The camera I might be getting...

mojoses

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Can some of you take a look at this and tell me if it would be any good for my first camera!?

:?

Its a FujifilmA607...

here's a pic:
168691_01_small.jpg

It's got:

3.1 million pixel effective
6 million pixel output
PictBridge enabled
3x optical zoom
16mb XD memory card
1.6x digital zoom
Movie mode facility
1.5" TFT screen
XD Memory Type
Continous shooting mode

Picture Resolution: 3.1 million pixels
Optical Zoom: 3 times magnification
Motion picture recording Yes
LCD Screen Size: 1.5 inches
Size of Memory Card Included: 16 mb
LCD Screen: Yes
Memory Card: 16 mb
Memory Type: XD
Aperture/Shutter priority: Not Specified
Continous shooting mode: Yes
USB Connection: Yes
Video Output: Yes
Digital Zoom: 2 times magnification
Resolution Settings: 4
View Finder Real Image: Optical
Manual Exposure: Yes
Manual Focus: Not Specified
Image modes: Not Specified
Manual ISO overrides: Not Specified
Multi mode flash: Yes
Exposure compensation: Yes
Self timer: Yes
External flash terminal: Not Specified
Picture Effects: Not Specified
Camera Weight: 150 g
Body Colour: SILVER / BLUE
Metal body: Not Specified
Battery Supplied: Yes
Type of Battery Included: 2 X AA
Wrist Strap Supplied: Yes
Case Supplied: Not Specified
Software Supplied: No
SLR Optical Zoom: Not Specified
Auto/Manual exposure: Yes
Battery life (up to): Not Specified
Connection Type: USB

It's a lot of stuff but some of it I don't understand so I need a bit of help!!

was £249.89
was £149.00
save 60%
price £99.00

thankies

mojoses said:
Can some of you take a look at this and tell me if it would be any good for my first camera!?

I need more info about the photographer than the camera to answer this question. :)

I can't find a great deal of information of it. Someone has said that is a 'limited edition' A340 from Canada and Europe. There's a link to a review of the A340 at the end of this post.

I can explain some of it for you.

3.1 million pixel effective - It will give you an image size of 3.1 after you have taken the picture. I'm not sure on the dimensions it'll give you, but it'll be around 2048 x 1536.

6 million pixel output - I think that refers to the size of the sensor. It's not all that important if it is. The physical dimensions can be, but at this price range not really. If that is what it means, that is. I wouldn't pay too much attention to this spec. It's there to make it look good.

PictBridge enabled - Not sure what that is. I think it means you can hook it up to a printer and print straight from the camera. Erm, don't quote me here please. :mrgreen:

3x optical zoom - The high end of the optical zoom (the glass lens) is three times greater than the widest setting. So it could be 38-114mm (film equivalent).

16mb XD memory card - It takes XD cards (a type of memory card, check amazon.co.uk for prices) and comes with a 16MB version. That'll give you around 10 images with this camera set to its highest quality.

1.6x digital zoom - The digital zoom crops the centre of the image and blows it up slightly. They call this a digital zoom because it's done with computer witchcraft. Because it gets blown up it loses some quality. Most people never bother using the digital zoom. It's more of a gimmick than useful feature.

Movie mode facility - It can record movies (about 26 seconds worth with that card).

1.5" TFT screen - The LCD on the back is a 1.5" Totally Flat Screen. Pretty much what you'd expect.

XD Memory Type - Done.

Continous shooting mode - You can continuously shoot photos. :mrgreen: About 3 a second with this camera until the card or camera buffer gets full.

Aperture/Shutter priority: Not Specified - You probably can't set the aperture of shutter speed. It'll be automatic.

USB Connection: Yes - You can plug the camera straight into the PC via the USB port.

Video Output: Yes - I assume this means you can plug it into your TV straight from the camera. That will allow you to view the photos and videos on TV.

Resolution Settings: 4 - You've got a choice for four size images. Biggest, Big, Medium and small.

View Finder Real Image: Optical - I guess that means you look through the lens when you look through the view finder. I wouldn't have expected that. It could also mean that the viewfinder image changes as you zoom. So you don't see exactly what the lens is seeing, but you're pretty close.

Manual Exposure: Yes - That could mean you can set the shutter and/or aperture (but I'd have expected them to have added that info earlier). Or it could mean to can turn up/down the brightness of the images before you take them.

Manual Focus: Not Specified - Probably means it is auto-focus only. I hate all this "Not Specified" rubbish. It really annoys me when sites do this.

Manual ISO overrides: Not Specified - You should be able to change the ISO just like you can with all other digitals. But it's that bloody Not Specified crap again.

Multi mode flash: Yes - Red-eye reduction, auto flash, forced flash, no flash etc.

Exposure compensation: Yes - Pretty much what I said for Manual Exposure. Except for the shutter/aperture part.

Type of Battery Included: 2 X AA - You may want to get yourself four high end (2300ish) NiMH rechargeables. They'll last longer than lots of normal AA's and because you've got four you can have two on charge and two in the camera.

All in all, it looks a good deal. Make sure it's a reputable site though. There are lots out there with deals that look too good to be true because they are. And I'd personally try to get some more reliable info on it. Check Fuji's site and possibly e-mail them to.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fuji_a340.html

ferny said:
PictBridge enabled - Not sure what that is. I think it means you can hook it up to a printer and print straight from the camera. Erm, don't quote me here please. :mrgreen:

yep, that's right... you can hook it right into a photo printer (not sure if it has to be a specific kind or brand or anything though) press a button on your camera, and it will print a picture directly from the camera to the printer.

Most reactions

Back