The Coffee House

Working in an attic, in the south, in the middle of summer......oh heck no
Had radiant barrier installed late last year, and it keeps the attic temp within 2 to 4 degrees of outside ambient temp. I went up while it was still around 80F, but it did warm up quickly.

@CherylL : aw, that's too bad about the grand's dirt bike not starting- I'm sure she was really looking forward to that! But she looks great in the pic, and still got her parade ride in. Very cute!

We ended up having an unusually busy (for us) Festive 4th. We're usually a couple of shut-ins on that day! We wanted to check out a nearby Taco festival - thought we'd bike over but there was a heat index of 100 degrees so we drove. It was fun, watched a couple of good bands, had fun sampling the food trucks. Wisely laid off the tequila. :drunken_smilie:

The fireworks were only a block away, and our street was lined with cars. It was a street festival atmosphere - loved it!

The cats took refuge under the bed and we watched from the deck, drinking wine.

Bad cell phone shots! :lol:

20230704_222523.jpg

20230704_223107.jpg

20230704_223056.jpg

I went out front and set up my camera for our Liberty by the Lake fireworks show on the weekend, but went to bed at my usual time on the 4th due to work the next day. Unfortunately, there are power lines right across the sky where the fireworks show, so I really haven't found a shot that I liked. On the down side, there were yayhoos setting of firecrackers into the wee hours of the morning, including within the wildlife refuge, and they left a mess on the trail.

I love when you can see the fireworks without the crowds! Princess and I used to go to my uncles in hernando beach Fl for the long weekend every 4th and from his back yard you could see them all up and down the coast. We would watch from the pool. Floating around watching the skies! It was fabulous. Here at home we have the country club a few blocks behind us. They’re annual fireworks show will be next Saturday and can be seen from our deck.

On the down side, there were yayhoos setting of firecrackers into the wee hours of the morning, including within the wildlife refuge, and they left a mess on the trail.
That is some crap! I'm sure it was just some thoughtless kids trying to escape the adults. Still, it would be beneficial to them AND the wildlife if they had been caught and educated about leaving certain areas alone. The noise alone is upsetting to all kinds of critters.

I do enjoy fireworks, but struggle with this aspect of them. :(

We’re fortunate that they don’t seem to bother Harlie at all. She barely notices fireworks or thunder, even when it’s close by. Our little papillon Xing was a bundle of nerves on the 4th and would hide in the basement under a chair during thunderstorms.

@CherylL : aw, that's too bad about the grand's dirt bike not starting- I'm sure she was really looking forward to that! But she looks great in the pic, and still got her parade ride in. Very cute!

We ended up having an unusually busy (for us) Festive 4th. We're usually a couple of shut-ins on that day! We wanted to check out a nearby Taco festival - thought we'd bike over but there was a heat index of 100 degrees so we drove. It was fun, watched a couple of good bands, had fun sampling the food trucks. Wisely laid off the tequila. :drunken_smilie:

The fireworks were only a block away, and our street was lined with cars. It was a street festival atmosphere - loved it!

The cats took refuge under the bed and we watched from the deck, drinking wine.

Bad cell phone shots! :lol:

View attachment 267017

View attachment 267018

View attachment 267019
Good view a block away! We can see our town's display about 1 mile away. Too muggy to sit outside last night.

the down side, there were yayhoos setting of firecrackers into the wee hours of the morning

Yes it's sad that there are those who have little concern for any one but themselves. Id hoped that with the 4th being during the week, that it wouldnt continue late. Most around us were over by 10, which you can live with, but there were several scattered mortars going off till well after midnight. Phobe's noise anxieties are worse than any dog we've ever had so it wasn't a fun night for us.

We had someone one street over setting off a bunch of direworks, mainly cones (they are illegal for individuals in this County) When it was time to take MLSIL back home, MLW decided to stay home with Zoe. She was very good, and pretty much ignored the noise; she did seem to watch the colors outside from her spot o the floor.

When we left for the trip north (she lives near Baltimore), we were a bit ahead of the traffic leaving the fireworks from DC and National Harbor (95 and the Potomac RIver, south of the city). We had code red, code purple, and "hazardous" air quality: from the fireworks, not the Canadian wild fires. You could see it hanging, in places.

I somehow landed the responsibility of making the supper meals since I started working from home, even if the dear Spousal Unit is on Summer break. Today I forgot to get meat out to defrost, so I decided to go to WalMart and see if inspiration would hit while walking the grocery aisles. SU texts me and says that Child Unit 04 wants hummus and pita. And then it hit! So I got the pita and some hummus, and then picked up some thin sliced chicken breast, and some tomatoes, a cucumber, and parsley. I cut up the chicken into thin strips and dry marinated with shawarma seasoning, and sauteed it, filling the house with the delicious aroma of shawarma spices. I cut up the tomato, cucumber, a Vidalia onion, and the parsley and mixed that up for a salad. Since we didn't have tzatziki, I took a cup of Fage Greek yogurt and mixed in a little milk to thin it out a bit, and spiced it up with garlic, white pepper, and za'atar seasoning. Everyone was very satisfied with the results. Gotta forget to thaw meat more often, I guess... 🙃

I somehow landed the responsibility of making the supper meals since I started working from home, even if the dear Spousal Unit is on Summer break. Today I forgot to get meat out to defrost, so I decided to go to WalMart and see if inspiration would hit while walking the grocery aisles. SU texts me and says that Child Unit 04 wants hummus and pita. And then it hit! So I got the pita and some hummus, and then picked up some thin sliced chicken breast, and some tomatoes, a cucumber, and parsley. I cut up the chicken into thin strips and dry marinated with shawarma seasoning, and sauteed it, filling the house with the delicious aroma of shawarma spices. I cut up the tomato, cucumber, a Vidalia onion, and the parsley and mixed that up for a salad. Since we didn't have tzatziki, I took a cup of Fage Greek yogurt and mixed in a little milk to thin it out a bit, and spiced it up with garlic, white pepper, and za'atar seasoning. Everyone was very satisfied with the results. Gotta forget to thaw meat more often, I guess... 🙃
Sounds amazing!

Just a quick hack next time you forget to defrost- if you put the frozen meat in a glass baking pan with cold water, package and all, it will defrost so fast you’ll be amazed. Under an hour for chicken breast or steaks. If it’s in a grocery pack with the tray, put it face down. If it’s wrapped in plastic wrap or paper from the butcher, put it in a zip lock bag. Flip it over after 15-20 minutes. Much quicker than a grocery run.

You "somehow" landed the responsibility of supper.... ? :biglaugh:

Honey (said in my best Southern accent), I'd make it my mission in life to come up with ways to keep that ball in your court - you're a natural!

Sounds amazing!

Just a quick hack next time you forget to defrost- if you put the frozen meat in a glass baking pan with cold water, package and all, it will defrost so fast you’ll be amazed. Under an hour for chicken breast or steaks. If it’s in a grocery pack with the tray, put it face down. If it’s wrapped in plastic wrap or paper from the butcher, put it in a zip lock bag. Flip it over after 15-20 minutes. Much quicker than a grocery run.
I do that with frozen fish fillets like flounder, but have never tried it with beef or chicken. Will have to give that hack a try.
You "somehow" landed the responsibility of supper.... ? :biglaugh:

Honey (said in my best Southern accent), I'd make it my mission in life to come up with ways to keep that ball in your court - you're a natural!
Along with photography and plant tending, cooking is one of my stress relief activities. :)

I did two one inch thick pork chops last night using that method...less than an hour later they were in the oven.

So the wildfires in Canada have polluted our northern states air with smoke. Now on the news plumes of Saharan dust projected to impact air quality in Florida....what's next Locust??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back