The Coffee House

We had a good weekend. Friday, DSW's birthday, Saturday, our 39th celebrated, and today the kids came over (3 sons, one DIL, and a granddaughter) and we had salmon eggs benedict (again 😋 ), bacon, an assortment of fruits and berries, and mimosas... well, the grand just had the OJ... and then they spent the day working on a Disney themed puzzle.
Happy anniversary!

Update on the steel privacy screens: added 3 50lb sand bags to the base. Wind gusts heavy today and the screens are not moving an inch.

Heading into the office shortly.

Anyone who's been to or through Baltimore might recognize this bridge. At least seven cars into the Patapsco River, ships looking for alternate ports.

Francis Scott Key Bridge Collape

Last edited:

Anyone who's been to or through Baltimore might recognize this bridge. At least seven cars into the Patapsco River, ships looking for alternate ports.

Just came here to check and make sure you were ok after seeing this on the news. What an awful situation. Stay safe.

I saw that on the news earlier. This was the beginning of a really bad day for many.

Thought of you immediately, Charlie. 💔 What a terrible tragedy. Looked like a horror movie. Stay safe.

We're not near it, at all. MLSIL is a little south of Baltimore, but not near that. Worst case for us (and her) is the traffic that will be overflowing onto alternate routes. When we travel to and from New England on I-95, we've always taken one of the harbor tunnels; they are a lot more direct than the bridge.

The news, this morning, said something about rerouting for "a few days." That person does not have a clue - it might take a few days to get the pieces out of the water, but the road will be closed for a couple months at best. The metal span is basically gone.

Photo from WTOP News. This would be looking south (the ship would have been traveling northwest towards the harbor.
Maryland-Bridge-Collapse_44745-1880x1052.jpg

Last edited:
latest is saying at least 8 people missing. I saw a video online that showed quite a few cars going over the bridge just a few minutes before. close call for many people. Thankfully this wasn’t during rush hour.

Hi all hope you and all your family are ok, the bridge is on bbc news here.... thought of you accross the pond
best wishes to all
katomi

Last edited:
Hi all hope you and all your family are ok, the ridge is on bbc news here.... thought of you accross the pond
best wishes to all
katomi
I first saw it mentioned on a Donnegal (Ireland) fb page. I hadn't turned on the news, yet.

The initial reports were at least seven cars into the water, so at least seven people. The Fire Chief said SONAR shows vehicles on the riverbed but they couldn't tell how many. Of the two rescued, one was taken to the trauma center, the other refused transport. Thankfully, this didn't happen at at 4:30 PM when there are a lot of cars on the road.

MD Transportation Authority says the bridge handled 12.4 million commercial and passenger vehicles in 2023.

We're not near it, at all. MLSIL is a little south of Baltimore, but not near that. Worst case for us (and her) is the traffic that will be overflowing onto alternate routes. When we travel to and from New England on I-95, we've always taken one of the harbor tunnels; they are a lot more direct than the bridge.

The news, this morning, said something about rerouting for "a few days." That person does not have a clue - it might take a few days to get the pieces out of the water, but the road will be closed for a couple months at best. The metal span is basically gone.

Photo from WTOP News. This would be looking south (the ship would have been traveling northwest towards the harbor.
Maryland-Bridge-Collapse_44745-1880x1052.jpg

Sh!t, that's crazy! 😬

Several of us have been discussing the fact that there were no tugs on the vessel. Someone said (no idea if they're right) that they guide ships coming in with tugs, but they leave under their own power. Bet there's some new rules after this.

Most reactions

Back