What's new

The Coffee House

Anyone else watching Game of Thrones?

I wasn't happy with this second to last episode. I'm also not happy with how they're ending this series. I wish at least one of Dany's actions this season would have felt organic, but unfortunately, they all feel forced.
 
Yes I’m watching. I am happy with some of this season but not everything. I think they needed more episodes to make her transition from reason to madness seem more believable. The fewer but longer episode lay out this season doesn’t give them time to build to any of the character transformations. Ariya’s abrupt about face from fearless warrior bent on killing Cersei to frightened and running for her life is another example. They did lay it out but with it all happening within the episode it seems like such a stretch. I was happy with the way they ended the Cersei/Jamie storyline and with the overall story arc but again feels forced due to having it all shoved into such a short time span for us.
 
download.webp
 
Yes I’m watching. I am happy with some of this season but not everything. I think they needed more episodes to make her transition from reason to madness seem more believable. The fewer but longer episode lay out this season doesn’t give them time to build to any of the character transformations. Ariya’s abrupt about face from fearless warrior bent on killing Cersei to frightened and running for her life is another example. They did lay it out but with it all happening within the episode it seems like such a stretch. I was happy with the way they ended the Cersei/Jamie storyline and with the overall story arc but again feels forced due to having it all shoved into such a short time span for us.
I agree they're trying to wrap things up quickly, and I am happy with the season in general, but I'd question why they chose to do 6 episodes instead of the usual 10 if they needed more time to wrap it up.. and why they chose to have such long seemingly pointless scenes in this episode, such as the Cleganebowl, the numerous scenes of Dany on the dragon strafing through the city, or the Jaime/Euron fight, when they could have used that time for character development in other ways. Everything Dany does seems so incredibly forced...

Yeeeeah, Arya's whole about face was very frustrating. She's been on a mission to get to Cersei the entire series, and in a sentence or two the Hound can convince her to turn around when she's literally steps away from Cersei? Eeeeeeehhh...

And, I swear, if Euron comes back in the last episode, I'm going to be very mad. We never saw him die, and in GoT, if you don't see someone die, they probably didn't. IMO, he should have been done at the hands of Dany and her dragon, which would have been appropriate vengeance for Rhaegal's death. But instead, he finds his way to the beach at the same time as Jaime, where Jaime is stabbed twice in the side but is still able to walk around like normal to go find Cersei, and where Euron is stabbed in the chest but is still laying there talking to himself out loud...

And, I don't feel sorry for Tyrian. He's failed Dany so many times. She needs to off him.

I get that the show wants me to hate Dany, but they haven't delivered. It's frustrating. I'm still a Dany fan. LOL
 
Never have I ever watched Game of Thrones. Over in Cold Springs for propane.
Couldn't believe the buffer got through the whole store this morning.
Anyhow it's beginning to feel like Texas.
Out in the sun is not so nice.
Still ok in the shade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
Never have I ever Dave? Drink!

Dany and her quest for her lost birthright? If she thinks that just her birth entitles her to be queen of it all, then by those standards she should now bow to John but instead she is more interested in her quest than anointing the “rightful heir”. So she’s a bit of a power mad hypocrite who happens to have a dragon. If Jon had slept with her again (knowing she is his aunt) then all would have been ok? All she needs is a man? Give me a break. I don’t hate her but I have never been her biggest fan. I disagree with your take and think Tyrion was loyal to her but it was a mistake. For me, the story has always been about the Starks (including Jon). Maybe because the story opened with them?
 
Dany and her quest for her lost birthright? If she thinks that just her birth entitles her to be queen of it all, then by those standards she should now bow to John but instead she is more interested in her quest than anointing the “rightful heir”. So she’s a bit of a power mad hypocrite who happens to have a dragon. If Jon had slept with her again (knowing she is his aunt) then all would have been ok? All she needs is a man? Give me a break. I don’t hate her but I have never been her biggest fan. I disagree with your take and think Tyrion was loyal to her but it was a mistake. For me, the story has always been about the Starks (including Jon). Maybe because the story opened with them?
What I'm saying is that I wish the change from good Dany to bad Dany was more organic. IMO, they should have started that change several seasons ago rather than waiting for the last season.

Tyrion was pretty loyal to Dany (and gave her good advice) until this season. He freed Jaime to go to Cersei to try to escape. He told Varys about Jon being the rightful heir. If he was loyal to her, he would have tried to see her succeed rather than betray her, and he would have kept his mouth shut about Jon. He says to Varys that he needed to pick someone (Dany) and stand by them while simultaneously giving Varys information that would help the opposing side? That's hard to swallow. I always liked how Tyrion was clever and his plans made sense in the long run. They don't have the long run here, so I feel like they've made everything so abbreviated that it makes the characters play dumb.

What makes me mad about the show, is that we liked Dany for seven seasons; she was the "Breaker of Chains". She was methodical and always learned. And now, all of a sudden, she's acting irrational and we're supposed to hate her.

I get that we're supposed to see her as the Mad Queen, but why is it that she has to be the "Mad Queen" when Jon isn't poised to be the "Mad King". Because she's a she and he's a he? He's lost as much as she has... But, according to Tormund, who else could have climbed on a dragon like Jon did... oh wait, yeah, Dany, who born the dragon eggs in fire...

