The Buachaille

Oh that's a belter of a shot mate. I particularly like the way the clouds are threating to envelop the Buachaille and the seperation you've got between the clouds and the snow.

That exact point has been playing on my mind after that trip, Colin pointed it out in my shots when we were there too. I'll need to do a bit of experimenting to see what I prefer. But given mountains are all about scale and that relationship in the landscape it does make sense. Your observation about the clouds is interesting, I've never noticed it before but I'll be on the lookout for it now. Thanks for the input, i really do appreciate it, I'm always open to different or new ideas though sometimes they need a bit of time to percolate in my head.

It's grand though, I've been on a couple of workshops in the last year and I do think I'm a better photographer than I was even 6 months ago. I'm much happier with the shots I'm getting lately. Still a fair bit to go yet but things are starting to come together.

And aye, we seem to share some some of the same haunts and a liking for good whiskey as well. my only conclusion is that we must have impecable taste!

I would agree with you, your postings are complete and well balanced images. And I don't mean to say that I'm a better man to judge, as with your OP it inspires and I wish I'd seen it! :):)

As for the shot of mine, it was an extremely wild sort of day with frequent snow squalls, 5 mins before and you couldn't see the Buachaille.

Separation is not by tone alone. Clouds reflect light in a different way to snow on a mountain, the whole transition between light and dark, the gradation, and acutance is different. This is the separation as the two surfaces are showing much the same tonal variation in grey, it's just the transitions between tones that is different. The trick is recognising it and preserving it. Though I've never met him I admire Mr Priors work, (I'm not worthy entitled to call him Colin ;)), and I think he's a great advocate of 'getting it right in the camera' so you don't have to apply those global 'corrections' that equalise values and flatten images.

We've all a fair way to go in our photography, but fortunately in The Glen not so far for a decent wee dram, and there's normally an excellent pint of Fraock to be had at The Clachaig. :):)

Looking forward to some more of your images.

I've heard from an excellent photographer that lives in Cumbria but often shoots around Glen Coe that the Clachaig isn't what it was, and that the Kingshouse is to be rebuilt...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back