The Business of Photography ~~

This is the wedding contract I use - you can just do edit, replace, and replace Bethany Gilbert with your name, and enter prices, etc.

http://www.savefile.com/files/4282161

Go there and click download - No bugs... YEAH McAfee!

Now - Its your turn.. post a good advertising tip or a form you use!

Although I just got started in late October of last year, I've found that my best advertising opportunities have been free. Things like Craigslist and word of mouth have gotten me so much more work than print advertising. Does anyone else have suggestions for getting the word out about your business? I just did my first auction this past weekend and I have two more coming up, but we'll see if I get any work from it. (A lot of people took my business cards so I guess that's a good thing:)

bantor said:
No dice, it doesn't want to work for me for some reason

You have to enable pop ups from that site, click the orange download button on the bottom right. Then it works. After you've closed the annoying other popup windows! ;)

Rob

Bethany and others,

To make things easier, I've taken the liberty of putting the contract on my site (if this is a problem, I'll be happy to remove it).

You can get it HERE

I'd say a good bit of advice is to justify your cost. If you're just starting out, don't think you can charge $3000 a wedding, because odds are it isn't going ot happen. Similarly, if you raise prices from one season to another, I tell people why. For example: http://www.whitesharkphoto.com/2007_changes.htm

I'm definitely of the mind to be as open and honest with people as possible. I lay out all of their options and then let them decide.

Our prices are really pretty reasonable, but I think it's the way we approach clients and the way we approach the business that keep us busy. I've only met with two clients in the past year that did not book us. Our business has grown by about 300% in the past year. So we must be doing something right. ;)

Also, a contract is key. Thankfully, we've never had any issues where we've needed to fall back on the legality thing, but it's there as a safety net. Even if you're photographing for family or friends, get a contract.

Our own wedding photographer was a family friend, and we didn't bother with a contract. Boy I wish we had, as she royally fracked up the whole thing (was late, destroyed an entire roll of portraits, had ****-poor equipment, shafted us into way overcharging for prints, etc.) and we had no legal recourse to recoup any of our loss.

Oook.. I know you people have some tips! Here are some possible ideas you could comment on:

Packaging of Finished Prints
Helpful Books You Have Read
Phone VS Email when dealing with potential clients
Website - Necessary or Not
Ok.. Now you have no excuse!! lol.

Wow what a great thread!

I have no experience in this whatsoever, but I think that having a website would be pretty much vital!

Not only for your customer to view your portfolio/find out how to contact you etc., but it's an easy way for people to tell your friends about you.. For example if you photograph someones wedding, and one of the brides friends say your photos were good, who took them.. she could simply tell her friend the URL to your site!

Much easier than looking for a phone number and some people might prefer to find out about you and your photos before rushing into speaking with you!

bethany138 said:
This is the wedding contract I use - you can just do edit, replace, and replace Bethany Gilbert with your name, and enter prices, etc.

http://www.savefile.com/files/4282161

Go there and click download - No bugs... YEAH McAfee!

Now - Its your turn.. post a good advertising tip or a form you use!

Hey THANKS SOOOO MUCH!! I Have been doing weddings for years with different studios but this year is the first year i'm going off on my own and I really needed some direction with my wedding contract. Such a great help! thanks!

n---->:wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back