The Coffee House

Fingers crossed, hon

MLW fell in the yard again. There's some kind of pipe end sticking up and she tripped on it tonight. She bashed up her knee and cut her hand open.

Tomorrow's project it to take a hand sledge to the darned thing and eliminate it. It's in the right-of-way but I don't have any hope that the County will do anything.

Be careful out there bear! You guys are on a tear with home improvement this past year - don’t forget to take the time to enjoy your progress!

Hi everyone hope you all had a good New Year, mine was pretty wild as on December 30th I was rushed to hospital after having a big heart attack then had to be put in ICU because I caught the Flu, nearly died a couple of times. Now back home resting and will be starting a rehab in about 4 weeks to help me get up and about again.
Sorry to hear of your hospital stay. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Yikes! Glad you’re still with us. Get well and stay healthy.

Sorry to hear of your hospital stay. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Thank you ladies, I had totally forgot to say in here once I got home last week but have just been taking things easy. Have managed to get a walking stick that I really like that folds up and have walked down three big stairs here so my next one is the main stairs of about ten.

Last edited:
Take it easy @Fujidave. It sounds like that walking stick is what some flyfishers use to break the current od streams; hope it works for you.

It's raining again, so I'll worry about the pipe tomorrow, or the weekend. Plumber is scheduled to show up tomorrow to do the preliminary peek for the new toilet, then schedule an install date, likely in a few days. The electrician will be here next week to figure out the new outlets for the stove and clothes dryer, the replacement for the outlets in my office area and behind the bar, and relocating the one over the fireplace.

MLW want to go ahead and get the rest of the wood for the mantle, so maybe we'll take a road trip this weekend, if the weather is nice.

Be careful out there bear! You guys are on a tear with home improvement this past year - don’t forget to take the time to enjoy your progress!
I'm just getting started! As soon as the corner of the "big room" in the basement is cleared, the saws and lathe go up and I can have some fun. I have a couple shelves to make for one of the bear cabinets, a nice cutting board to make for the new kitchen, and a pizza cutter and pen to turn for MLW. I also have a length of juniper to cut down to size that will end up as practice for turning bowls.

....one of the bear cabinets?! What are those going to look like?

I really enjoy reading your progress (hope she's better soon!) but I must say, you make me feel tired. :lol:
Here they are. The shelves are for #2. We think they got left on the truck during the move. I have some old pine, for now, but will pick up some mahogany when I get a chance. The flags are where polars are indigenous - I still need a Greenland flag.

Thanks. She'll get there; it might take a few days.

Last edited:
That sounds so cool!! It must feel like a history tour looking at that old lumber. What are you going to do with that 14' piece?

I don't know if Mr James is still around, this was 14 yrs ago.But he could tell you everything about every stack of lumber they had. He had some hand hewed oak 24"x 36"x 70' long. Beautiful purple colored wood that came from a mushroom growing facility. When we were there they had just received the first of several loads of salvage from a ship that had sunk off the Washington coast 100 years prior.

The heart pine piece we bought ended as the mantle for our fireplace. It was to big for my planer. Took several days of hand work to get it smooth. Finished with multiple coats of Briwax.

When we went to get the mantle wood, I was looking at one of the pears, a nice light wood. I was outvoted by MLW and SIL so we got cocobolo.

When we went to get the mantle wood, I was looking at one of the pears, a nice light wood. I was outvoted by MLW and SIL so we got cocobolo.

It's a beautiful wood when finished. However the high oil content and workability issues make it a little on the difficult side. The big no for me is it highly allergenic. I can't be deal with the dust even though I have a central dust collector in the shop.

Thought the group might enjoy this. Berry College isn't far frome us in Rome, GA. I've spent way to much time watching the Eagle Cam. Berry College Eagles Nest Cam 2

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back