The Coffee House

I was my MIL and Mom's "it" person after the Dad's died. Doctor's appts, help at home, etc. When my Mom moved to assisted living was mad understandably. Since I was the daily person, I got the grief. My siblings visited and were the "breath of fresh air" and I was "the old shoe". After months of this I finally had a heart to heart with her. I told her that if I were her I would be mad as a hornet moving out of my home, but please don't take it out on me. She didn't realize that she was. I told her it is ok to vent to me just not at me.

My MIL wanted to move her formal dining room set to her independent one bedroom apartment too. I told her they serve meals in the dining room.
Sounds normal for the one doing all the work to get the flack, I have three sisters who live closer to mum who don’t do much. I do the doc appts etc. asked my sister to cook lunch for mum just after dad passed… she said no because she was cooking for a friends mum…. And I step down off my soap box.
just a post so that you know you are not the only one.. hang in there

Sounds normal for the one doing all the work to get the flack, I have three sisters who live closer to mum who don’t do much. I do the doc appts etc. asked my sister to cook lunch for mum just after dad passed… she said no because she was cooking for a friends mum…. And I step down off my soap box.
just a post so that you know you are not the only one.. hang in there
Both Mom's have passed now. It was like a full time job and after they passed my life seemed empty. My brother was in town once when Mom got out of the hospital. I said since you are staying there then make her breakfast and I'll be over later. Well, get there and Mom is cooking his breakfast!

Not everyone has the caretaker gene and best to just do things and not ask.

We watch Oak Island and Skinwalker ranch. They edit previous footage into the new footage. If it was all new footage then each episode would be 15 minutes long :) I do like seeing what they discover, the history, and the metal enhancement gadget machines.

My wife made it through the first Mother’s Day without Daniel. We had the three kids’ rooms painted on Friday and Saturday, and she spent today shampooing the carpet in what was Daniel’s room. She has decided to redo it in a sand and sea theme in his memory, and I think it is going to look fantastic. I think today provided some catharsis for her. I think our trip to the West Cost will also be cathartic.
It does sound cathartic, and I agree the theme will look fantastic. Sounds like she's staying busy in good ways. One day, one step, at a time. Best to you and the family.

I was my MIL and Mom's "it" person after the Dad's died. Doctor's appts, help at home, etc. When my Mom moved to assisted living was mad understandably. Since I was the daily person, I got the grief. My siblings visited and were the "breath of fresh air" and I was "the old shoe". After months of this I finally had a heart to heart with her. I told her that if I were her I would be mad as a hornet moving out of my home, but please don't take it out on me. She didn't realize that she was. I told her it is ok to vent to me just not at me.

My MIL wanted to move her formal dining room set to her independent one bedroom apartment too. I told her they serve meals in the dining room.
Sounds familiar! ;) My mom was angry with me for explaining again why she didn't need to pack her pots and pans! The daily person does catch all these details. :lol:

My dad went through the same emotions when they moved into assisted living. He would go and remove items from the van that were being donated, and take them back in the house, and it took time for him to get used to the idea that he didn't need them any longer and that there was no place to put them in the small 2BR flat they were going to live in. My brother and step sister had to endure his ire during that process.

@CherylL Both my parents died relatively young. My MIL "did not go gentle into that good night". We lived 7hrs away, and they were going downhill fast. Tried to get them to move to an assisted living....nope, wasn't gonna happen. Then it got ugly, she accused us of all kind of things from trying to steal their money to threats of reporting us for elder abuse. Finally had no choice but to back off and leave them to their own care. Wasn't but a few months later, she called on a Saturday, wanted to go to nursing home on Monday.🙄 After that it wasn't to bad. Loved her dearly, but she was always a royal PITA.

I think they just said this hockey playoff game is the 9th longest in NHL history! They've basically played two full games already... And it goes on - 4th OT.

They go up the ice, and down the ice... Wonder if those fans in the stands will go to work tomorrow?!! lol Good thing I had iced coffee with dinner.

'And the best game you can name, is the good ol' hockey game...' Stompin' Tom Connors, playing over the PA in the arena.

And about the time I thought they were going into yet another OT - Florida won! And with a rat on the ice, the game's over.

(A plastic one, a blast from the past from when they used to play in a cruddy dump that had rats and a player whacked one with his stick...).

Again tonight, Florida won with the same player scoring (and setting a record), in 1 OT this time (glad this one didn't go all hours!); a (plastic) rat on the ice and it's game over!

We don’t seem to get hockey games on tv here, sound like it was very good. Here during the big tenis wimberdon matches there are a lot of sick days.

Morning y'all. Our tropical monsoon season continues. Yesterday sun, wake up to rain this morning, tomorrow sun, followed by rain, then sun, rain, sun, rain. Guess i should be thankful, but it really is getting monotonous. 😐

Good morning, hosers. The past few days have been upper 70s or Lower 80s as a high, but going down to the 60s at night.

Another short week - MLW is off Friday for Firefighter Apperciation Day (since she works for the agency), so I'm taking leave. We are going to go shed shopping, among other things, then hang out with MLSIL until she finishes work for the day before bringing her home.

@snowbear I have a friend who retired from his regular job, turned around and opened a building/shed sales lot. He's got everything from little to huge. Seems to be doing well with it, offers free delivery within 50 miles........might be just a tad outside that range for you. LOL

One thing you might look into, most of the building sales offer financing. I question how well they check the people they finance, because there seems to be a lot of repos for sale. Usually they go for much less than the new.

We went back and forth over the size - 10x14 for shed only or around 12x20 for shed + small workshop. We decided on the 10x14 and keep shop in the basement. We won't need a building permit needed for 150 sq feet or less, though we'll need one for the electrical hookup. It will likely be buit on site unless they have exactly what we're looking for in stock., though it may be pre-fabbed and assembled here. There are two or three places that will deliver/build to our location.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back