The Coffee House

Hey hosers.

Wish me luck, I'm up for tenure this year. Just turning in my portfolio this week and will hear probably in a couple of months.

In other news, I'm creaky and old. My knees hurt, and I'm finally admitting that I need to see a doctor about the plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I very much need to start walking again for exercise but my foot makes it almost impossible. A few weeks ago, I took a walk and covered about 1.5-2 miles. Not much at all. Had my Blundstones on, which have got some kind of magic Tasmanian juju because my feet always feel good. Could feel the left foot kind of getting tired but it's been a lot worse. The next day, though? I could barely walk at all. So yeah, if I want to start doing some serious walking and not just around the block once, then I have to fix my foot. :(
Had that flare up many many years ago (25?) when I used to wear crazy heels and tiny sandals with no support! I was able to get rid of it doing exercises. Super helpful was the one where you stand on the edge of a step and raise and lower yourself to stretch out your arch. Also wore only supportive shoes for about 6 months. It never came back although I've felt the occasional twinge if I spend too much time barefoot. I've added the stretches back into my routine on and off throughout the years. I hope you are as lucky to get rid of it as easily.

Had that flare up many many years ago (25?) when I used to wear crazy heels and tiny sandals with no support! I was able to get rid of it doing exercises. Super helpful was the one where you stand on the edge of a step and raise and lower yourself to stretch out your arch. Also wore only supportive shoes for about 6 months. It never came back although I've felt the occasional twinge if I spend too much time barefoot. I've added the stretches back into my routine on and off throughout the years. I hope you are as lucky to get rid of it as easily.

I haven't been as consistent with the stretching exercises, but I've been wearing a contraption at night that keeps my foot flexed, I have new shoes with better arch support and Superfeet inserts for my existing shoes (I haven't worn heels in years). I also bought those little sleeves that go around your foot with little pads to provide arch support. But it's been a year and it doesn't get worse but it never gets better, either, so I think it's time to check with a podiatrist.

Hopefully I can start walking again soon and turn my attention to getting my knees to feel better! This past week was super stressful and I think it triggered an autoimmune flare-up and the inflammation means my joints are just super achy. My right knee especially is bad right now. I've been taking collagen and that has been helping a lot, but flare-ups throw everything out the door.

Good luck on the tenure. :encouragement:

Sorry about the pf. We both have Neuropathy which doesn't hurt so much as tingle an burn.

I haven't been as consistent with the stretching exercises, but I've been wearing a contraption at night that keeps my foot flexed, I have new shoes with better arch support and Superfeet inserts for my existing shoes (I haven't worn heels in years). I also bought those little sleeves that go around your foot with little pads to provide arch support. But it's been a year and it doesn't get worse but it never gets better, either, so I think it's time to check with a podiatrist.

Hopefully I can start walking again soon and turn my attention to getting my knees to feel better! This past week was super stressful and I think it triggered an autoimmune flare-up and the inflammation means my joints are just super achy. My right knee especially is bad right now. I've been taking collagen and that has been helping a lot, but flare-ups throw everything out the door.
Leo, have you looked at knee sleeves? They come in various levels of support. I have 3 pairs, from fairly lightweight and stretchy, to very stiff ones that help me when I have to be on my feet a lot. They can be incredible.

Leo, have you looked at knee sleeves? They come in various levels of support. I have 3 pairs, from fairly lightweight and stretchy, to very stiff ones that help me when I have to be on my feet a lot. They can be incredible.

I was actually going to do some searching for them today. I have a bunch of support products and couldn't remember if I already had a knee one. As it turns out, I've got ankle braces, wrist braces, and an elbow sleeve but no knee! But I will definitely be looking into them. Thanks!

Hey hosers.

Wish me luck, I'm up for tenure this year. Just turning in my portfolio this week and will hear probably in a couple of months.

In other news, I'm creaky and old. My knees hurt, and I'm finally admitting that I need to see a doctor about the plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I very much need to start walking again for exercise but my foot makes it almost impossible. A few weeks ago, I took a walk and covered about 1.5-2 miles. Not much at all. Had my Blundstones on, which have got some kind of magic Tasmanian juju because my feet always feel good. Could feel the left foot kind of getting tired but it's been a lot worse. The next day, though? I could barely walk at all. So yeah, if I want to start doing some serious walking and not just around the block once, then I have to fix my foot. :(
Hope you get relief soon

Hi everyone hope you all had a good New Year, mine was pretty wild as on December 30th I was rushed to hospital after having a big heart attack then had to be put in ICU because I caught the Flu, nearly died a couple of times. Now back home resting and will be starting a rehab in about 4 weeks to help me get up and about again.

Hi everyone hope you all had a good New Year, mine was pretty wild as on December 30th I was rushed to hospital after having a big heart attack then had to be put in ICU because I caught the Flu, nearly died a couple of times. Now back home resting and will be starting a rehab in about 4 weeks to help me get up and about again.
Very sorry to hear you had to go through that but good news that you are back home again and on the right road once more.
Wish you all the very best in your full recovery.

@Fujidave ....Wow that's not the way to start a new year. Hope you're on the mend quickly.

@Fujidave ....Wow that's not the way to start a new year. Hope you're on the mend quickly.

Thank you smoke, it was very scary, and as I call it very creepy while on the ICU ward as was hallucinating a lot.

Good grief! I'm glad you're well enough to check in with us, but very sorry you had to end/start a year in this way. Hope the rehab goes smoothly and you can get back to your old self. Relax and take care of yourself!

Good grief! I'm glad you're well enough to check in with us, but very sorry you had to end/start a year in this way. Hope the rehab goes smoothly and you can get back to your old self. Relax and take care of yourself!

Thank you teri, it was a scary thing to happen and has totally changed my outlook on things now in my life. Plus I will be changing to a lighter camera now so in time will sell my X-T5 and some lenses and get the Olympus Mk 5 III with a 14.42mm pancake lens.

Yikes! Glad you’re still with us. Get well and stay healthy.

Hey hosers.

Tenure...Hoping it's all just a formality!

Tenure...Hoping it's all just a formality!

Me too! I'm told by many people to not worry about it, and I just got the letter today from my department saying they are recommending me (it then goes to a central committee - yes, all very Soviet - and then the President.) But I have learned from experience to always be only *cautiously* optimistic.

Last year, I got my reappointment letter mid-March, so I'm hoping the timeline is at least the same or faster. And then I won't have to put in another portfolio until I'm ready to try for a promotion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back