What's new

The Coffee House

Afternoon all, a very nice sleep last night and only a little bit of pain but still a damn sight better. We have had rain all day today and it`s been grey and dark. I have sent messages to Yahoo and Flickr asking for help about my account on both, still not one reply from either of them so have opened up another Flickr account. Sad really as I would of payed to go Pro on the other one, so can now wait till it gets just under a 1,000 then I might think about it.
 
Did one of you Hosers post in here recently about getting a new tv set up? Looking for recommendations on a new large screen (55-65" screen) and sound bar.
 
I had (and probably still have) a pretty good surround system when we lived in Houston.
Up here we have a 36" Tube T.V. with the sound turned up pretty load for Dad.

5 hours and apparently 41 minutes because yesterday was 5.50 and the overall is 11.31

Got a box of my favorite white machine wrapped pennies. About to have Tamales out of a can.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.
 
Did one of you Hosers post in here recently about getting a new tv set up? Looking for recommendations on a new large screen (55-65" screen) and sound bar.
I did!

Last year, we bought a 65" Sony. It was a really good price, but it's huge. Like, HUGE. Like, ridiculously huge. We hooked up our Sony surround sound to it, and while I loved the surround sound, the surround sound system was aging and it kept switching between various sound modes every now and then.

So, we just this past Sunday splurged on a Bose Solos 5 (I think) sound bar, but I actually don't really like it. I went for the name, LOL. I don't know if it's just because we're going from surround system to sound bar, or if it's the sound bar itself. The sound isn't as warm as I wanted it, and I don't know the correct terminology, but it just sounds shallow and no where near dynamic. It'd be great for a small room and if you don't have experience with a surround system. So, if you're going from TV speakers to sound bar, you'll love it. Otherwise, get a soundbar with a subwoofer or a surround sound system.
 
65" huge? I just replaced mine for a 75" and I still think it's small...
 
65" huge? I just replaced mine for a 75" and I still think it's small...
Meh. I have no need for such a large screen. I'd rather not have to turn my head to see either side of the screen. LOL
 
65" huge? I just replaced mine for a 75" and I still think it's small...
Meh. I have no need for such a large screen. I'd rather not have to turn my head to see either side of the screen. LOL
Geezzzzzzz.... I feel inadequate. My one television is a 30" unit, and that seems plenty large, if not a little too big at times.
 
Did one of you Hosers post in here recently about getting a new tv set up? Looking for recommendations on a new large screen (55-65" screen) and sound bar.

Before you settle on screen size consider the room size. How big a TV should I buy? makes for better viewing experience.
 
Did one of you Hosers post in here recently about getting a new tv set up? Looking for recommendations on a new large screen (55-65" screen) and sound bar.
I did!

Last year, we bought a 65" Sony. It was a really good price, but it's huge. Like, HUGE. Like, ridiculously huge. We hooked up our Sony surround sound to it, and while I loved the surround sound, the surround sound system was aging and it kept switching between various sound modes every now and then.

So, we just this past Sunday splurged on a Bose Solos 5 (I think) sound bar, but I actually don't really like it. I went for the name, LOL. I don't know if it's just because we're going from surround system to sound bar, or if it's the sound bar itself. The sound isn't as warm as I wanted it, and I don't know the correct terminology, but it just sounds shallow and no where near dynamic. It'd be great for a small room and if you don't have experience with a surround system. So, if you're going from TV speakers to sound bar, you'll love it. Otherwise, get a soundbar with a subwoofer or a surround sound system.

What model Sony did you get? I currently have a 47" in the space but there is room for more. The 57" width of the 65" screen might look a bit tight so was leaning toward a 55" but that hardly seems worth the upgrade. Current tv is a Sharp that I bought from Dell at a great price 10 years ago - have not had any issues with it but looking to upgrade to a 4K smart tv and size up a bit.

Have not had a soundbar before but I will be getting one. Probably not a Bose as I think anything will be an upgrade over the existing system.

65" huge? I just replaced mine for a 75" and I still think it's small...

It's a big room so a bigger screen would be nice but wall space is at a premium because it's an open floor plan and we have a very big fireplace to work around and a ton of windows on the other walls. I do not want to hang the tv over the fireplace. Just not a fan of that look.

65" huge? I just replaced mine for a 75" and I still think it's small...
Meh. I have no need for such a large screen. I'd rather not have to turn my head to see either side of the screen. LOL
Geezzzzzzz.... I feel inadequate. My one television is a 30" unit, and that seems plenty large, if not a little too big at times.

With my eyesight, a bigger tv is better. When I watch on the smaller bedroom tv, I can see it fine but can't read the on screen guide or closed captioning (which I use when the house is noisy with teenagers!).
 
65" huge? I just replaced mine for a 75" and I still think it's small...
Meh. I have no need for such a large screen. I'd rather not have to turn my head to see either side of the screen. LOL
Geezzzzzzz.... I feel inadequate. My one television is a 30" unit, and that seems plenty large, if not a little too big at times.
Yeah, I agree. In the store, the 65" didn't look that big, but when we got it home... Wow, it dwarfed the room.
 
What model Sony did you get? I currently have a 47" in the space but there is room for more. The 57" width of the 65" screen might look a bit tight so was leaning toward a 55" but that hardly seems worth the upgrade. Current tv is a Sharp that I bought from Dell at a great price 10 years ago - have not had any issues with it but looking to upgrade to a 4K smart tv and size up a bit.

Have not had a soundbar before but I will be getting one. Probably not a Bose as I think anything will be an upgrade over the existing system.
Not sure on model, but it is a smart, 4K TV. Love the smart TV and all the apps. We subscribe to a few different streaming services, and I can't say how awesome it is to be able to put on Sesame Street or the Wiggles for our little one to distract her when we need a few minutes.
 
Did one of you Hosers post in here recently about getting a new tv set up? Looking for recommendations on a new large screen (55-65" screen) and sound bar.

Before you settle on screen size consider the room size. How big a TV should I buy? makes for better viewing experience.
That's a good rule of thumb, but from a strictly viewing perspective. They do touch on decor, but it's buried deep in the article. If it's going to look bad in the room, I'd personally err on the smaller side.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom