The Coffee House

2881de41dee428ba0f6ace6f0656af9c.jpg

Had a big weekend. Sort of. I did all kinds of crap on Saturday: took broken junk to the town dump, made two Goodwill runs, did a bunch of errands, and started in on my developing. I also have a big 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle of the Breakfast at Tiffany's movie poster and I finally started gluing that to some foam board. On Sunday, Buzz and I drove north to Hudson for some pizza and a bit of walking around. I got two new-to-me albums: The Sex Pistols live and the soundtrack to Shaft. I was disappointed in the second one because it's just the music - no vocals. No fun that way. But it was only $5, so you live and you learn. And sometimes you get the Shaft. :biglaugh:

Morning, hosers! (forgot that in the last message, such is my state this morning)

Hey, @JacaRanda I saw the notification that you liked a photo of mine so maybe you're still lurking about. I found where you could live if you ever move to Monaco! :D
20160726_102333.jpg

The wife chose Batman vs. Superman to watch this weekend from Redbox.

We were both tired, she fell asleep during it. I forced myself to stay awake. Did not enjoy that movie at all. Aside from the fact that it was a confusing, disorganized mess for the first 2 hours or so, it just made no sense to me whatsoever. I find it disappointing that companies are just throwing together whatever they can to make money.

Also, spoiler rant...

The monster that Lex Luthor created to end the world, daftly named "Doomsday", looked straight out of Lord of the Rings. I mean, it was created in a bubble/goo pod and had the same facial features.

Then the whole kryptonite spear thing? Seriously? If anything, they should have had Amy Adams throw it at the monster. I mean, Superman can't even bring it up from the depths of that pool of water without passing out, but he can somehow fly several hundred feet with it to strike Doomsday? Give me a break.

Also, why is Batman such a jerk? He started branding people so they get killed in prison? That doesn't sound like the batman I've grown to know over the years.

<sarcasm>
Next up in their queue: Hello Kitty meets the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to save the earth from cyborgs.
</sarcasm>

The best part of that movie was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, because he is the perfect person to play those sorts of roles.

Well, my summer is finally over. We made a mad dash to Maine yesterday -- my wife needed a certain beach to complete her summer. Left at 6AM and were home around 7AM. She is back to the work today.

I have another week, but I have lots of work to do, especially on the college teaching front. I'm teaching a new class this fall. I attended the training for the class when it was created, but haven't taught it in the 2 years since. I found out last week that they changed their basal texts for the course (being the most adjuncty of adjuncts, I was out of the loop), so I have this week to figure out what the hell I'm doing starting Monday. Of course, I'm counting on a Pearson rep to get me my copies of the books ASAP.

The wife chose Batman vs. Superman to watch this weekend from Redbox.

We were both tired, she fell asleep during it. I forced myself to stay awake. Did not enjoy that movie at all. Aside from the fact that it was a confusing, disorganized mess for the first 2 hours or so, it just made no sense to me whatsoever. I find it disappointing that companies are just throwing together whatever they can to make money.

Also, spoiler rant...

The monster that Lex Luthor created to end the world, daftly named "Doomsday", looked straight out of Lord of the Rings. I mean, it was created in a bubble/goo pod and had the same facial features.

Then the whole kryptonite spear thing? Seriously? If anything, they should have had Amy Adams throw it at the monster. I mean, Superman can't even bring it up from the depths of that pool of water without passing out, but he can somehow fly several hundred feet with it to strike Doomsday? Give me a break.

Also, why is Batman such a jerk? He started branding people so they get killed in prison? That doesn't sound like the batman I've grown to know over the years.

<sarcasm>
Next up in their queue: Hello Kitty meets the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to save the earth from cyborgs.
</sarcasm>

The best part of that movie was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, because he is the perfect person to play those sorts of roles.

Have you seen this? An open letter from Wonder Woman to Batman regarding the events of Batman v Superman

Warning to those who care: the article contains spoilers.

...KRYPTONITE.

We need to talk about what happened during our battle against Doomsday. As you may recall, when the going got rough, we found ourselves with one (1) hybrid supermonster, bred by Lex Luthor to be killable only with kryptonite, and one (1) spear made of the aforementioned space mineral, which is lethally crippling to Superman but just a glowy rock as far as I'm concerned.

And I guess it escaped your notice, Trumpy McBatface, but I’m an ACTUAL AMAZON. Check my résumé: I have spear experience. Enough experience to know, for instance, that spears are meant to be thrown. That is, in fact, one of the key selling points of spears: that you can use them as projectiles and thus avoid coming within a radius of your enemy that would allow him to, say, run you through the heart with one of his fearsome bone spikes. You know, if you happened to find yourself in a situation where that might be a concern.

So obviously the thing to do was … not even consider handing me the space weapon, and instead have Superman heroically sacrifice himself in order to take down the monster with his incompetent spearing technique. Great leadership and decision-making there. Really. Definitely makes me want to go into battle with you again."

Hey, @JacaRanda I saw the notification that you liked a photo of mine so maybe you're still lurking about. I found where you could live if you ever move to Monaco! :D
View attachment 126384
I am lurking and yes, Monaco seems like a wonderful destination for me. Calling to see if I can get dibs at that spot. [emoji8]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well, my summer is finally over. We made a mad dash to Maine yesterday -- my wife needed a certain beach to complete her summer. Left at 6AM and were home around 7AM. She is back to the work today.

I have another week, but I have lots of work to do, especially on the college teaching front. I'm teaching a new class this fall. I attended the training for the class when it was created, but haven't taught it in the 2 years since. I found out last week that they changed their basal texts for the course (being the most adjuncty of adjuncts, I was out of the loop), so I have this week to figure out what the hell I'm doing starting Monday. Of course, I'm counting on a Pearson rep to get me my copies of the books ASAP.

I highly approve of the mad dash to Maine. I'm a big fan of the mad dash, and, as you know, an even bigger fan of Maine. I totally understand the need for big water to soothe one's soul. :)

Good luck with prep! I am allowed to teach one class per semester now that I'm an official Cog, and that class starts in 2 weeks. I haven't done a thing yet. It's a class I've taught a million times and I just can't be bothered to think about it yet.

I highly approve of the mad dash to Maine. I'm a big fan of the mad dash, and, as you know, an even bigger fan of Maine. I totally understand the need for big water to soothe one's soul. :)

Good luck with prep! I am allowed to teach one class per semester now that I'm an official Cog, and that class starts in 2 weeks. I haven't done a thing yet. It's a class I've taught a million times and I just can't be bothered to think about it yet.

It was a nice day -- although the quiet, tucked away beach we love in shoulder season isn't quite as quiet on a beautiful Sunday in August. But that's alright.

Part of me wishes I was teaching the same comp class I've taught for the last few years because I can do it in my sleep. But...this class is 6 credits instead of 3 and pays twice as much, so it's worth putting the work in.

Most reactions

Back