the business room for men

There is a lot to this one. I’m wondering how it would do in greyscale. No matter..you may loose too much in the trade off. I assume you shot this quickly so as not to draw attention, but I think you nailed it. I really think this is a serious image, and good job for seeing this in that moment. I’ve come back to this image a few times, now.
However, if I could have 3 things in life...1) a little more space behind the man in the blue shirt 2) the top section of the vertical pillar 3) the top part of that hat on the wall (or whatever it is).
Thanks for posting this image...it was real treat to study tonight

This was actually shot with the camera at my waist. This was a marketplace in a small town inland and, just as our guide told us, these are very conservative Muslims and they get quite angry if you take their picture. The presence of women ie quite rare in this market also.
Traditionally, females do not go in this room and when Paula da Silva entered to find us, there were many harsh looks.
So, except for photographing the musician shown in another posted shot, who happily accepted money to be photographed, I was loathe even to lift my camera.
I took what I could get.

The Islamic resistance to the representation of living beings ultimately stems from the belief that the creation of living forms is unique to God, and it is for this reason that the role of images and image makers has been controversial. The strongest statements on the subject of figural depiction are made in the Hadith (Traditions of the Prophet), where painters are challenged to “breathe life” into their creations and threatened with punishment on the Day of Judgment. The
Qur’an
is less specific but condemns idolatry and uses the Arabic term musawwir (“maker of forms,” or artist) as an epithet for God. Partially as a result of this religious sentiment, figures in painting were often stylized and, in some cases, the destruction of figurative artworks occurred.
Iconoclasm
was previously known in the

Byzantine period
and aniconism was a feature of the
Judaic world
, thus placing the Islamic objection to figurative representations within a larger context.

There is a lot to this one. I’m wondering how it would do in greyscale. No matter..you may loose too much in the trade off. I assume you shot this quickly so as not to draw attention, but I think you nailed it. I really think this is a serious image, and good job for seeing this in that moment. I’ve come back to this image a few times, now.
However, if I could have 3 things in life...1) a little more space behind the man in the blue shirt 2) the top section of the vertical pillar 3) the top part of that hat on the wall (or whatever it is).
Thanks for posting this image...it was real treat to study tonight

I forgot to thank Charlie76 for his comment and, not knowing if an edit would cause him to get the notification of my thank-you, I am burning 1s and 0s to do so.

Thanks, Charlie

Lot going on there and very interesting scene, but some things about this particular capture are throwing me. Guy on left feels too tight to the frame, not sure if the white of the wall and "counter" are contributing so much as distracting, low angle may not be helping the image (hard to say).

Lot going on there and very interesting scene, but some things about this particular capture are throwing me. Guy on left feels too tight to the frame, not sure if the white of the wall and "counter" are contributing so much as distracting, low angle may not be helping the image (hard to say).

This was actually shot with the camera at my waist. This was a marketplace in a small town inland and, just as our guide told us, these are very conservative Muslims and they get quite angry if you take their picture. The presence of women ie quite rare in this market also.
Traditionally, females do not go in this room and when Paula da Silva entered to find us, there were many harsh looks.
So, except for photographing the musician shown in another posted shot, who happily accepted money to be photographed, I was loathe even to lift my camera.
I took what I could get.

l

I took what I could get.

The Islamic resistance to the representation of living beings ultimately stems from the belief that the creation of living forms is unique to God, and it is for this reason that the role of images and image makers has been controversial. The strongest statements on the subject of figural depiction are made in the Hadith (Traditions of the Prophet), where painters are challenged to “breathe life” into their creations and threatened with punishment on the Day of Judgment. The
Qur’an
is less specific but condemns idolatry and uses the Arabic term musawwir (“maker of forms,” or artist) as an epithet for God. Partially as a result of this religious sentiment, figures in painting were often stylized and, in some cases, the destruction of figurative artworks occurred.
Iconoclasm
was previously known in the

Byzantine period
and aniconism was a feature of the
Judaic world
, thus placing the Islamic objection to figurative representations within a larger context.

That makes all the sense in the world. Very interesting, too. Thanks for sharing. You're always a fascinating dude. :)

Most reactions

Back