For Dany, there was just such a stark difference between season 7 and season 8. Yes, sorry for that pun. :P
 
@waday - have you read the books? Just curious as, though it was some time ago, I seem to recall a lot of Danerys internal struggles about whether or not she and her dragons were monsters? Her fear of being alone and unloved? Her envy and paranoia about the way the northerners were embracing Jon was similar to how her brother lost it when the Dothraki decided she was one of them and he was the one left out. And in the books there was a lot more back story about her family's habit of turning mad and paranoid - seeing betrayers everywhere and of course the infamous "burn them all" story that is mentioned in the series and elaborated on in the books. I do agree it could have been handled better by HBO - if this is even what Martin intended for the final book... Think of the people who named their babies Khaleesi and the people who got dragon tattoos. Note to self - don’t get the tattoo until the last book is out.
 
X rays confirmed no leakage, last of the tubes out, incisions healing nicely and pathology report confirmed they got all the cancer. No followup radiation for this guy. Pretty much released to do what I feel like, just no heavy lifting. Think I hear the beach or the mountains calling me to come recuperate.
 
@SquarePeg , I have not read the books, but they're on my "to read at some point" list (along with the LOTR series). I'm strictly speaking about the show.

I totally get that there's backstory to where she's going and why she's getting there. I'm not saying that there's not a backstory, so I hope that's coming across in my responses?

We get some of that backstory and some feeling of Dany being alone (Jorah and Missendei are gone), and definitely the parallels with her brother and the Dothraki. But, IMO, the entire backstory does not come across in the show, and the viewer is left to figure things out* this season. I guess that's what happens when the show finishes before the books and needs to end abruptly.

I think that Martin did have a hand in finishing the series? To what extent, we'll probably never know...

I tend to be one of those people that hates movies based on books, because the movie usually never does the book justice. So, I understand where you're coming from if you're comparing the show to books. The problem that I'm trying to convey is that this backstory is not making it into this season, where they've been forced to end it all very abruptly. To me, it's a bit messy with dots that aren't always connected logically; the connections are forced by the plot.

*The wife and I watched "The Wandering Earth" on Friday night. We watched it as if it was a comedy, because it was unwatchable otherwise. It was 1,000 times worse than this episode. Things would happen without you knowing why, and it jumped around like crazy. I get that it was a mega Chinese hit, but I'd classify it as a D-rated sci-fi movie that premiers on Syfy channel without much fanfare. If the viewer can't connect the dots (or is forced to make huge assumptions), the writers didn't do their job.

<<<<SPOILER within a SPOILER>>>> They're going to fly Earth (yes, the entire planet) to a solar system 4.2 light years away within 2,500 years (uh, what now?), and they have problems passing Jupiter. Who thought of this plan and forgot to account for Jupiter? Yikes. Almost as bad as sharks in tornadoes...

If I had to rate this season of GoT, I'd probably rate it in the B to C range, which is a shame.
 
Morning all, sunny start here so had a lovely walk in the park with Susie.
 
Anyone else watching Game of Thrones?

I wasn't happy with this second to last episode. I'm also not happy with how they're ending this series. I wish at least one of Dany's actions this season would have felt organic, but unfortunately, they all feel forced.

Watched it since Series 1, but no longer care who sits on the Iron Throne and got bored part way through last two and was editing photos while it was on. Too much petty infighting, it's getting like a Thai 'lakorn' soap opera but with boobies.

Agree that the actions of the Mother of not many Dragons Now are looking illogical and forced - it's as contrived as Batman vs Superman.
 
Watched it since Series 1, but no longer care who sits on the Iron Throne and got bored part way through last two and was editing photos while it was on. Too much petty infighting, it's getting like a Thai 'lakorn' soap opera but with boobies.

Agree that the actions of the Mother of not many Dragons Now are looking illogical and forced - it's as contrived as Batman vs Superman.
When my wife and I started watching it, we watched the first few seasons and stopped. I think it was probably the same reason, we got kinda bored... but then we came back to it. I'm really glad we did.

As much as I complain about it, I'm doing it out of love, because I really do love the show. :) I may not be as happy with this season, or how it's ending, but I'm also sad that it's ending, haha.

The nudity has decreased quite a bit in the latter half of the series.
 
You GOT people are so annoying. Only one more week of having to avoid social media for two full days each week. I'll be so thankful.

We need to talk about important things. Like sensor size and ISO and whatever.


Also -- it was great to meet @snowbear this weekend. Unfortunately, he caught me at a busy/under-staffed time. Hopefully, I'll be able to grab a beer with him next time.
 
ou GOT people are so annoying. Only one more week of having to avoid social media for two full days each week. I'll be so thankful.
Hey! We kept our discussions in spoiler posts, thank you very much! :) I understand though, this is pretty much how I feel when people start talking about baseball, football, basketball, etc. for 3/4 of the year. You learn to deal with it by simply ignoring it.

We need to talk about important things. Like sensor size and ISO and whatever.
This is the Coffee House, yo! We don't talk about nonsense like sensor size, ISO, and photography in here!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom