teacher wont be so picky lol.

Good Job
-Gian

Here is a very interesting site you may want to browse for lots of nudes as well as many other subjects done in B&W.... you may find some inspiration as well as great ideas for lighting your subjects....

B&W Forum

Nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back