What's new

The Coffee House

Deceptive is an understatement. There's a scam going around here, where they list a vehicle on FB Marketplace at a low price compared to comparable models. When you inquire about it, the poster says they listed it for a friend and gives you an email address to contact. When you email the link they respond with a cock and bull story about the vehicle being out of state and will be shipped to you free of charge, blah, blah, blah. Or the other thing is an employee of a car lot, posting a low ball price, but when you respond they tell you that it's the down payment. :mad-44:
Yes we saw that “down payment” price a few times. At least those were easy to weed out in the too good to be true category. It was the ones that were in the great deal but not obviously tgtbt that were the worst. I just don’t like having my time wasted. And I made a point to call or text all the relevant weeding out questions ahead of time only to get there and find this bs:

#1 - car not really for sale that must have been my dad you talked to he made a mistake (confirmed the appointment before we left the house) ????

#2 - no carfax on hand (there was one pictured online) and car advertised as great condition now being sold “as is”

#3 - again no promised carfax and btw this car has a rebuilt title after being totaled by the insurer !

#4 - no promised carfax on hand and couldn’t pull it up on his computer, no plate available so wanted us to “test drive” around the vacant lot, obvious front end damage and a few side swipes
 
@SquarePeg They used to prey on women thinking they were naive, I raised my daughter and son to know their way around a vehicle. Sounds like you either had parents that did the same, or you've learned a thing or two along the way. Now it seems the younger set is so far removed from mechanical knowledge the scumbags will prey on either.
 
One of the things they do here is park a car nar the road, typically at the end of a long driveway, put a hand lettered sign on it so it looks like it's a private sale. They are trying to avoid payfing for a business license.

What did she get, Sharon?
 
"Curbsiders" are a PITA, especially when it's a neighbor's side hustle and you're labeled a prissy SOB for complaining about that AND his garage repair biz. Got the city to bust the guy. Nasty fines and bigger ones later if he didn't quit. Moved out a few weeks later. Who needs impact wrench staccato at 1a.m.?
 
Last edited:
We had a hawk (don't know which kind) in the big oak tree this morning, but he flew off before I could get the camera. I'm hoping he comes back.

I haven't seen any squirrels around, today.
 
Yes we saw that “down payment” price a few times. At least those were easy to weed out in the too good to be true category. It was the ones that were in the great deal but not obviously tgtbt that were the worst. I just don’t like having my time wasted. And I made a point to call or text all the relevant weeding out questions ahead of time only to get there and find this bs:

#1 - car not really for sale that must have been my dad you talked to he made a mistake (confirmed the appointment before we left the house) ????

#2 - no carfax on hand (there was one pictured online) and car advertised as great condition now being sold “as is”

#3 - again no promised carfax and btw this car has a rebuilt title after being totaled by the insurer !

#4 - no promised carfax on hand and couldn’t pull it up on his computer, no plate available so wanted us to “test drive” around the vacant lot, obvious front end damage and a few side swipes
I'm just glad it's over and she has some decent wheels. That's what counts!
 
@SquarePeg They used to prey on women thinking they were naive, I raised my daughter and son to know their way around a vehicle. Sounds like you either had parents that did the same, or you've learned a thing or two along the way. Now it seems the younger set is so far removed from mechanical knowledge the scumbags will prey on either.
Had no choice but to figure it out for myself. Fortunately there’s a lot of info available online on what to look out for!

One of the things they do here is park a car nar the road, typically at the end of a long driveway, put a hand lettered sign on it so it looks like it's a private sale. They are trying to avoid payfing for a business license.

What did she get, Sharon?
It’s a 2011 Honda Pilot. Nothing fancy but they last forever and usually win the fight in an accident. I’m almost jealous as I miss my old Pilot all the time. My CRV is ok but I prefer to be higher up and I like the stronger engine. Test driving the Pilot yesterday made me realize how much I used to enjoy driving and how little I like driving the CRV. On the bright side, Princess is going to be my chief schlepper come time for spring garden center trips.

"Curbsiders" are a PITA, especially when it's a neighbor's side hustle and you're labeled a prissy SOB for complaining about that AND his garage repair biz. Got the city to bust the guy. Nasty fines and bigger ones later if he didn't quit. Moved out a few weeks later. Who needs impact wrench staccato at 1a.m.?

I don’t mind if the neighbors want a side hustle and are probably dodging Uncle Sam as long as it isn’t an inconvenience for me! We have one secret hair dresser on our block and one who has a personal trainer set up in her garage. No noise or parking issues so we’re good.
 
Hi all just getting the garden sorted, the flowers planter, first veg sown... now we have bleep bleep weather, cold poss snow, rain. Hope I don’t loose the lot.
 
This is why I can't enjoy spring. One of the gazillion pine trees in bloom around us. The awful yellow dust is in the air, covering everything.
20230308_163339.webp
 
This is why I can't enjoy spring. One of the gazillion pine trees in bloom around us. The awful yellow dust is in the air, covering everything.View attachment 264440
Nastiest stuff around. I remember looking up and seeing these yellow pods - with dread!

And y'all are just getting started. Bless your hearts. :1247:
 
Winter is back! It was 70 on Monday. I'm ready for everything to be in bloom and warm days.
March is a tough month! So many days that tease us into thinking winter is in the rear view mirror. We've had some beautiful days lately - and now expect 2-4" inches of snow on Friday. :lol:

At least this time of year we know it doesn't stick around long. But still.
 
March is a tough month! So many days that tease us into thinking winter is in the rear view mirror. We've had some beautiful days lately - and now expect 2-4" inches of snow on Friday. :lol:

At least this time of year we know it doesn't stick around long. But still.
Yup. Still berg-size blocks of ice+snow curbside from last Fri-Sat's "Snowmageddon" and a bit less cued up for this Friday. Ordered seeds arrived this week so there's a bit of flotsam to cling to till Spring!
 
. Still berg-size blocks of ice+snow curbside from last Fri-Sat's "Snowmageddon" and a bit less cued up for this Friday.

Crazy! We've had to run the A/C as daytime temperatures are hovering in the high 70's and with all the pollen about, can't open any windows. Looks like I'll be servicing the mower in the next day or two, as the lawn is greening up fast.
 
Still snow on the ground here in the shady parts of the yard. It actually snowed for a few minutes in the morning yesterday. Expecting more this weekend I believe.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom