The Business of Photography ~~

I'm so glad it helped! :hug:: Makes me feel better...lol.. I haven't got a very good response to this thread. :meh: Most tpf'ers are not very interested in the business side it seems. I understand tho, cause I'd rather take pics too! :sexywink:

b

My freelance work is primarily interiors/still life. I have around 10 clients that keep me super busy in the summer. My real job is photography and production with the paper.

In the past couple of months I have been busy enough to think of going full time with the biz. Soon I will hand out a 4x6 card. I think a website is a must, but for some reason I am unmotivated in that department. All in all I am between a rock and a hard place. Just have to make that last step.

As far as suggestions go I think John nailed it on the head. Built what I have so far due to making sure that everyone is clear on the work that will be provided. Sounds simple enough, but I have heard a lot of horror stories. I like to think that photography is particular in that "dazling them with b.s" only goes so far. Mainly it is the work that counts.

I will post my card in the crit gallery.

bethany138 said:
I'm so glad it helped! :hug:: Makes me feel better...lol.. I haven't got a very good response to this thread. :meh: Most tpf'ers are not very interested in the business side it seems. I understand tho, cause I'd rather take pics too! :sexywink:

b

I was happy when you made the thread because I am extremely interested in discussing the business side of photography...but not a lot of other people are I guess :meh:

What if we had a sticky of the week? I think maybe if there was a specific topic to discuss it would get more replies. At the moment I am too tired to effectively write a coherent thought but I will try tomorrow :D I really do think this is a great idea, and I know I could learn a ton from the resources here.

I just got a side job (2 mornings) to be the photographer for my son's daycare. Once a year they take the kids pics and have packages for the parents to buy. It's right before Thanksgiving so the parents can hand them out for Christmas, and each year they have a theme. I thought it'd be cute this year to do a pajama day. Just think- how cute kids are in their pjs and yet we seldom get pics of them in them! :) So anyway, all this to say, I'm staeling the sticky tape idea because I'm sure not all the kids will be angels. I'm just now coming up with a logo, business cards, and other marketing materials. I don't know that I have any tips that haven't already been shared. One that I do with my son (18 months) is get him laughing and then shoot the picture right as he lets out that last giggle. Always captures the perfect smile without his squinty laughing eyes. Course, I also know the kid so that probably helps. My question for packages- should I make up packages or I was thinking maybe just to let the parents order by sheets 2 5x7, 8 wallets, etc. And just charge by how many sheets. Thoughts?

I don't know how to put the contract I use online, but anyone who would like mine e-mailed to them, please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected].
What I like about the contract is that I can actually fill it out at meetings with clients. It's three pages long, and covers pretty much everything....things like...."I gotta eat", "you can't take 2 years to pick your photos", and the blessed, "If I have to shoot at the back of the cathedral with no flash, don't expect close ups from the front"......only it's worded much more professionally. LOL.

Most reactions

Back