What's new

The Coffee House

From what I've understood, smaller businesses (like our longtime camera shop that's now long gone) lose money on credit cards. They seem to be affected more with the fees that are more easily absorbed by large companies. That might have changed, I don't know.
 
Ugh. Had the sonogram on Friday, doctor's office called this evening. They can't tell what the mass is from the sonogram, so now I get to have my first MRI. The problem with that is, after 33 years, my size 12-1/2 wedding band is on a size 16, or so, finger.

Ice and olive oil only makes the pain a bit easier to handle. I'll either have to convince them that gold is not magnetic and therefore not a problem with the equipment, or I'll have to get the ring cut off.
 
Ugh. Had the sonogram on Friday, doctor's office called this evening. They can't tell what the mass is from the sonogram, so now I get to have my first MRI. The problem with that is, after 33 years, my size 12-1/2 wedding band is on a size 16, or so, finger.

Ice and olive oil only makes the pain a bit easier to handle. I'll either have to convince them that gold is not magnetic and therefore not a problem with the equipment, or I'll have to get the ring cut off.

Removing a Ring - How to remove a stuck ring
 
Ugh. Had the sonogram on Friday, doctor's office called this evening. They can't tell what the mass is from the sonogram, so now I get to have my first MRI. The problem with that is, after 33 years, my size 12-1/2 wedding band is on a size 16, or so, finger.

Ice and olive oil only makes the pain a bit easier to handle. I'll either have to convince them that gold is not magnetic and therefore not a problem with the equipment, or I'll have to get the ring cut off.

Sorry, sweetie :( :icon_hug:
 
Ugh. Had the sonogram on Friday, doctor's office called this evening. They can't tell what the mass is from the sonogram, so now I get to have my first MRI. The problem with that is, after 33 years, my size 12-1/2 wedding band is on a size 16, or so, finger.

Ice and olive oil only makes the pain a bit easier to handle. I'll either have to convince them that gold is not magnetic and therefore not a problem with the equipment, or I'll have to get the ring cut off.

Removing a Ring - How to remove a stuck ring
I'll try that tomorrow night. I'm not getting my paperwork until Thursday. Being part Italian, I have a preference for olive oil. :D
 
@vintagesnaps been many years since I've been on the paying end of credit card fees, but between interchange and card fees your running from 3-6% on fees. Course for that fee you get paid anywhere from 24-48 hours later. Whether you accept credit cards, checks, or extend credit there is a cost of doing business, which pretty much shake out to be equal. You could only accept cash, but doing so is going severely limit your sales. I've seen businesses fail, but they didn't fail because of credit card fees.
 
Braineack you got some nice pictures. I can see where your strength seems to be your photos like in the Savannah thread, those are beautifully done. The wedding shots that were set up like the table shots and the ones of the bridal party outdoors etc. were the best of what I looked at so far (even though you said you had challenges with posing I wouldn't have thought so).

I would say it looks like it would help to keep working on getting shots as things happen (getting ready, reception, etc.). Double check the framing, I see a number where there are distractions and cluttered backgrounds; check the corners and edges/sides of the photos. I think it would help you to get more practice in framing shots quickly and adjusting vantage point and getting clean compositions quickly as things are happening.

And - don't work for pennies!! lol I think people are just going to burn themselves out or keep running into problems (which I've seen happen elsewhere besides this site) and not be making enough to even be worth it and end up out of photography. You want to think about the reputation you're developing as a photographer and maybe don't jump too fast into doing weddings.

I think taking classes or going to camera clubs or whatever you can find to enable you to get in more practice could be worth it. Even going to community events where people can bring cameras can be a way to take pictures just for fun where you can think about what if you were photographing that event and how would you do it?

I wonder if your photographer friend hasn't provided an opportunity to second shoot if he/she can see you may not be quite ready just yet to be able to get all the necessary shots on your own. You have talent but maybe need to continue to develop skills with certain aspects; other skills you seem to already have. You got plenty of nice photos to be able to give the couple that they should like.
 
Charlie, what happened?? I must've missed that, sounds miserable. Hope you get taken care of soon.
 
I do frequently shop local. Local businesses and brick and mortar stores take credit cards as well as cash.
Sure, but that costs them and you more. Shopping on credit is hugely expensive to everyone but the major banks/credit companies. I can understand putting large purchases on credit... maybe. All of your so-called rewards are paid for by through the fees that the credit companies levy against the vendors, who in turn mark up their prices to account for it... Cash = win for everyone except the banks, and who cares about them!

If I pay cash it costs me the same as with credit. I understand your point but just about EVERYONE would have to be on board for that to "trickle down" to lower prices and I don't see that happening.


cash handling costs are higher than cards for the shop keepers. The bigger the shop the bigger the difference. Card companies charge bigger shops smaller percentages.

In the Netherlands I have paid in shops that do not allow chash
 
Last edited:
If they stop accepting cash it would mess Dave up something fierce.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
smaller shops tend to accept cash or cash only because it is easier to save taxes....
 
From what I've understood, smaller businesses (like our longtime camera shop that's now long gone) lose money on credit cards. They seem to be affected more with the fees that are more easily absorbed by large companies. That might have changed, I don't know.
The company I work for doesn't except credit cards. The owner wants nothing to do with the associated fees. Never been an issue but we are not a retail business either.
 
Ugh. Had the sonogram on Friday, doctor's office called this evening. They can't tell what the mass is from the sonogram, so now I get to have my first MRI. The problem with that is, after 33 years, my size 12-1/2 wedding band is on a size 16, or so, finger.

Ice and olive oil only makes the pain a bit easier to handle. I'll either have to convince them that gold is not magnetic and therefore not a problem with the equipment, or I'll have to get the ring cut off.
I'm believing for health here Charlie, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Speak and believe only health. Do not let others speak any negativity into your ear. Listen to doctors but think of health. If your a man of faith, trust in that.
 
The company I work for doesn't except credit cards. The owner wants nothing to do with the associated fees. Never been an issue but we are not a retail business either.

We did during our time as an Atlas Van Lines agent, but when we dumped them and went to our own authority we were business to business freight so credit cards were not an option. With our A/R average days to pay running around 40 days there were times initially when I would have gladly paid the CC fees to get the money in faster. It was several years before we built up enough cash reserves to carry our A/R without financing. The sad thing was, the bigger the business the slower they were to pay.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom