What's new

The Coffee House

@snowbear I was just thinking about Gary A. the other day. It's been a few months since I talked to him, need to check in on him I guess.

Headed to the lake next week, crappie are in their fall run. I'd planed on fishing a couple days but after a month of no rain it looks like it's finally in the forecast🤨
I talked to him before the pandemic; there were a bunch of wildfires going on. I'll try giving him a call later.
 
I thought there would be post-Halloween candy sales, and there were some, but the price drop was disappointing, so I didn't buy anything. Not yet anyway.

Candy is outrageously overpriced since Covid. I don’t buy it anymore if I can avoid it.
 
We got one herd of 12 kids of varying ages from four to sixteen or so. Handed out fists full of candy and still had too much left over in a house that has a diabetic and a pre-diabetic. Only one house down the street decorated. This is my first year home for Halloween, as usually I go to Richmond VA to go out with the niece and nephew. In Richmond the kids, and some adults, wander in huge packs, much different from here.

In other news, a cold front finally moved through and temps have dropped, but it is still awfully humid. Got to sit outside on the patio finally, so that was nice. T-storms with high winds and hail are headed our way starting this evening and over the next few days. We'll have to see how the new pup handles storms, but given that she was probably on the streets for a while according to the Vet, she'll probably be just fine. She is adapting well, and actually curled up next to me for the night, so I guess she's accepted me as her guardian.
 
Oh your THAT house lol! Do you put on a scary mask and frighten the little ones too? The kids love it!

No Halloween specific plans for me. We do not get any trick-or-treaters on my end of the street, sadly. It’s a very busy street - lots of cars. The neighborhood behind us is very popular with very little traffic and lots of kids running around so everybody pretty much heads over there. Last year I went to a friends house and helped give out candy, which was fun because I don’t normally get to do a lot of that. This year I have plans to take my mom and my aunt out for drinks and appetizers.

Had the electrician here today to install a new ceiling fan in Princess’s room and a couple of nest thermostats. Very modern and techie.
In my early teens, I'd join my precociously degenerate pals and trick-or-treat with shot glasses. Remarkably effective...A very boozy hood full of "Rat Pack" adults!
 
Unfortunately candy is not on my diet, despite that I brought home a buy one get one bag of little Kit Kats. As my loving DW was helping me consume the first bag, she hid the 2nd bag. She claims it was to ration out to Lil'Bit, course I have no way of verification of that because I can't find where she hid the <(&%# bag, and neither she nor Lil'Bit are giving up its location.:mad-44:
 
Unfortunately candy is not on my diet, despite that I brought home a buy one get one bag of little Kit Kats. As my loving DW was helping me consume the first bag, she hid the 2nd bag. She claims it was to ration out to Lil'Bit, course I have no way of verification of that because I can't find where she hid the <(&%# bag, and neither she nor Lil'Bit are giving up its location.:mad-44:
Maybe it's me but boxed candy quality is iffy now. I buy it for the little kids but do small dollar store gifts for older kids who do nice costumes. There's a tribe of three goth sisters up my street who get special stuff. All three did their own take on "Resident Evil Village" character Bela Demitrescu. Keeps 'em busy. Probably scared the $hit out some in my 'hood. Good on them!
 
Last edited:
Had a total of 6 trick or treaters. Road construction at the entrance of our street and only open one lane to thru traffic. The monster culvert is in and now concrete the road is in progress. Haven't washed the car in over a month. Too muddy and dusty.
 
We get our favorites at Dollar Tree or Dollar General. Small quantities. The best chocolate is at Aldi. German?
I splurge on German, Dutch and Belgian chocolate. Really like Meiji Japanese chocolate products, too.
 
Zoe started at 05:00 for her breakfast: time change is fantsastic. 🙄

No pottery, yesterday but we're going to The Barn Show to drop off some nutcrackers, a Christmas themed pitcher with mugs (for eggnog we think), the last of the porcelain birds, and a few other little things we found in the basement and the attic. MLW made baked ziti for dinner and I made "Wicked" cupcakes. The cake color isn't revealed until the liquid indredients are added to the dry mix (it was pink).

I have to pull the spare Jeep wheels out of the storage room and install the TPMS modules, then take them for snow tires. I'm going to take them to Maine next weekend; I'll probably put them on the truck at Thanksgiving.
 
have to pull the spare Jeep wheels out of the storage room and install the TPMS modules, then take them for snow tires. I'm going

Have TPMS on the new trailer, hooked it up on the last trip. Drove me bananas for the first 100 miles or so with alerts going off. First mistake, I set the cold pressure on the tires using my tire gauge and set the alert on the TPMS at 10 lbs over. Apparently there's a substantial discrepancy between my tire gauge and the TPMS, so I was stopping every few miles to let air out of the tires to get them in range based on temperature. Now I need to verify if my gauge is off or the TPMS.
 
My dad back in the day worked several years for a major candy manufacturer. He would tell us seasonal candy like Halloween bars were manufactured often 4-6 months ahead due to production time availability. So basically they are damn near stale before even bought. Exception was the bars containing nuts as the shelf life is less so they are manufactured a little closer to the date.
 
Hi all talking of sweets, um guilty there was a tub next to me in opened three days ago. Sat here unable to do much some how the tub is now empty...... best hope my diabetic review does not come up any time soon
 
My dad back in the day worked several years for a major candy manufacturer. He would tell us seasonal candy like Halloween bars were manufactured often 4-6 months ahead due to production time availability. So basically they are damn near stale before even bought. Exception was the bars containing nuts as the shelf life is less so they are manufactured a little closer to the date.
Jeeesh, the funsize CoffeeCrisps this year were like choco-coated Kevlar!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom